Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vehicle maintance, a lot like cooking.

I learned a long time ago that there are four colors of smoke that can come out of a (gas fueled) car engine (or tailpipe) and most of them are due to something abnormal going on.

If anyone is interested in this info, I'm fairly certain that a few members here can explain.

I'm pretty sure black smoke means no pope yet, white smoke means a new pope has been chosen. Not sure what the other colors mean... :P

Having owned four of them, I can say that anyone who has ever owned an Alfa Romeo from the 60s and 70s knows that there is no proper way to top up the oil, except every few days. Whatever, you'll still need a major valve job every couple of years.

Edited by sjordan2

I'm an expert on leaking oil and stuff coming out the tail pipe, etc.

Have owned 35+ Corvairs over the last 40 years.

What comes out the tailpipe is not necessarily the problem; it's when the heater pipes it into the cockpit that the fun begins....

For those not familiar, the Corvair gets it heater/defroster from shrouds around the exhaust manifolds, very similar to the old Volkswagen Beetle, only the Vair has a fan to help pull the warm air into the interior.

If the pushrod tube seals leak (which was pretty much 100% assured in the days before Viton), or the exhaust manifold gaskets leak, you've wind up with some very unpleasant stuff inside the car if you turn on the heater.

That will explain to all of my associates here on the forum who think I'm crazy....my brain is fried from too many years of breathing Corvair fumes and model glue/paint.