Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Plymouth Barracuda notchback

I got a lot of bench time for Father's Day weekend. I worked on the Barracuda on and off all weekend but I don't have a lot to show for it.

DSCN0253-vi.jpg

I'm using the kit engine block and front cover topped with heads, intake, front drive accessories from the more detailed AMT 1969 GTX kit. I lopped off the top of the Barracuda kit's distributor and replaced it with a tan painted resin cap from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland. The tan cap represents an Accel part to match the ubiquitious oversized resin Accel Super Coil that I will also use. The carbs are painted with Tamiya X-31 Titanium Gold. I spent much time drilling out the four resin cast Brembos. B)

DSCN0254-vi.jpg

The interior tub has been painted with Tamiya TS-82 Rubber Black.

DSCN0255-vi.jpg

Finally, a detail shot of the front end of the car. The front valance opening is molded closed on the kit part. The grille has been detail painted and MV Lenses replaced the molded in units.

Enjoy!!!

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Marc, the stripes look very cool! so happy that you made sure they ran correctly through the door handle and not under them like you see too often :lol:

Dave

Thanks!

All I did was Google images of 1969 Barracudas to see how the stripes work on a 1:1. Then, I photocopied the decal, cut it out, and test fitted the copy first. Once I was satisfied with the placement, I transferred the cuts to the actual decal. The decal was applied in three pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't let KDog @ Bandit Resins have all the fun! :D

I've been out of town for a week but I'm slowly getting back to the bench. I've cleared the outside with Tamiya TS-13. Still needs polished. Painted the drilled Brembos with Testors Stainless Steel Metalizer and Tamiya TS-16 Yellow. While the paint fully cures I continue work on the engine and interior.

Enjoy the pics!

DSCN0291-vi.jpg

DSCN0292-vi.jpg

DSCN0293-vi.jpg

DSCN0294-vi.jpg

What goes better with a Six Pack hood than a 440+6?

DSCN0295-vi.jpg

Used the AMT ex-MPC 1969 Barracuda block with top end parts from an AMT 1969 GTX, including the Edelbrock intake and Holley six pack set up. The GTX kit will also surrender the front drive belts and accessories. The GTX kit parts have more detail than the 40+ year old MPC tooled parts. The distributor cap is from Reps and Mins of MD painted tan to replicate an Accel unit. Sharp eyes will notice the Fel-Pro Blue intake gaskets.

Enjoy!!!

Marc, I LIKE the way it turned out. I REALLY like the look of the amber turn signals! NEVER cared for the ugly Engine Compartment, as that year Cuda DIDN'T have those nasty rounded wheelwells. I'm in the process of modding the ones off the 70 Duster to see if I can make them fit. If it works on the fastback I'm workin on, THAT lil coupe is next!!!biggrin.gifwink.gif

I am loving this build. So far, every detail is looking A-1. That is why the distributor/plug wires not being routed in the proper firing order is KILLING me! Everything else on this build is just so nice....why slack there?

Bradley,

Sorry to disappoint you on the plug wires. Like metal axles, that's how I roll. ;) People that know me well understand that. I build for myself first and second, once the finished product is on the shelf, they will never be seen again. Glad you like it otherwise. :)

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Hey Marc......no problem. I wasn't bagging on the build. You put so much into the build so far that I found that one little thing odd, especially going so far as to replicate the Fel-Pro Blue Neoprene valley pan gasket (which I hope you don't mind me borrowing for a future build!). I am loving the A-notch, as it gets no full-sized love either and besides my 1965-67 B-body love the 67-69 A-bodies are my favorite Mopars (especially motivated by a nasty B, RB, or potent hot-rodded LA engine!).