Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chicago Hobby shops

Yup, mine is one of the few left. There are a handful of HobbyTown franchises, I happen to work for the one in St. Charles, then there's a couple down in the Joliet area, I think there's a train oriented shop in Elgin still, not sure about Prosek's between West Chicago and Winfield, I think they're now just flowers.

If you are staying in Elk Grove, there is Des Plaines Hobbies in Des Plaines. Main focus is trains, but they do carry car plastic and have a large paint selection. There is also a shop in Mundelein. The closest Hobbytown to Elk Grove is the one in Schaumburg. I haven't been to the Saint Charles one, but other CRAS in Miniature members speak highly of it. There also is one in Northbrook that has a big auto model section.

There is also America's best train shop in Itasca, but I haven't been by there in years.

The two biggest and best hobby shops in the Chicago area (Al's and Venture) are long gone... the one in Des Plaines is somehow still in business, but their kit selection is nothing special, just typical. Besides that one, we have the same franchise stores (Hobby Lobby and Hobbytown USA) that pretty much everyone else has. I guess I'm saying if you're hoping there's some super-cool hobby shop here that'll knock your socks off... there isn't. You're not going to find a whole lot up here that you can't also find right there at home (or online).

I'm driving up from Arkansas so maybe if I'm close coming or going? I'm staying at the Holiday Inn in Elk Grove Village. Never been north that direction new adventure for me and the wife. Going to hit the arch in St. Louis as well and then some fun stuff in Chicago and a little work the reason for the trip.

Jon

A tour of Revell would be cool! I will have to see if that is possible. We have a Hobby Town here that carry's a lot of models but not much in the way of detail stuff, can you tell me if the ones up there do?

I've been to their offices a couple of times. Revell, here, is just corporate offices. including design teams. There is no manufacturing here. They do have a storage area where they have some kits. This is where they go for customer service parts they send out to us.

The hobby shops around here that are left do not carry a lot of detail stuff either. As Harry said, there is no knock your socks off place left.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Jon,

If you are up for a little more travel, head up to Milwaukee and visit a couple of good shops there- Greenfield News & Hobby, Model Empire, & Happy Hobby (?) They are full of kits and other related items and Model Empire is more like the "old time" hobby shops with all kinds of goodies.

Sadly, the couple of good hobby shops mentioned here (Al's and Venture Hobbies) were once destinations for us modelers but like many others, have gone out of business.