Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue on windows?????

Hi there. I always seem to have the same problem

kit after kit. I seem to always get glue on the windows when I'm gluing them

in. And can never get it off. Am I just dumb or is there a: an easier way of gluing to prevent this happening or b: an easy way to remove the glue? Thanks

Hi there. I always seem to have the same problem

kit after kit. I seem to always get glue on the windows when I'm gluing them

in. And can never get it off. Am I just dumb or is there a: an easier way of gluing to prevent this happening or b: an easy way to remove the glue? Thanks

Easiest way to both prevent and remove goof ups at the same time is use Elmer's white glue or any other white glue that dries clear for your windows. I have used both Elmer's school glue and Testors window glue (that looks the same as school glue) for windows for many years and have no problems with it. If you get some on the window itself, it will wash off with water.

Easiest way to both prevent and remove goof ups at the same time is use Elmer's white glue or any other white glue that dries clear for your windows. I have used both Elmer's school glue and Testors window glue (that looks the same as school glue) for windows for many years and have no problems with it. If you get some on the window itself, it will wash off with water.

X2

Pacer "Formula 560" Canopy glue is my favorite for gluing clear plastic.

I was going to post this as well, but you beat me to it. It's much thicker than normal white glues, and stronger than most once dry...but because of the viscosity it has more "grip" prior to it drying, so the glass won't slide around. There is a lot less chance getting fingerprints on it from handling to keep the glass in place or from having to keep installing it after it falls out again and again.

Also, don't forget (and this is why I use it for all my windows, emblems, lenses, and such), if you don't like what is glued, just put it in water, and the water will resoften it back to glue. Also, if you glue an emblem on and a little bit squishes out from under the emblem, use a wet q-tip to wipe away the excess. Leave the streak and let the part dry. When it's dry (I usually wait till overnight, but it's not necessary), use a q-tip dipped in hot water. Touch you hand first to get off most the water so you don't have water, with it's capillary action, going under your part. For cars painted black, or dark colors, I boil water on the stove, did the q-tip in the water, press it against my palm (there is not enough water or surface area to burn you) and then wipe the model. The warm damp tip will remove ANY residue and your stuff will look super clean. I use this especially when I remove the molded in windshield washer nozzles from the hood, prime, paint, clear and polish and then put them back. It makes your paint look that much nicer and you did not bury them under all that paint and clear. Then take a toothpick. touch a small drop to the hood (a speck really) and put your nozzle back. Let it dry and then clean as directed above. I use it all the time. Great stuff.

Sorry for the hijack Mark, but needed to add some positive things since we have been accused of not doing that in other "locked" threads!!

David

After attaching many an airplane canopy, here is what I now do. I dip all "glass" in Future Floor Finish. Then when dry, I attach the "glass" with tiny drops of superglue. The Future prevents the fogging normally associated with using superglue on clear parts and makes for a strong bond.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Going to have to give the Future Clear trick a try as I ruined a window today due to super glue getting on the window. luckily I had a small stash of extra "windows" and was able to shave one down to similar size. Wish I saw this thread earlier :lol::rolleyes: A lot of great tips here.

Going to have to give the Future Clear trick a try as I ruined a window today due to super glue getting on the window. luckily I had a small stash of extra "windows" and was able to shave one down to similar size. Wish I saw this thread earlier :lol::rolleyes: A lot of great tips here.

Did you know you can use SuperGlue on windows? Just make sure you buy the Gold (foam safe) type, and for accelerator... "InstaSet" works with the foam safe stuff. Both made by Bob Smith Industries, and I have used both successfully to install windows.

I've ruined enough windows, & paint jobs, in my day to give up on super glue for a lot of things. If it's any part that's coming anywhere near the finish, I use glue designed for clear parts. I use Testors, but there's any number of others.

Steve

Yup.

Microscale Krystal Klear - dries clear, cleans up with water and is flexible but strong. Great stuff.

Yup yup...

or any of the similar PVA glues (polyvinyl acetate) work beautifully. They dry completely clear, and excess cleans up with a damp wipe. No crazing, no fuming, no hassle, no solvent damage, no little kid fingerprints, no BS.

Get your clear parts to actually fit. Then tape or otherwise fixture them in position while the PVA glue sets up. The stuff is perfectly strong enough to keep windows, lenses, and other clear parts firmly affixed to a model that's handled by adults with brains, forever.

I have the tamiya ultra thin and it dries clear but, it takes a while for it to dry. Plus it comes with a very convenient cap/brush. So I was impatient, thought I had super glue mastered, and I lost another battle. Next time I'll take my time with the tamiya, or purchase the testors since it's readily available at hobby lobby.

Hi all

I started using the Micro Liquidtape a while back. It looks like, and applies. same as the Krystal Kleer, except that you apply to only 1 surface then let dry (usually only a few minutes) and you are left with a tacky but dry surface. For window, apply to the window frame and let dry, then press windows in place. Since the adhesive is dry/solid, there is no ooze to clean up. Also it allows you to reposition the windows to get them just right. The stuff has more than enough tack to hold the windows in place.

Theo