Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Shelby (Under Glass- 14 Feb)

taaron76

Ready to get started on this one. Wheels and paint are picked out, just gotta start modifying the chassis to fit the wheels. Hopefully I'll have the body painted this weekend to give it a few weeks of drying time while the rest is built.

Tim

post-14604-0-04852600-1422059395_thumb.j

Edited by taaron76

Gold leaf is a sweet color. I can't seem to find any of the big Tamiya bottles anymore. :/ sweet looking build! I'll be following!

The hobby store I go to in the suburbs of D.C. carries the big and small jars of it. I'll send you one if needed?

Tim

Edited by taaron76

Mine is going to be Model Master GM Teal metallic. I didn't make any chassis mods to mine so it sits a little high. Drilled out the wheel backs and added disc brakes.

That will look great! I haven't seen any painted with gold and clear orange, so I figured I'd give it a shot to be different. All of the older Mustangs sit too high to me...

Tim

Thanks, guys! Painting the outside has always been fun to me. I like shiny! Lol

Very nice work, Tim! That paint turned out sweet. Would you mind giving us the basics of airbrushing acrylics (mixing ratios, air pressure setting, best reducer etc) I happen to know we have some lurkers who would be interested, especially after seeing your results.

Here is my technique with pics included just to let you know that it doesn't cost millions of dollars to spray a glossy paint job on hobby car.

I used a couple of different Bagder airbrushes. One single action and one dual. No rhyme or reason for using one over the other, other than paint control with the dual action badger. I'm using a compressor that I've had for over 20 years that my Mom bought me when I was a kid. I am getting ready to buy a really nice one, but it can be done with a cheap one. I have no idea what PSI I'm paint at, but the manual said this compressor was good to about 40, so probably somewhere in-between 25-35. One of the reasons I can't wait to purchase my new one next month is better flow, and regulated.

I only use Tamiya acrylics when I paint, its just easier for cleanup and I feel really comfortable after using them over the last 5 builds. I just started using Tamiya lacquer primer and I love it. If the primer goes on super smooth, I generally won't sand it, just scuff it real quick. I thin the 23ml size bottles with 7-8ml of denatured alcohol and the 10ml bottle with 3-3.5ml of denatured alcohol. That will vary depending on what sheen you are using, too. I actually used closer to 9ml of denatured alcohol on the Gold Leaf because it was coming out very blotchy. I added another ml of denatured alcohol and it was perfect. Again, trial and error. I also use a spray booth since I paint inside.

Nothing crazy about my technique other than I try to make sure each coat of my gloss coat is glossy and not a lot, if any, orange peel. I probably put 3-4 good coats of gloss over the base coat since that is all I've ever needed in order to achieve that smooth-wet look before sending it to the food dehydrator to cure for a day or two, or even just overnight. After about 7-10 days, I will start to wet sand and polish. This is one of the most crucial steps, but to be honest, wet sanding and polishing has never taken me more than an hour, tops. I know people spend hours and hours wet sanding and polishing, but maybe mine takes less time since it is very smooth and wet looking once it's dry? Not sure, but what works for one person, might not work for another. I just use microfine wet/dry sand paper and that seems to do the trick for taking out any imperfections, dust, or orange peel.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if it helps anyone get over the fear of painting with acrylics or an airbrush. There are a ton of excellent painters on this site that come away with amazing finishes as well. I did a lot of reading prior to diving in with acrylics. Hope this helps...

Tim

post-14604-0-46388200-1422390311_thumb.j

post-14604-0-94050400-1422390312_thumb.j

post-14604-0-41390900-1422390314_thumb.j

post-14604-0-26343800-1422390316_thumb.j

Thanks, Tim! There seems to be a growing number of people wanting to explore acrylics for all kinds of reasons, including the ones you mentioned. Now that you've provided pics showing the kind of results that can be had as well as the pathway to get there, it wouldn't surprise me to see an increase in acrylic paint jobs in the near future.