Model Cars Magazine Forum

'52 Plymouth Cambridge?

Hello,

I've been looking through various posts and casters sites to see if anyone has done a 1952 Plymouth Cambridge. It could actually be any year from '49 - '52. Could also be either the Dodge Coronet or a Plymouth Cranbrook, so long as it's that particular body style in a 2 door sedan. They're all pretty close.

But, I see nothing and I am completely out of the loop. So I figured I would ask the masses.

Thanks,

Glu

52PlymoughtCambridge%5B1%5D.png

Funny you should ask! :lol: My first car was a '51 Plymouth and I've always burned to do a model of one. The only one I've found is a '49 by R&R Resin. Here's a link to the thread started when I first got it. I've contemplated the conversion using the front end grill surround from a '51 Chevy which is pretty close. So far I've only started building up a '41 Plymouth engine to match the L-Head in my '51.

That's a gorgeous red one there .. yours?

Gotta agree with Chuck here. BUT if it's the ONLY game in town, you may have to go with it. I have a Die Cast Bank of Lee Petty's Racecar that I m wanting to convert to a hot rod. It'sa ol Plymouth Buisness Coupe, I THINK. It didn't come with a backseat, but i don't know if the real car had one or not, OR if it's just caz it'sa bank? But THAT'S the ONLY early 50's Plymouth I've ever seen of THAT style. There may be some others out there, but I've never had the opporutunity to see them.

The Petty Racecar is a '49 or '50 . The Business Coupes of the Era did not come with rear seats . This space was used by slaesmen to store their wares . If this space looks finished , it is a business coupe . If it looks raw , with exposed metal , the side panels don't go down to the floor all the way to the rear of the compartment . This wold be other than Busines Coupe with the seat removed . I don't remember NASCAR rules like I used to . Some models of these had a longer rear deck for more storage space . It varied depending on demand to justify the extra stampings . Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

Eelco, in years past , a company called Product Miniatures actually did a 1953 Plymouth Belvedere sedan . I think Banthrico also did the 52's also . I've been trying to nail down from Jody, ( AKA Smart resins who did the P M C 53 Plymouth wagon in resin I got off him with no luck . I wish i was more help . Ed Shaver

Funny you should ask! :lol: My first car was a '51 Plymouth and I've always burned to do a model of one. The only one I've found is a '49 by R&R Resin. Here's a link to the thread started when I first got it. I've contemplated the conversion using the front end grill surround from a '51 Chevy which is pretty close. So far I've only started building up a '41 Plymouth engine to match the L-Head in my '51.

That's a gorgeous red one there .. yours?

Your flathead is looking great. Did you ever finish it? The R&R piece looks rough enough and incorrect enough that it'd probably be easier starting from scratch, unfortunately. Several key shapes jumped out at me as very off right at first glance.

I wish that red beauty was mine. She's a honey, ain't she? I did have a Cranbrook for a minute several years ago. Still kicking myself for not recognizing the the potential in it at the time.

Just be careful with R&R kits- they can be a bit 'iffy' as far as casting quality goes.

Yes, and that one specifically does indeed fall onto the far end of the iffy scale. So close, but so far away...

Gotta agree with Chuck here. BUT if it's the ONLY game in town, you may have to go with it. I have a Die Cast Bank of Lee Petty's Racecar that I m wanting to convert to a hot rod. It'sa ol Plymouth Buisness Coupe, I THINK. It didn't come with a backseat, but i don't know if the real car had one or not, OR if it's just caz it'sa bank? But THAT'S the ONLY early 50's Plymouth I've ever seen of THAT style. There may be some others out there, but I've never had the opporutunity to see them.

Thanks for reminding me about the Petty Biz Coupe. As mentioned, they had no back seat. Very much so intended exactly as its namesake...for the traveling salesman.

I'll have to look that piece over again but it may actually be the best starting point. Roof and tulip panel would be the major changes. The rest would be too insignificant to mention at this point.

Eelco, in years past , a company called Product Miniatures actually did a 1953 Plymouth Belvedere sedan . I think Banthrico also did the 52's also . I've been trying to nail down from Jody, ( AKA Smart resins who did the P M C 53 Plymouth wagon in resin I got off him with no luck . I wish i was more help . Ed Shaver

Thanks Ed. The '53 was the next generation, so that'd be a no-go as a starting point for the previous. Have you any further info on this Banthrico?

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

Glu

Your flathead is looking great. Did you ever finish it? The R&R piece looks rough enough and incorrect enough that it'd probably be easier starting from scratch, unfortunately. Several key shapes jumped out at me as very off right at first glance.

The engine is still sitting in the shop waiting for me to finish .. nothing new with me. :)

The resin body is a rough one and I find more out of whack every time I look. There WERE many subtle changes from the '50 to '51 body styles. It wouldn't be an easy job making it into a '51. But, it is the only game in town as far as I know. Some compromises are bound to be realized.

Edited by Foxer

Great looking car, i used to drive a 49 plymouth 4 door while my dad had a 2 door 49 plymouth that he drove. I always loved the woodgrained dash in them. On my shelf i have i think a promo, (it has the metal frame with a friction motor) pink 51-53 2 door plymouth wagon

Okay, thanks Chuck. Yep. Definitely 1 year too new.

A little more digging turned up this '52 Suburban promo. It'd make a fine start, but the one currently listed on ebay is.....only.....$250. I can wait. :P

15148b-vi.jpg

Edited by Gluhead