Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya....lets get it right.

What is the correct way to pronounce "Tamiya"? Back in the 80s, I was involved in R/C racing, and everyone pronounced it ta-MY-ya, so thats what I've always said. In recent years, however, Ive heard a lot of people saying ta-MEE-ya. Very recently, one guy I know will correct anyone that pronounces it anything other than TAM-me-ya. How do YOU pronounce it, and which is correct? Lord knows I wouldn't want to say it wrong....:D

When it comes to Japanese words, I find its best to know a little bit about the Japanese language to pronounce them correctly. Keep in mind that native Japanese speakers tend to speak rather fast and words tend to be a blur; the proper pronunciation would probably be tam-ee-ya. Any emphasis added to any particular syllable is a construct of English speakers. Mind you, I'm guilty of adding the emphasis to the middle syllable as that's all I've ever heard.

On a slightly related note, I've noticed that in the US everyone pronounces Mazda wrong... ;) If you listen to a native Japanese saying the word, it sounds more like matsuda really fast; definitely not "mozda". :P

The vowels in Japanese are pronounced the same as in Spanish, from what I've been told. The vowels a, e, i, o, u would be ah, eh, ee, oh, ooh, respectively. The vowels would be pronounced the exact same way inevery word, unlike English where it is depends on the specific word.

So it would be "ta-mee-ya" with no emphasis on any syllable.

Edited by Nate

I just call it over-priced!

I used to think that too. But my tastes changed and I built a few, then a few more... And I found for me they are like a great steak and a nice bottle of cabernet. Not an everyday item, but surely a treat worth paying for and savoring. Expensive? Yes. Over-priced? Maybe. Fair return of value for investment? Yes!

Fair return of value for investment? Yes!

I haven't built more than a handful of Tamiya kits, but they were a great value considering how nicely molded they are and how well they fit together. You can buy four AMT '66 Mustangs (well, maybe six or seven) for the price of a $60 Tamiya kit, but we all know which one has the best chance of being completed, well built, and will end up looking the most like the real car.

I know they are pricey Mike but you get what you pay for. I just love their paint system and although the cans are expensive, I have never been disapointed with the finish product.

I have never built one of the their model car kits. I have a few of them kicking around but just haven't built one. I have built several of their aircraft and they are just incredible.

I always pronounced it "Ta-my-ah". Now it seems that may be incorrect. Yet, I have been pronouncing it that way for many years, and I don't think I can change. Old habits, ya know. No disrespect meant... and I promise to change should Mr. Tamiya stop by to visit me. :D

Guest Dr. Odyssey

Being that Porsche and Tamiya are both family names I think it's obvious that the products should also be spoken of the same way as the families pronounce their own names.

I also think it is funny how the first know it all response is blatantly wrong. Really funny.

This is kinda like Porsche! Most people pronounce it Porsh but I was told at a race that i was shooting for a mag and mind you this was a rep from Porsche who in his best broken English and in no uncertain terms as I had evidently mispronounced it, it is pronounced Porsch-uh!

My bro-in-law is a Porsche snob. He believes the 944S was hand built by God, just for him. Insists that it should be pronounced "Poor-shuh". So naturally everyone in the family responds "Porsche! That's what I said!" He is technically correct, but the fact that he makes such a production of it, and a matter of high importance, we just can't help having a little fun with it!

EDIT: I changed it from 924S to the 944S, which it is. My bad.

Edited by Jon Cole

Well, if your bro-in-law were driving a 911, you could really have some fun at his expense and call it a Beetle (as in VW beetle, which is what the 911 evolved from). I suppose you could say his 924 is a Beetle with the engine at the wrong end. :D

I pronounce it Tam-eee-ya. But, personally I take the arguement like "Tom Ay To, Tom Ahh To". I've heard it both ways and both sound comfortable.

Edited by JMChladek

Ta me ya. A Japanese woman at my work taught me the pronunciation after I tried to impress her with my Japanese speaking skill. She did translate some Japanese only kit instructions for me too. And yes, Porsche has that little emphasis on the e at the end, just like the fire suppresion and fire alarm company called Kidde. Always thought the e was silent but it's pronounced kidduh.