Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oven Cleaner, Simple Green, Whestlies, .... The Results Are In!

OK,

Keep in mind, along with some chrome parts I had frame and rear end parts with several coats of paints on top of one coat of primer.

I started with the Easy Off (yellow can), put all parts in a plastic container and sprayed several coats of E.O on them until well cover in standing liquid.

Results: After 2 days, 95% of the paint remained, even after a brushing with a tooth brush. :(

( I had much better results cleaning the oven) ;)

Rinsed and dried all parts, put them back in the container and completely covered with Simple Green. ;)

Results: Another 2 days, 85% of paint remained even after brushing, I then was able to remove most of the paint by scraping with a thumb nail (this took about 1 hour to do). :blink:

Rinsed and dried all parts and put them back in the container and coated them with whestlies over night.

Results: I was able to brush away all remaining paint and primer, including all chrome with a tooth brush.

All parts have now been completely rinsed and are drying :rolleyes:

Once again I thank all for the suggestions, the feeling has come back in my thumb and I am now ready to start all over again building the perfect beast :P

OK,

Keep in mind, along with some chrome parts I had frame and rear end parts with several coats of paints on top of one coat of primer.

I started with the Easy Off (yellow can), put all parts in a plastic container and sprayed several coats of E.O on them until well cover in standing liquid.

Results: After 2 days, 95% of the paint remained, even after a brushing with a tooth brush. :(

( I had much better results cleaning the oven) ;)

Rinsed and dried all parts, put them back in the container and completely covered with Simple Green. ;)

Results: Another 2 days, 85% of paint remained even after brushing, I then was able to remove most of the paint by scraping with a thumb nail (this took about 1 hour to do). :blink:

Rinsed and dried all parts and put them back in the container and coated them with whestlies over night.

Results: I was able to brush away all remaining paint and primer, including all chrome with a tooth brush.

All parts have now been completely rinsed and are drying :rolleyes:

Once again I thank all for the suggestions, the feeling has come back in my thumb and I am now ready to start all over again building the perfect beast :P

By Whestlies...I assume you are referencing Whestlies White Wall cleaner.

I have used this product to remove chrome...does an extremely good job of removing chrome and the clear barrier without damaging the plastic

did not think of trying it on paint - duh!

will give it go next time i have to strip paint

thanx

As James said, brake fluid will do it when all else fails. The only problem I found with brake fluid is when stripping plastic that has already been glued. Sometimes, (not all the time) it will disolve the glue and some plastic where old glue has contacted the plastic. This can be helpful by allowing parts previously glued to come apart easier but you might have to use putty to rebuild what is disolved from a joint line or seam. Don't use brake fluid on resin parts unless your into making a gooey mess out of your resin.

I have never had luck with brake fluid. It never gets everything off for me and seems to be harder to wash off with warm water then paople state. 90% alchy works some say. I find it does on chrome, but nor so well on paint. Purple Power from Walmart seems to be my trick to all of the above. The only downfall is if I use it too much, my hands try to break out so I either have to use it occasionaly or wear gloves.Thats fine with me.

I've had some pretty good success with Super Clean. Stripped of Testors & Tamiya paint without too much extra effort. Had no success with Heavy Duty Easy-Off (oven cleaner). I was using it on Tamiya paint, and it just gave the yellow paint a motteled brown covering. Both worked on chrome quite well.

• 3 weeks later...