Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Chevy Pick Up--Takes a Lickin' But It Keeps On Tickin'!

LONG LIVE RUST, as someone likes to say. :lol: Nicely weathered Pickup. Engine looks very good too, from what I can see. Great job with it, it's pretty hard to make car look rusty, but also realistic.

Edited by W-409

Charlie, if all you want is subtle weathering why don't you just use a little bit of liquid mask applied with a toothpick in areas where you want to see a little rust--that will do the job. Try it, you'll like it, and then suddenly you'll be hooked on rust.

LONG LIVE RUST!

Dr. Cranky, I really admire your work, especially those who can give us tetanus. ;)

If I may make a suggestion, I think the front grill, rearview and headlights ornaments could follow the rust stage of the rest of the car. But it doesnt discredit the work anyway.... Outstanding job as always. Congrats!!!!

Thanks, my friend. Yeah, I do that every once in a while. I don't glue the big components so that I can take everything down to the chassis and be able to gawk over it time and again, it's a comforting feeling to know all that rust is there! LOL!

Thanks for the generous comments, mates.

I am glad you stuck to new materials for a worksite . If it was a weathered load , it would be a broken down truck with a rotted load . It would have been stuck in the same spot for too long . This depicts a working truck in all of it's working glory . The weathering is so just right as all of your builds . You mentioned chrome rusts . It is the steel under it and causes the bond to break . This causes the flaking . During the Korean Conflict , raw materials were rationed . This occured during '51-'53 MY . Please correct me if I am wrong about the time period . This includes copper used to bond steel and Chrome . Chrome was rationed also . The Stainless Steel oxidized on the Auto trim during these years . Still a better solution to Black Out steel trim .

I always look for your builds Doc Cranky . Always impecable to see and admire . Your salvage on wheels is sometimes savage I must say ..lol .. Thanx ..