Model Cars Magazine Forum

done with the hobby i think

Hi Rick well you know what they say once a model builder always a model builder in a few years or at a later date you'll be craving to model build again.I sure wouldn't sell my model stuff I would just stash it away for while that is my oppion.

..........I did something like this back in '97....I would do it differently if I had the chance again....I got real bored and no ambition to do it anymore,so I got rid of almost everything and years later I got the "disease" back and spending $$$$ trying to replace certain kits,tool,etc.,but the flip side of the coin,I am enjoying the hobby even more then than I ever had.....just my opinion,but I would just walk away for awhile and keep what you got........

Gotta agree with everyone else. If you're burned out with the hobby, just let it go. But don't get rid of all the stuff... odds are the bug will hit you again sometime down the road. When it does, you'll be glad you kept all the kits and stuff.

I did the same thing in '80. Bought some more kits in '88 & quit again in '91. Those times I gave away everything. I started buying the occasional kit,glue, & paints again i '95. This time I kept most of it. When the economy dumped, I had to sell all my 1:1 toys, most of my tools & move to the middle of nowhere! I got injured on the job & dusted off the 1:25 stuff. In the last 4 months, I've gone from 20 kits to 60, discovered this web site, aftermarket parts, & a whole new world of modeling fun. The only thing I would trade this for is a thriving economy, a good income & all my 1:1 stuff back. My only regret is NOT keeping ALL my old 1:25 stuff. I chose to "lose" that stuff.

Yep couldn't agree more stsh it away in a few years U'll come back to it, we've all been there heck I've returned after 40 years in the wildeness and I luv wot I do it ain't much a model here and there when I can aford it and I also build cardstock BUT I'm back and it's fun. Like I said I don't do much but I do it.

Dingo B)

I quit too about 3 or 4 times but I always come back. I have been on plane kicks and quit. Come back with building tanks and quit. Came back building drag cars. I also collect guns so I go back and fourth between the 2. Having only so much money to spend sometimes one hobby has to give way to the other. I am 60 now and still build models. As long as the eyes hold out I guess I will always be building something. It's a good way to fight boredom and for stress relieve if you have any stress in your life.

I did the same thing back in the late 90's, sold all my kits, trucks, cars, resin, etc, but for some reason kept hold of my tools, went off and did other things, but then a few years down the line wish I hadn't sold the kits, but it was too late to do anything, some of the Italeri truck kits I just can't replace, and when they do come on eBay, they go for silly money ...

Would I sell up again ??? Never !!, keep hold of your stuff, and go off and try other hobbies, but one day, you'll be back building ....

Don't get rid of anything chances are you'll be back , i sold all my woodworking stuff years ago because i had no desire to do it anymore, and 3 years ago i got the bug again and 10,000 dollars later i still haven't replaced everything i sold

Just put your stuff in boxes an put it all away for a while. If you get rid of it all, then you will pay up the wazzoo to replace all your stuff. and by then, WHO knows how much it'll cost ya to get back in!!! just step back, take a break, and C'mon back in when your ready, the water'll still be nice! :D^_^

Yeah we all do it , I put it down every now and then only to come back to building a lil while later, the first time i quit I thought I was done for good so i sold all my stuff, and threw all my trophys and awards in the trash To this day I wish I hadnt. I had some rare models that I would have a hard time finding today. not to mention some of my early builds that I can never get back. I say just hold on to what you have cause chances are you'll be back.

Don't sell your Modeling Stuff, just put it away so that you will have it to come back to. I can't build anything right now and it is driving me nuts!

I have always built plastic models, mostly Model Cars, and Military Models, but I also enjoy building Military Aircraft. I keep from burning out by changing between them occasionally.

Even while I was Racing Grp 7 Slot Cars as a Pro in the seventies I built plastic. I still buid and race Slot Cars, and I have a fully detailed 1/32 Track Layout, photo of my Track are posted in the Model Racing Section of this Forum.

I have never sold my Models, or tools, but I have had them destroyed twice, due to home fire and a storm, and I had a very hard time replacing them.

Before you walk away from the hobby, do you know any kids who might enjoy it? Reason I'm asking is that I've been where you're at, and the solution came to me, (quite literally), in my garage workshop. One day while in my shop with the door open, I was lamenting my lack of 'scale' motivation, when a group of young boys, (7-9 year-olds) saw me and approached. They asked what I was doing? I told them that i build models in my shop. They asked to see some of them, so I grabbed a couple off the shelf and proceeded to explain what they were, what I had done to them, which prompted more questions. Before I knew it I'd spent probably an hour with these kids, answering questions and watching their enthusiasm grow. At the end of our conversation I gave each one a kit from my stash, invited them to ask questions or just share their progress and sent them on their way. After they left I returned to my workbench with a renewed enthusiasm and I've never looked back.

Sometimes it pays to view a creative block or any life problem from a new perspective. I've learned that the perspective provided by young people often provides the greatest inspiration. I now have a granddaughter who's expressed interest in the hobby, so will be sharing experiences with her that I know already will provide a new way for me to view issues, model-related and otherwise. Just saying, you may want to put the decision on hold until you've consulted an 'authority' on fun - a child. :)

I sold of 95% of my 1/25 scale stash about ten years ago... Just didn't see myself getting back into cars and trucks... I am STILL kicking myself today for doing that... I had out of production kits that were old when I picked up as a teenager that would be worth a mint today, not to mention other kits that just can't be found now.. 1/8, 1/12, 1/16, 1/25... STUPID ME!!! Thinned my stash out about 4 years ago.... MISTAAAKE!!! Do yourself a big, long-term favor... Put everything away somewhere and forget about it for a while. If you don't change your mind in a few years, THEN get rid of it. You cannot make a good snap decision about this subject... ever!

Edited by Wagoneer81

Wow! I see there is a certain theme in the responses!

Uh huh! Several of us have been there, done that, and still regret what we did. I can't, in good conscience, sit back and watch someone else make the same mistake I made, without at least throwing my hat in the ring... I still have 'down times' when I just don't feel like doing any building. The longest was three months...Long story short; I'm still building. Over the winter, I felt like giving it up. Today, I have 3 stock Model-T's on the bench along with 5 other projects, in various levels of completion. Does this sound like the same person that was seriously considering getting out of it a few months ago???

Edited by Wagoneer81

Rick,

Yup, been there as well. I sold all my stuff in '94 after my first divorce, HUGE mistake.

After this divorce, I just moved my stuff to a buddys house, and waited until the funk was gone, and dove back in.

Never again will I make that mistake :)

HTH,

Cheers, ian

I agree with everyone else, we are just trying to give you sound advice from learning the hard way. I have modelled for 30 years, a few years ago I got bit by the golfing bug, sold all my kits and airbrushes, compressor, tools, etc to afford golf, I swore I would never go back then 2 years ago I experienced a medical condition and could not golf any more, went crazy at home and now getting back into it but had to spend so much money to replace everything I need which I use to have, should of packed it all away in storage. So I learned the hard way as well as others here, again just trying to save you money. I believe this is a hobby that is in a persons blood, you might leave it but it is never really gone, just take a break and pack things away, I think some day you will come back to it.