Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pete 353 *my way*

This is a project that transpired while digging through some parts boxes for another build currently going on.

I see this truck belonging to a construction company that specializes in the moving of mountains. It may haul a crusher , lowboy or a box van full of support parts.

At one time the fenders were rebuilt by the company's fabricators/ welders. Tread plate was on hand , paying the price for new ones made no sense. Is that enough disclaimers ?

Progress so far

I scratch built the fenders.
P2133873.jpg

Headache rack was inspired by Terry's Peterbilt Gravel hauler. I needed a window screen also.

Rack mounts are provided by Lego until I make the cab mounts. I want the height will be correct.

I will need to source some slam locks for the doors.

P2133874.jpg

Thanks for looking in :)

• 3 weeks later...

This week I have been making forward progress. I always have problems using prebuilt frames , if it does not have a twist it is curved.

This one had a little of both. The twist is permanent due to the cross members being glue welded. I cut the front axle airbags loose and used some styrene disk to shim the axle to level it out.

The headache rack now has support legs instead of a leggo block.

Arnd -The hood is a butterfly, perhaps the scribed lines will show in the angle of this pic.

Also got the Detroit settled in and fabricated the drive lines. Added treadplate behind the fifth wheel. (saw a really cool 1/1 353 over at Tim's site that way)

P3043935.jpg

I believe the frame is almost ready for primer.

Thanks for looking in and commenting :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Thanks guys for looking in and commenting.

Ken - my son always had legos, I started using them for leveling tail feathers on aircraft 10 years ago.

Still making forward progress, little things here and there. I have given up on p/e slam locks for the headache rack, so I will fake them with some thin styrene.

P3113950.jpg

:)