Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flying Purple People Eater

Tommy Kortman

This was inspired by the Burbank Choppers car of the same name. Unilke Gold Rush, it was not modeled after an actual car.

The body is from Repl & Min of Md. Paint is HoK Passion pearl. The scratch built tuck & roll roof apholstery is HoK Snow Flake Pearl.

The body has been channeled over the frame because I wanted the injector hat at or above roof height. The motor is also raised up.

100_4503-vi.jpg

100_4505-vi.jpg

100_4507-vi.jpg

100_4508-vi.jpg

100_4512-vi.jpg

100_4518-vi.jpg

Here's a link to some more photos of this car

Purple People Eater

Very nice build. I remember that PPE when it hit the mags and have always wanted to do a build of it. I think you hit on the idea without copying the car. Nicely done. What is the engine from?

Later-

Thanks for the kind words. The engine actually came from 3 sources. The block, heads, headers, and pan came from the Revell Rat Rod T-bucket. This is also where the frame came from. This kit is a re-realease of the old Roth Tweedy Pie. Since the motor in the Tweedy Pie was a Pontiac, I did some modification to create a small block Chevy. The most work had to be done to the headers. The Blower,injector, and injector scoop are from the Amt bantam Blast Fuel Altered. The valve covers came from the MPC re-release of the 57 Corvette gasser this is where I also got the powerglide tranny. I scratchbuilt the blower intake and front motor mount to get more overall height. I also had to scatch build the blower belt. It's evergreen styrene sheet and .010" rod for the ribbing. The blower cases chrome is the way it came out of the Bantam box. The scoop is Alclad Polished Aluminum and the headers are Alclad chrome with heat treating from Tamiya clear blue & orange. I also used Tamiya's weathering powders for the soot at the collector.

Thanks again. I'm glad you all liked them.

Edited by Tommy Kortman