Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Clay, with your fabricating skills and talents have you ever concidered or tried building a scale engine that will actually run in one of your projects? You already go to extream measures to build accurately and incorperate everything that is on your subject it just doesn't seam that you would be that far off from accomplishing such an idea. Just wondering brother. Either way I'm enjoying watching your progress as usual and thank you for sharing it with us. I always learn something from you and look forward to more.

Thanks for the comments guys. No Bill, no working engine anytime soon! This car will have a few "working" features, but it's not something I'm normally too into.

Got some work in on the floor panels the last few days. I started out on the bottom doing the front and rear panels first. This is all .015 sheet plastic.

P4131800z-vi.jpg

Then I flipped it over and did the top panels one by one. They aren't actually "top" per se, but more of in the middle of the bars around them. I made the basic shape first, then drew out and cut out the center. Then once cleaned up that piece was glued directly to another piece of plastic and trimmed to size. Once all the edges were smooth, and blended in I added them to the chassis.

P4131798z-vi.jpg

P4131799z-vi.jpg

I've also got more brass PE tabs and brackets installed, as well as the battery box and support.

P4131801z-vi.jpg

I decided to have Jim work up another set of hubs and rotors for me since the other ones just weren't quite what I needed. He did a new smaller rotor hat/hub, as well as some new small rotors. These will work much better! I'll trim down the lug studs later.

P4131803z-vi.jpg

The slicks also got some attention. Using a drum sander in my moto-tool, I opened up the centers a bit to get the new wheels in. I can't wait until I get to the point I can detail these babies. They look so cool with all that rubber around them!

P4131804z-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Clay

Clay... outstanding work!! The work on the floor panel is looks great!! This build is sure coming along great. I love the last pic with the wheels. I can't wait to see them all detailed out. Jim's work is just awesome too!! Thank you for sharing your work with us. I know that I am learning a lot from your build. On your floor panel did you already glue it in or will they be painted separate and glued later. Was curious. I already can't wait for your next update. Keep up the killer work!

Clay this is looking Awesome... learn alot from watching your work....

Just looked at these pics again... just plain wicked... love the way the floor looks, and thanks for the chassis plans for my 57 chevy too Clay.....

Edited by tyrone

Your work is amazing. I've seen your finished builds, and they are incredible. The detail, you have put into this Mustang Pro Mod, is amazing. I wish I could build something with that high quality, but needs to say that it's just a dream. I'm watching this one very surely, this is absolutely one of the best builds and WIP topics, I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Simply amazing as usual Clay, makes me wanna throw mine in the trash lol. I'm definitely learning a better building process. I also have a question Your doing the removable body where the tree will be fastened to the rear of the body, Will you to final install like this also just like the real one? If so how will you get the pin into hold it with the tubs and other stuff there? Just curious , Maybe i'm not grasping it from the pictures.

Edited by Prostreet

Clay... outstanding work!! The work on the floor panel is looks great!! This build is sure coming along great. I love the last pic with the wheels. I can't wait to see them all detailed out. Jim's work is just awesome too!! Thank you for sharing your work with us. I know that I am learning a lot from your build. On your floor panel did you already glue it in or will they be painted separate and glued later. Was curious. I already can't wait for your next update. Keep up the killer work!

Thanks Chris......the floor pan is all sheet metal steel on the real car held in with a bunch of spot welds. It gets painted with the chassis. Same with the firewall and so on. Any panel that isn't steel and part of the chassis will more than likely be carbon fiber after the chassis is painted.

I'm working on a few methods to simulate all the spot welds, I should have something figured out soon.

Simply amazing as usual Clay, makes me wanna throw mine in the trash lol. I'm definitely learning a better building process. I also have a question Your doing the removable body where the tree will be fastened to the rear of the body, Will you to final install like this also just like the real one? If so how will you get the pin into hold it with the tubs and other stuff there? Just curious , Maybe i'm not grasping it from the pictures.

Thanks Joe......I know what you mean about the pivot. It's kind of confusing. I'm not even sure how they get in there to pull the pins. My thinking on this car is I'm building it like theirs, but not really going to make the body removable like they do. Once I get further along, and start getting things painted and assembled, I'll probably install the tree for good. And then from there on it will pretty much be like any other car with a full tail section. Although I will paint it like it's welded up to make it look different from the chassis. But once I get to final assembly and the body goes on, it will stay on. Hope that makes sense!

Clay

Got a bit more done....

Another cool feature on theses cars is the drilled out steering column support. I set up my mill with the rotary table/chuck at 90 degrees and chucked up some 3/32" K&S brass......then slowly started bringing the bit down hole by hole and drilling the tube out. Close to the chuck wasn't too bad, but by the time I got a couple inches away from it I was getting some serious deflection! I had to scrap the first tube, and about four bits, but tube #2 came out perfect.

I got it installed as well as starting to add the dash bars, right side door bars, and a few more brackets. I still need to do a bit more around the seat and floor area, then I can add the rest of the FC cage, and left side door bars.

P4151805z-vi.jpg

P4151806z-vi.jpg

P4151807z-vi.jpg

Back to work!

CK