Model Cars Magazine Forum

'73 Chevrolet Chevelle- Mastered by Tom Ellifritt

The interior is pretty much done. I'm thinking of leaving no pedals or shifter so you can make it a 4 speed or automatic.

Here's the dash. that bright blob in the upper left looks better in person

Chevinterior3.jpg

Looking forward

Chevinterior1.jpg

Looking back.

Chevinterior2.jpg

Critiques welcome, but it'll have to be a pretty big gaffe if I'm going to go back and fix it.

Was this interior also used in the '74 model?

Well, on to the engine compartment!

Those seats are fantastic, Tom. :wub:

I'm assuming the green plastic section of the interior tub is from a Jo-Han Olds kit?

I'm trying to guess which kit the base bench seat part came from... :D

You're right about the JoHan tub. I do quite a bit of scratchbuilding and kitbashing, and to that end I have a box full of bench seats. I have no idea where most of them came from, but I used one of them for the basis for the front bench seats. There's also quite a bit of '77 Monte Carlo in the interior. Most of these parts were donated by interested modelers, and they can share in the credit when this is done.

The interior is pretty much done. I'm thinking of leaving no pedals or shifter so you can make it a 4 speed or automatic.

Here's the dash. that bright blob in the upper left looks better in person

Chevinterior3.jpg

Looking forward

Chevinterior1.jpg

Looking back.

Chevinterior2.jpg

Critiques welcome, but it'll have to be a pretty big gaffe if I'm going to go back and fix it.

Was this interior also used in the '74 model?

Well, on to the engine compartment!

It looks spot on! My dad had a 74 Malibu Classic, the seat pattern was quite similar to the one you have except the corduroy of the Classic went from one end to the other without vinyl cutouts and were also quite similar to the Monte Carlo's. The dash was the same as on the 73. The door pull was in the middle of the fabric pattern, that fabric had a constant panel width spanning from the front to the rear of the door. The panel had 6 inch squares with a button middle and were separated by a 1 inch wide line. There was a half inch wide stainless steel trim at the top and the bottom of this trim panel. Back to your model,

the body looks great too! One thing I liked a lot on that old Malibu was the wide fender flares and you have them spot on! The front and back end look right on. Overall it looks like the real thing, beautiful craftsmanship! This is going to look awesome in SS trim and wide Corvette rally wheels... Plans for a Laguna front end too?

Tom,

If you are going to do either a '74 Malibu Classic, or Laguna S-3, I suggest that you do the swivel bucket seat interior, using parts from the Revell 1977 Monte Carlo. The seat stitch pattern on the '73 Malibu is different from the '74 Malibu Classic, and Laguna S-3.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1974_Chevrolet/1974_Chevrolet_Chevelle_Brochure/dirindex.html

Not a critique , but rather an inquiry : didn't the SS (1973 only) and Laguna S3 models have round gauges ?

I could almost swear that the 1973 SS 454 ( "W" engine code ) that I saw a while back had gauges which were similar tot he '70-'72 SS models .

That interior is mighty fine ! Those seats are NICE !

Not a critique , but rather an inquiry : didn't the SS (1973 only) and Laguna S3 models have round gauges ?

I could almost swear that the 1973 SS 454 ( "W" engine code ) that I saw a while back had gauges which were similar tot he '70-'72 SS models .

That interior is mighty fine ! Those seats are NICE !

This first offering is the standard Malibu. The Malibu and Laguna had this dash with the linear speedometer. The SS and S-3 models had the round gauges. I do plan on doing a Laguna, I have the parts. I can make the Laguna easily enough, but we're still working on how to handle the badging and so forth. It would be a simple matter to modify a '77 Monte Carlo dash to fit this interior pan. It has the round gauges. Maybe we'll offer that dash as well, I don't know.

Right now we're just going to get this Malibu done, and go from there. Even if you had to do the SS mods on your own, most of the work has been done. I definitely plan on doing the Laguna nose at some point. The Laguna interior is different, so I'll have to do a second interior as well.

This first offering is the standard Malibu. The Malibu and Laguna had this dash with the linear speedometer. The SS and S-3 models had the round gauges. I do plan on doing a Laguna, I have the parts. I can make the Laguna easily enough, but we're still working on how to handle the badging and so forth. It would be a simple matter to modify a '77 Monte Carlo dash to fit this interior pan. It has the round gauges. Maybe we'll offer that dash as well, I don't know.

Right now we're just going to get this Malibu done, and go from there. Even if you had to do the SS mods on your own, most of the work has been done. I definitely plan on doing the Laguna nose at some point. The Laguna interior is different, so I'll have to do a second interior as well.

Tom, you are one thorough and dedicated person! Very nice work.

Thanks for your prompt and thorough reply !

I'd figured that the performance models had "Rally"-type instruments , but wasn't absolutely certain . Really , at this point , I'd be positively happy-as-pie with the Malibu in its stock form !

Thanks again . Keep up the superb work and craftsmanship !

I've decided not to use the '75 Olds promo chassis. I'm going to use the AMT '69 Olds Cutlass chassis. The kits are common and cheap (especially at shows), and you can detail it as much as you like. I'm working on the front wheel wells now, I'll post a pic when I get further along.