Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2012 Fall New Releases Announced

am i the only one excited for the svt lightning and the 99 cobra.?

i see a terminator build in my future.

Those Cobras can be very nice to loot for parts, and were a pretty decent kit assembly wise in their own right. The SVT Lightning? My LHS still the last reissue in stock, they coulda found something else in the tooling vaults to reissue.

The GNX is the gem of the re-pop kits if you don't have an original, since it was only ever issued once back in 1989, unlike the GN which has been donked and repopped half a dozen times.

so whats the deal with that GNX? is it a one-way build or are there parts for other versions? extra parts thrown in? i am assuming it has engine detail? if so what motor is in there? it looks like something i would like to get especially if it has a few race parts in it...

so whats the deal with that GNX? is it a one-way build or are there parts for other versions? extra parts thrown in? i am assuming it has engine detail? if so what motor is in there? it looks like something i would like to get especially if it has a few race parts in it...

It's pretty much the GN (Grand National) kit, but with the GNX-specific fender flares (I don't recall if they are separate pieces, but I think not), "mesh" BBS style wheels, and Goodyear Eagle VR50 type tires (again, IIRC, it's been a few years since I built one).

I kinda wonder why they have not reissued the '70 Torino kits.

Nice kit, would look good on Cali wheels or better yet a modified reissued '70 Ranchero Special Edition !!!

Agreed...on the first two points. I think that was the last "Pro Modeler" automotive subject, too, but maybe it was never a good seller for R-M?

It's pretty much the GN (Grand National) kit, but with the GNX-specific fender flares (I don't recall if they are separate pieces, but I think not), "mesh" BBS style wheels, and Goodyear Eagle VR50 type tires (again, IIRC, it's been a few years since I built one).

It was part of the Monogram "High Performance" Series of kits, all of which were Factory Stock ONLY releases, that included spark plug wiring and heater hose. The kit does include the GNX specific fender flares and fender louvers, which are both (or well 6) separate parts. The kit also includes the GNX spec wheels, tires, and traction ladder bar. Not having the base GN kit in front of me I can't say for sure if the rear-end is also different which would be correct for the 1:1 GN vs. GNX.

Agreed...on the first two points. I think that was the last "Pro Modeler" automotive subject, too, but maybe it was never a good seller for R-M?

Does that mean you don't want to see the Ranchero?

And you may be right about the P/M info and it not being a great seller.

Seems like the last one I bought was a clearance item @ Hobby Lobby.

I kinda wonder why they have not reissued the '70 Torino kits.

Nice kit, would look good on Cali wheels or better yet a modified reissued '70 Ranchero Special Edition !!!

Yeah, they've reissued the Cobra version a couple times, but the GT was out only once...I'd like to see the GT issued again, love the hidden headlight grille and full-width taillights. A convertible modified reissue would be great, along w/ a Ranchero.

The Torino GT kits are still out there. If you have any decent show/contest(s) within driving distance, you should be able to turn one up for less than the price of a current kit. The '70 Torinos are the only kits out there with the non-Boss 429 engine (the AMT mid-Seventies Ford pickups include what was called a "460" but is really a 360 FE-series mill). The Torino GT kit includes some optional engine parts (headers, valve covers, air cleaner). The underbody and engine compartment slide right into the Model King reissue '71 Cyclone stock car body, or a resin copy of the MPC annual kit.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the first I've heard about the Challenger I re-release. I've got several of them from over the years, and one version has an un-chromed chrome tree with very soft details, kinda like a temporary tool was made from a chromed tree with bad chrome. It's a great donor kit in my opinion, for things like period Crager chain-drives for the GMC blowers, LaSalle transmissions, and of course the 4 Pontiac engines. It's also a really important car as far as the history of American hot-rodding goes.

Interesting thing about the timing here is that Micky Thompson's son Danny (himself in his 60s) is supposed to be back at Bonneville this year for testing with his dad's Challenger 2 (which last ran the salt over 40 years ago), now upgraded to "2.5", running two Chrysler-based hemis instead of the original two Ford cammer motors.

july does look kinda bleak but there is that chevy truck with the snowplow. pretty interesting stuff there...is this new? (apologies if that detail is covered earlier in this thread, i just plead laziness...)

Only one that caught my interest is the FOOSE Firebird! Why the hell are we seeing so many re-issues? Can't we get some some current production vehicles? I would love to see a new Ford F-150, Ford Taurus SHO, Dodge Charger, 2013 Mustang with the "5.0" engine. Quit re-using the old tired molds and give the car enthusiast something to have some fun while building. I know it is all about licensing with the manufacturers or are Revell engineers just lazy?

Edited by weirich1

Only one that caught my interest is the FOOSE Firebird! Why the hell are we seeing so many re-issues? Can't we get some some current production vehicles? I would love to see a new Ford F-150, Ford Taurus SHO, Dodge Charger, 2013 Mustang with the "5.0" engine. Quit re-using the old tired molds and give the car enthusiast something to have some fun while building. I know it is all about licensing with the manufacturers or are Revell engineers just lazy?

It would be nice to see lots of new tools of modern vehicles, but the old subjects are what sell... :( Remember, this is predominantly a hobby that skews towards older people.

Revell still has 4 previously announced new tooling kits (albeit vintage subjects) coming this summer/fall (plus 3 RoG-origin new/modified tools).

Edited by Rob Hall

LAZY? It cost LOTS to produce and issue a new model kit and they will have to sell LOTS of kits just to "break even" yet alone make a profit. How many kits were you planning on buying?

LAZY? It cost LOTS to produce and issue a new model kit and they will have to sell LOTS of kits just to "break even" yet alone make a profit. How many kits were you planning on buying?

I agree with this, as i only buy one kit at a time and the if i like it i MAY go back to it, but i like to explore differnet cars so i only buy one and as stated above, its mostly tooled towards the older "old style" modeler as there arent very many of the yound ones out there(me being one of them at 16 years of age). Just my .02

But the three on the list that attract me the mosta nd that ill be buying is the foose firebird, the '93 mustang as i love that car as a dragster, and the '85 camaro. I may even go for the sox & marting and build it like the local one around my area

Edited by nboldman

We all have opinions on what they should or shouldn't be tooling, and this segment of that discussion was done in-depth back in May I think about the state of the hobby and what ppl like to build. There's good stuff on this release info and a lil bit for everyone IMO. I really enjoyed hearing ppl's ideas on what they'd do with the kits in the original post.

We all have opinions on what they should or shouldn't be tooling, and this segment of that discussion was done in-depth back in May I think about the state of the hobby and what ppl like to build.

Good point, Lawrence. Let's try to keep this topic about Revell's 2012 announced releases, and keep discussion about where the hobby is headed here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57564&hl= state of the hobby&st=260

Remind me again please, when is the '62 Corvette coming?????

joe.

2012. I've seen it listed on at least one dealer site as late August (i.e. September) but who knows how accurate that is.

Edited by Rob Hall