Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have the same problem with storage space. I got back into the hobby full swing in Jan of 2012 and haven't stopped yet. My small storage space is running out quick. The only thing that may save me is the fact that I can donate a couple of my builds to the U.S.S. Lexington museum here in the bay. They have a really nice model display room. Even if I emptied it out I couldn't display a 32nd scale B-17! I do, at some point, want to build the 1/48th scale Monogram B-17 I've had in my stash now for 24 friggin' years! lol

I'm a sucker for big scale, but display is an issue. I build paper models, too, and the Alan Rose ones can be 4' or larger. At least the Empire State Building is vertical! I also have the Hindenburg and Titanic. All three are 1/200, and around the 4' mark. I haven't tackled the Hindenburg yet, but can hang that from the ceiling. The huge one is the front half of a DC-3. It ends about mid wing, so height isn't too bad. It has a 6'-4" wingspan, and is designed to be hung from the wall. I do have a spot between two windows up near the ceiling where it will fit. That scales to about 1/14 or so. Should be interesting to build.

• 3 months later...

Doesn't look crude. Looks sweet.

I agree with Greg. Another one of my passions, civil, non-commercial aircraft. The old Monogram Cessna kit may have its problems. But, you sure can't tell by looking at your build.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the Cessna. I have a few Minicrafts collected and was trying to choose which one to try all metal.

I have the Beech Bonanza V tail started. And stalled. I can't let myself put the stock windows in it. They're horribly distorted and thick and I want to see the interior. All of them are very nice in the "weekend wings" series.

http://www.pinterest.com/gluefinger/minicraft-148-beechcraft-bonanza/

6430f8690a1900c56692cd464a61f7b3.jpg

Just playing around a bit with the kit. It was given to me one day and felt safe to dice it up. Everything is engraved pretty nicely all around and can build into a nice full detail kit. I wish the landing gear was movable.

I am hoping to build in some navigational and cabin lighting. I found a small board with watch battery LED unit that flashes. Thinking of running fiber to the wings and tail and stashing the unit under the floor or behind the cabins.

I have all the Weekend Wings collected mostly as Minicraft packaging but they are all originally Bandai kits. Take a look through my Pinterest page and you'll find them. I stored the instructions and decal for them there. http://www.pinterest.com/gluefinger/

Edited by jet

• 1 month later...

I don't know how I missed this thread! Those are both beautiful builds of the Monogram kits. As for being crude you just have to work with what is available when you build something specialized like civilian AC.

I converted my Tri-Pacer to the tail dragger Pacer variant with the N number of one of my uncle's Pacers.

P1210141_zps01b663d5.jpg