Model Cars Magazine Forum

scratchbuilt - ?

Okay, to bring this back a little;

I made this Watson Indy car frame entirely from Evergreen Styrene rod and .010" sheet.

watson-vi.jpg

To me it is built from scratch.

Now here is a trailer I made for a top fuel dragster (Notice I didn't type FED, that's a whole 'nother rant! :( )

trailer01-vi.jpg

trailer02-vi.jpg

trailer03-vi.jpg

This too is made entirely from Evergreen Sheet and shapes like angle, etc. Except, of course, for the wheels and tires and those posters which were scanned from various sources. So, it's not really 100% scratchbuilt, or is it? :D

May I borrow 2 cups of white flour?

ngbbs4990f6bf30ac5.jpg

Since we've already touched on grammar Nazis (note lack of apostrophe) and baking from scratch, I figured this would be German, oops, germane. Full disclosure: I happen to have this t-shirt :D

Must every post on every thread be meaningful and profound?

We're just a bunch of model geeks sittin' around talking about stuff and having a little fun.

Agree! My friends and I gather for lunch occationally and the converstion is not topic limited. Some times the tangents are as much fun as the main topic. It is not the destination but the journey that is the joy in life.

Drew, thank you , but that was not my goal, I was just having some fun :lol: , did you build yours before Galaxie trailers came about ?, there are still things not great about mine, I just hide it in the photos :lol: , if you find the link I posted a few pages back, there are a lot more pics of it , I have done three so far, and that is the best one so far

I built my trailer about a year ago, Johnathan. It's supposed to represent the typical dragster trailer from the sixties so it's a quit a bit lower in height than a Galaxie trailer.

I haven't worked on it in a while and there are still a lot of details to add.

And yes, I hide stuff in photos too! :lol:

okay, okay. now i'm going to work on my new build. its a scratchbuilt kit from Revel

Hey wait a minute. I think you have something there.

Yes, Revell does make scratch built kits. They take plastic materials and they make a kit out of it.

So most of us do build scratch built kits.

Edited by Hollywood Jim

My models usually contain parts from different kits as well as parts I fabricate. Until there exists a universally accepted term that describes this type of modelling, I guess it's up to me to determine how to describe it.

It's the lingo people develop that sets MY teeth on edge..."I just squirted my model with a rattle can and now I gotta let it gas out..."

I'm surprised no one has commented on post 103, above. If you don't know that stuff, you don't know real scratchbuilt.

I've seen that work before...it's exquisite, the real deal, and so far beyond my ability now....well, like I said, it's the real deal. Thanks for posting the links. It's good to have a reminder of something so incredibly inspiring.

And in the very same post you used the word "build" as a noun which is also incorrect. I'm just sayin' :D

But of course you're not alone in this. The incorrect usage of build has become so common as to be almost acceptable. Drives me crazy though. I have hundreds of completed models and several ongoing projects, but nary a "build" in the bunch!

Well actually it appears you can use "build as a noun...Just sayin'

build (bibreve.gifld)

v. built (bibreve.giflt), build·ing, builds

v.tr.

To form by combining materials or parts; construct.

To order, finance, or supervise the construction of:
The administration built several new housing projects.

To develop or give form to according to a plan or process; create:
build a nation; built a successful business out of their corner grocery store.

To increase or strengthen by adding gradually to:
money building interest in a savings account; build support for a political candidate.

To establish a basis for; found or ground:
build an argument on fact.

v.intr.

To make something by combining materials or parts.

To engage in the construction or design of buildings:
"Each of the three architects built in a different style"
(Dwight Macdonald).

To develop in magnitude or extent:
clouds building on the horizon.

To progress toward a maximum, as of intensity:
suspense building from the opening scene to the climax.

n.

The physical makeup of a person or thing; physique:
an athletic build.

Computer Science
Any of various versions of a software product as it is being developed for release to users.

Hey wait a minute. I think you have something there.

Yes, Revell does make scratch built kits. They take plastic materials and they make a kit out of it.

So most of us do build scratch built kits.

I don't think so Jim, at least not with Revell or other injection molded kit producers.

It is not one person producing (mass-producing at that) those kits. There are pattern-makers, mold-makers, and people who run the production machines...

Now if you look at a small company like Fischer Models (off the top of my head), here you have the pattern-maker, mold-maker and production molder possibly all being one person. In that case your analogy can work.

Edited by Scale-Master