Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the story behind your user name/avatar?

I have been using "scottyguitar" as a user name for almost 20 years, since I first discovered the WWW. The simple answer is that my name is Scott and I play guitar. But the truth is a little more complicated. I have been a Frank Zappa fan since the early 70s. Zappa was a big fan of Johnny "Guitar" Watson and used his talents on several albums in the 70s and 80s. I liked the name and adapted it

for myself when I joined several bulletin boards back in the day.

My avatar reflects the fact that I like pre- 1949 Fords.

Scott

Mizozuman2 is a collection of things for me. :P

Miz = Mizzou = Mizzou Tigers (I was born in Ft. Wood. Moved to Ks. in the early years)

Oz = Wizard of Oz = KANSAS

u = a letter = random letter to make the name easier to pronounce.

man = I'm a male. :P

2 = I'll leave it to everyone to guess it. (Please don't try to find out. It doesn't mean anything. Just a random digit, kind of like the "u".)

• 3 weeks later...

Well mine is pretty simple, Pappy: that's what my grandchildren have always called me and it has just stuck my wife even calls me that all the time now! D: first letter in my last name 340: I owned a Duster 340 many moons ago it was my absolute most favorite car I have ever owned, if I had a dollar for everytime I have wished I still had it, it would be like winning the lotto, I could retire and buy another one!! :lol: my avatar pics are just random 340 dusters I have found on the internet and I change them from time to time!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

SVT98t. I used to own a 1998 SVT Contour. At the time, I was gathering parts for a 3.0L swap and a turbo kit. Then I sold it and bought my affordable dream car: 2003 Mercury Marauder. And my avatar is my car parked alng the mighty Niagara River.

-ryan s.

I know I answered this thread a long time ago... I let my parents pick my user name. I also use it in other forums and on my tax returns!

My avatar changes whenever I get the whim. The last one was a 1960 Valiant buried in snow which reflected my feelings this past winter.

My current avatar is the old WABC Radio NYC music note from the early 1970s. They had dancing notes on their TV commercials and these stickers were available everywhere, so they were also stuck everywhere. I still have my sister's old 45rpm record box that has one on the front of it. I came across this on the Internet, so I saved the image. It will show up on a model someday!

Sheer laziness for the failure to spell out my last name in the user name part. Or something.

The car might be the one most notoriously tied to my building career, but I don't know for sure. What inspired it is beyond my sorry excuse of recollection, it started out to be a factory replica stock of a 930 cabriolet and I had gotten as far as a fully detailed engine (which is now buried, a few details can be seen when it is upside down), but somehow it turned into a woody wagon. I guess I decided to go for more 'gotcha' appeal midway through the build process.....

Imagine climbing on board a C-Type Jaguar with a tremendous hangover and faced with having to drive a long stint at the start of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Having to endure a bird strike at over 120 mph; no, not on the windscreen but on your face thus breaking your nose. Having the balls to continue driving and heaven forbid winning said event. How about crashing into and knocking down a pole carrying overhead electricity during a GP race thus knocking out the power to half a town. Then being carted off to a hospital only to awaken in a darkened emergency room with a surgeon and several nuns hovering over you.

"Why is it dark in here?" you mumble.
"Because the pole you crashed into fed this hospital’s electricity," replies the surgeon.
"Why aren’t I anaesthetised?", you ask.
"Because the anaesthetist went to watch the motor race you were in."
"And what are these nuns doing here?"
"They are to give you as much port as it takes to numb your pain. Or the last rites. Whichever comes first."

A true gentleman racer and a larger than life character. Duncan Hamilton of course! :D

• 4 weeks later...

My user name comes from Joshua Fit For Battle. A somewhat unknown band from Newark, Delaware which in some way found its music playing through my ears in the deep woods of Sweden.

At first I traded the Joshua part for my own name, Robin Fit For Battle. Somewhere I lost my name and fitforbattle was left.

It has now more or less become a part of my whole life as I live it always being fit for any battle I may have to fight.

I AM fitforbattle. Always.

My avatar was the only picture I had on my phone at the time of registering.

Edited by fitforbattle

Many of the earlier posts in this thread won't make sense since when you change your avatar, it changes back in every post you every did! So I will comment on my current one. My aunt gave me some old photos and this one really caught my eye. That's my father when he was two in 1936. The wagon has art deco skirts on the wheels! And that's my grandfather's '32 Essex. And it fit perfectly in the avatar box!

The username I wanted was taken when I signed up, however i've never seen anyone by that name post anything anywhere, so that kinda makes me mad, so I just went first initial and last name. Typically my username on just about every forum I'm on is "Stangman" because I'm a huge fan of Mustangs, and I've had 5 at one time before. Down to 3 now, but still love em just the same. Avatar picture will probably never change here for me, I find it too much work to resize and shrink a picture for only a short times use. So I found a picture I used elsewhere before of the GT Mustang side emblem that is on my '94 GT and so there you have it.

The username I wanted was taken when I signed up, however i've never seen anyone by that name post anything anywhere, so that kinda makes me mad, so I just went first initial and last name.

I got curious so I went for a look. As I tried to navigate the user directory, it was clear that the majority of the listed users are inactive. In fact many, many signed up and never posted a single post at all! There should be a clean out of names that haven't accessed the site in a certain amount of time... up to the site owners to figure out just how long. But a user with a cool name taken out in 1996, who never posted a single post is a sin!

I did look at "stangman" and found he signed up in August 2008 and last signed in Dec2013 so he's still interested.

Many of the earlier posts in this thread won't make sense since when you change your avatar, it changes back in every post you every did!

Yea, I didnt think that part through when I made the initial post. There was a lot of fighting, name calling, and other such nonsense on the board at the time, and I just wanted to lighten the mood, if you will.... :)