Model Cars Magazine Forum

I thought I would share this old build of a subject that you just don't see too often. This was built around 15 years ago. It was a good learning experience for me.

There was an elderly gentleman that I worked with who knew I built models. He found this at a yard sale and bought it for $1.00. He asked me to build it for him and I thought "How hard could it be?" It was a lot harder than I thought. Lots of filling and sanding. Tons of detail painting. 32 legs and hoofs. Painting their manes. All of the detail painting on their collars - all of the gold is hand painted. The hardest part for me was trying to get the correct color and sheen on the horses. All in all, I was happy with the outcome. More importantly, so was he.

Pardon the quality of the pictures. They are scanned from good ol' fashioned paper photos, (remember those???)

Here is what I started with.

Budclydesdales1.jpg

Budclydesdales2.jpg

Here is what I finished with.

Budclydesdales3.jpg

Budclydesdales4.jpg

Budclydesdales5.jpg

Sweet! I've encountered this kit from time to time over the years, and I've been tempted to buy it and try it.

Fortunately it was the wrong livery (not the Silver Bullet) to hook me for certain, so I've not tackled it.

You did a great job with it!

Thanks for all of the nice comments. Yes Harry, the fact that all the horses are the same bothered me too but changing their stance was well beyond my capabilities. Even if they would have put two different poses in the kit the builder could have mixed them up a little.

A small follow up to this story. The man that I built this for retired so I did not see him too often. On one of the times I saw him I asked how the model was holding up. He told me he traded it for a knife.... :blink::huh::wacko:. I sure would have liked to get it back. It really was an eye catching model.

Very nicely done!

I have built that before and it is impressive.

Back in the day my police station was just across the street from AB world HQ. They had stables down the block on the property as they did pull the wagons in a byegone era. Those majestic horses routinely got away by untying themselves and opening gates.We'd find them on the lawn of the station and have to lead them back. The horses were definately smart, perhaps smarter thatn their handlers.

G