Model Cars Magazine Forum

UGH!  I feel for ya' on that one man.  I too would just walk away while I ponder what to do next.  Your commitment to the car and what you want from it are to be commended.  I know you'll get it the way you want ultimately.  Keep at it man!    I'll be sure to follow along.   Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Keep up the good work!!! Looks really good. But sometimes a model can be too much. We all know the feeling. You are very skilled and it will work out. I have walked away many times but in the middle of the night it will come to you. Keep going and I agree with Codi that you will get it the way you want it. I’m following along also! 

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody, hello Bruce, I just found this thread and registered to the forum because right now I am restoring the very same model which I built some 30 years ago.

I am highly impressed by your work, Bruce, this is really good stuff.

I have the same problem you are encountering because I want to paint the side parts of the bodywork. And I do not have the decals anymore to make a scan.

So my question is: If you have the decals, and if you do make a scan, would it be possible for you to share a copy with me? Then I could make some masks for the paint work ...

Thank you and greetings from Germany

Magnus (but everybody calls me Mold)

• 1 month later...

So,...

After much mulling, I decided to continue with the decals,..Micro Sol..Micro Set,....

0HrDbEc.jpg

Decals responded well to the products,..just , old decals... lot of silvering under the clear due to old, dried out adhesive,

I went as far as pin holing the silvered areas the next day, and applying more MicroSet,.....and etc.

GnSGXeV.jpg

Calling it a 3 footer,..for now...am ordering new decals from Mike's Decals (IndyCals doesn't print metallics anymore)

Need to cut 3 or 4 coils out of those front coil overs too.

and more... 

If there is sun tomorrow, I will shoot some outside

Cheers

Next up,... the base... 

Edited by Belugawrx

The latest in the WR1 saga

The front coil overs were unhooked from the bottom 'C' connection, simple snap and...better

zSf4faO.jpg

was able to squeeze the side pods in and pin them with a brass bolt #00-90 X1/4"

T8diUFz.jpg

9zWjZXW.jpg

nWpxWgS.jpg

Almost threw this one against an inanimate object a dozen times...

All in all after 4 years I can say, that without this forum,..I could not have built this..

The views, comments and encouragement really helped push this to the end,..

This is a great building site.

Twokidsnosleep...I'm thinking of getting rid of a couple 1:12 Tamiyas....pm me !lol

Fantastic stuff, love your work.

As I told some weeks ago, I am also trying to rebuild an old WR1 model, and I would like to show you how I did the sidepod painting.

Here are the pre-painted parts.

tsrjg8xo.jpg

Then I put some gold paint on the sidepods. Here are the maskings, printed on self-adhesive paper and cut out by hand.

htr6lkq9.jpg

Fixed them on the sidepods.

4dfhh8uo.jpg

Primer again.

odp4ex4r.jpg

Blue color.

m63og5tm.jpg

Result.

uxx6dx8a.jpg

It's not perfect, but not as bad as I suspected. I am unsure whether or not to put clear coat on top. Thanks for your help in this forum.

Mm.

Thank you Bruce! :)

This is the current status of my project. Don't blame me for the seatbelts, I took them from a Renault RE20 kit many years ago, when I was young and dumb. Today I am old and dumb.

oo2qem92.jpg

Unfortunately the blue #20 is not available any more, it says "soon back in stock".

I would like to make the '77 version again, so I guess I have to wait. All I have is the decal set from Indycals for the '78 version which is also sold out now ...

Mm.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...