Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHARLIE ALLEN Dart F/C - Hobby Room Construction - Update 7/14/15

Nitrozilla

ps, the grille your installing is for a 1968 ( round turn signal lenses ) , which for the Charlie Allen car is the blue and silver car. and as far as I know,,,no one makes decals to replicate the blue car.

The red 1969 car has rectangular turn signal lenses

Edited by gtx6970

What a great response Everybody.

Nice project and one I've wanted to do also. I don't get cutting out the grille though. Wasn't that all part of the fiberglass body and just painted?

This is being done for 2 reasons Mike. First of all, Brett is right. It would be a pain to mask. Secondly, there is a higher level of detail with the kit grill. I plan on making rectangular lenses. It still won't be right because of the slight differences in the grill itself, but it will look better IMHO.

Bill, please feel free to post a pic of your build. There are decal makers who have stated plans to do the blue car, but I haven't seen any produced yet. One of them was Alan from Whoopie Kat.

At any rate, and I'm not trying to be a putz here, I'll remind folks as it says in my signature. "Accuracy and Authenticity are not a prerequisite." I believe that everyone should build for pleasure. I won't lose more hair over small details as long as I end up with a completed build that I can be proud to put next to my others.

Edited by Nitrozilla

Bill, please feel free to post a pic of your build. There are decal makers who have stated plans to do the blue car, but I haven't seen any produced yet. One of them was Alan from Whoopie Kat.

At any rate, and I'm not trying to be a putz here, I'll remind folks as it says in my signature. "Accuracy and Authenticity are not a prerequisite." I believe that everyone should build for pleasure. I won't lose more hair over small details as long as I end up with a completed build that I can be proud to put next to my others.

I for one would really like to see the decals become avail to do both of Charlie Allens 1968 cars. There was a SS in addition to the AA/FC

This is the builtup I have. to be honest I bought it as a mostly done car, just did some touchup work and minor re-assembly on it and put it in the case.

I have a 2nd one in decent shape along with a Resin 68 Body to do the blue car if/when the decals become avail ..( I have my fingers crossed )

This is one of my all time favorite cars so I plan to keep close tabs on this thread

Edited by gtx6970

My guess is that yours is the original model because the spoiler isn't solid and the yellow pinstriping is more pronounced than on the Slixx sheet. Well done Bill. Well done.

Dave, your pics came up as soon as I posted this so I'm editing this one to say "THANK YOU !!!" You've got stuff I've never seen and I researched the living daylights out of this ride. Picture number 5 is now my new computer wallpaper. Found it once, then couldn't find it again.

This just keeps getting better and better.

Edited by Nitrozilla

My guess is that yours is the original model because the spoiler isn't solid and the yellow pinstriping is more pronounced than on the Slixx sheet. Well done Bill. Well done.

It is ,,it's all plastic.

And thanks, but I didn't build it. I just did some repairs and put it in the case . so I can't take full credit for it

I have several sets of CA's Dart decals and when it comes to the blue car I thought I'd try applying the decal to an all blue car as a mask, then shooting the silver over it. Of course this is theoretical :D I also thought about using the resin grill surround & PE grille too. I think the lettering is nearly the same or close enough on the red decals.

Keep up the good work, I'll save some of your pics like the roll bar mod.

Actually , other than the name on the door not much of the lettering is the same between the 2 cars

the red car was sponsored by Saddleback Dodge

And the blue car was sponsored by Crenshaw Dodge,,,OR Atlantic Dodge dealers sponsored.

ps, I 've often wondered if both the red/silver 69 and the blue/silver 68 were actually one and the same,,just updated / repainted for new model year changes .

my apologies to the op for the hijack

Edited by gtx6970

Bill, it's not hijacking when it's a contribution as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Roger and All.

Progress slowed for the day due to a minor injury. I was shaving resin when my faithful "X-Acto Knife of Surgical Bladedness" decided to take a side trip into my left forefinger. It's only a little sore and I'll be back at it again tomorrow after I pick up paint.

I have several sets of CA's Dart decals and when it comes to the blue car I thought I'd try applying the decal to an all blue car as a mask, then shooting the silver over it. Of course this is theoretical :D I also thought about using the resin grill surround & PE grille too. I think the lettering is nearly the same or close enough on the red decals.

Keep up the good work, I'll save some of your pics like the roll bar mod.

I personally don't have a problem with a blue car that uses the Saddleback Dodge decal instead of Crenshaw Dodge. Small price to pay to have a blue one. I thought of using the same template method for a mask. Scan it, then print it if you can so you don't use a good set of decals.

Me Too! Most will not know(or remember :D ) and will associate Charlie with Saddleback. I picked up several sets of the kit decals,maybe repros from Modelking years ago. As I recall, they were cheap enough to use as masks. The scan idea sounds good,maybe even scan to frisket paper.

This is one of my all time favorite Funny Cars. Going back to the windshield, I think it's good to keep in mind that drag cars and race cars changed from race to race and track to track, just as they do today. The windshield changes were probably due to experimentation. In my opinion building it either way is o.k.

Thank you Mike & Norman. I appreciate your points.

Been lazy this weekend and finally got off my butt and got some work done. I'm not the type to paint on the tree. All parts are pulled, trimmed, sanded and washed before being put on my custom high tech paint pallets.

I'll let it dry overnite, then flip everything for the next coats.

Later, I'll continue the story of why this is a grail kit for me, as it led to my first job in the tire business.

In the meantime, thanks for looking.

0030.jpg0031.jpg0032.jpg

Not much of an update. The Apple Red paint is drying very slowly. It was still tacky overnite so I'm going to give it plenty of time to dry.

In the meantime I'm thrilled with how the grill is turning out. I have this picture of the painted car with the aluminum grill and the chrome bumpers in my head and it won't go away.

So, I'll tell the story of how this car and model building got me my first job. My mom and I went grocery shopping. That means she goes while I hit the small department store next door that carries models. THERE IT WAS!!!!!! GOTTA' HAVE IT!!! GOTTA' HAVE IT!!! GOTTA' HAVE IT!!!!

I ran to the grocery store to get a $5.00 advance on my allowance. "Not happening young man. Blah, reason, blah, whatever." When we got home, I helped put the groceries away, made a lame excuse about going to a friend's house and went job hunting. Within walking distance was a place that made rubber floor mats and truck flaps. No good, workers sweep their own areas. Next door, canvas shop, family run. RATS!!! Next door was a little tire shop called Golden State Tire Distributors. Gentleman by the name of Tom Kurka took me over to a Coats 10-10 tire changer and asks, "You ever work one of these?" I worked for him after school and after I graduated for years. He let me borrow his Burgundy '70 Chrysler New Yorker for my prom and was also at my (first) wedding.

All of that because no one recognized my styrene addiction.

Here's a pic of my messy desk. Hang in there. We'll get to it. Blah, reason, blah, whatever.

0035.jpg

Surprise extra update. Almost done with front and rear grills.

I added a piece of styrene to the top of the front grill where the hood trim is supposed to be. The piece from the kit didn't fit the contour of the resin body hood. I shot them in aluminum, then did a black wash, then an aluminum dry brush for touch up.

The headlight covers are still drying. Smart story, dumb story here. I got the bright idea to use the clear kit headlights and glue them in upside down to give me a flat surface to replicate the headlight cover plates. Silly me thought the lights would only have mesh ribs on the round part. Wrong. There's light mesh on the flat part too. Since it's too small to sand smooth, I have to cover it with aluminum brush paint. Hopefully it will dry right. It's still wet in the pics.

I really like the way they look mated up to the bumpers. Just the look I was going for.

Enjoy the pics. Thanks for looking.

036.jpg037.jpg

Slow but sure getting stuff done.

The grill is at 90%. Still needs a little touch up on the parking lights.

Next up are the springs. I start by trimming a little off of each spring mount to get a flat surface to drill into. I do a pilot hole with an X-Acto, then a small hole for the wire to insert into with a drop of CA.. Notice wire inserted at bottom, then wrapped around the existing coil. On reflection, I believe I will unwrap them and paint the kit coils black.

Now, before everybody freaks out when you see the blower and other anodized appearing items, no, it's not accurate. I'm painting for pretty.

Thanks for looking.

0040.jpg0041.jpg0042.jpg0043.jpg

looking really good and build it the way you like and the the heck with the rivet counters.

vince

As you're about to see Vince, I'm not real big on rivet counting. The Nautilus from Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea started that nonsense when I became aware of it. A guy actually lost Best of Show due to missing rivets.

All kinds of goodies await in this installment. Before we get started, I want to take a poll. I'm seriously considering installing canards, like I did on my Jungle Jim Charger. I'll post a pic for memory jogging purposes and for those who haven't seen it. Tell me what you think. Canard Si, or canard No?

Next up, we have the completed suspension before installation. Also in the picture you'll notice a pair of slicks. The smaller one is the kit rubber, the other is from the AMT parts pack. They are the same width but are easily 1/4" taller. Based on other builds I've seen using the same chassis, this is gonna make the stance killer.

Also, the seat and spoiler are nearly done. Lastly, the tanks and fire extinguisher in progress.

Let me know your thoughts on the canards. I'm at 80% in favor.

Thanks for looking.

2007-01-23010.jpg0044.jpg0045.jpg0046.jpg0047.jpg