Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Police Van

Years ago I took the AMT van kit and shortened it up and added some Police items to replicate the Kent State riot van which was purchased after the May 70 protests

P1030770-vi.jpg

It took six JoHan police cars to get all the speakers, The Visibar light bar is from the Johan kit

P1030771-vi.jpg

I just recently got the logo duplicated thanks to Charlie Rowley and replaced the home made ones I did years ago that is why there are marks around the doors

P1030772-vi.jpg

The antenna have hand wound bases. Just a simple build with some modifications about 1/4 inch out of the center.

If you wonder what I used back in the 70's for the logo, here ya go- Poncho decal for lightning bolt, Cobra number circles, Studebaker logo for the red/blue, Pure oil for the arcs, black and white dry transfer letters using I's and V's on the black circle, MPC ford van decal to cut yellow Ohio out of. and the K was hand painted over all the layers

greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like it, sort of used and abused look i'd expect of a police vehiclearrow-10x10.png.

6 kits? holy cow. what did that set you back. it might have been cheaper to learn casting and make your ownarrow-10x10.png copies!

I believe the kit were about $3.00 a piece at the time I acquired them, I have many variations of the police car kit and it had a lot of great parts

greg

Very nice. One thing that bugs me about these van kits, this is not your doing, is the height of the wipers. It makes them look toy like. If I get one of these, I will remover about 2/3 of the wiper arm, reglue and foil them for better dimensions.