Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 61 Impala I never had.........

roadhawg

It's been a long time since I posted anything here, so, I figured I show something I just

finished a couple of weeks ago.

My favorite Chevrolet of all time is the 1961 Impala. Back in the mid 70s, when I was 18-19,

I bought a real one with the intention of building my "dream machine". I had it all planned

out....it was going to be black with a red tuck and roll interior, 454 4 speed, and a set of

Corvette Ralley wheels. I parked it out beside my dad's garage and started saving my money

for all the parts.

Well, just like so many other stories, life and other things got in the way, and I

ended up selling it without doing anything to it.

Since I STILL can't afford to build a real one, I decided to build my dream car from

Lindbergs 1961 Impala kit....just the way I had planned my real one.

The tuck and roll interior was made by sanding the kit seats/door panels smooth and

covering with Evergreen ribbed styrene. The engine is from a Revell 67 Chevelle, and the

wheels are from a Revell Corvette kit. Paint is just plain ol' Model Master gloss black.

After all these years, I FINALLY have my dream car, just the way I was gonna do the real

one!

1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

• 1 month later...

A short story for you here if ya care to read on...

My very first ever ride in a high powered car was in a 61 Impala almost exactly like the one you built here. I had a friend, Warren Sipuleski (RIP) who had a 61 and he transplanted a 396 into it with a four speed. The other cool thing was he had added a reverse teardop hood scoop on it. Man that car was bad! I was aroun 15 at the time as I recall and he gave me and another friend of mine a ride at night on a back road. He burned rubber in that car for what seemed an eternity. From then on I was hooked on high performance cars.

Your model brings back some great memories of my friend....thank you!