Model Cars Magazine Forum

Our Father/Son project with my kid

mrm

The other day I was in the hobby shop and my kid asked me to make a model together. He chose the Boothill Express. He likes the skeleton I guess and all the shiny pipes on the motor. Well that's mind of an eight year old. I had reservations about the project, because this kit is not exactly 8year old material, but to my great surprise and delight my kiddo is handling it like a champ so far.

0qbv.jpg
ugxh.jpg
7v3e.jpg
jbhs.jpg
vfc5.jpg
bvgo.jpg
lrcr.jpg
t2z6.jpg
g64z.jpg

Thank you. Ryan (on the pictures) loves it. Tried last year to build a F14 Tomcat with him, but that never came to fruition. But he LOVES Hot Rods.

About the Boothill Express….The one in Peterson is a replica. It was build not too long after the original and it was dubbed "the outdoor car", while the original was "the indoor car". The original one is in a private collection after it sold for $125 000 some years ago. The "outdoor car" was created for demonstrations and they even drag raced it. The idea was that the original was way too fragile and to preserve the real 1850 wooden hearse that the original was built using. The one in Petersen is actually fiberglass. This creates confusion when researching the car, because people think that it changed over the years and it didn't. Just different pictures from the same era showing two different cars. There are quite few detail differences between them. Thank God the model actually replicates the original "indoor car".

Good info. I believe the boss guy that took me down there told me that and it looked well worn for sure. To be honest I was in sensory overload about then. Lol. I drove for 3 days to get there and once I got to the hot rods they were moving them out to the Oakland roadster show. I was a bit sad but then the curator said "come with me, I will make your long trip worthwhile" and he took me and my family down to the vault and said "go nuts". We were down there for 3 hours or so looking at and touching the cars and taking pictures. It was something I will never forget.

Great to see Michael..!! I can't wait until my 3 year old grandson gets into building. Unfortunately he lives in VA, outside of DC, and I'm in western PA so we don't get together often, but I know he'll get into it because he loves cars (Thanks to me) and he's always asking "What did you build for me?" I bring him built snap kits whenever I get to see him, but he's still trashes everything with his rough play. I'm sure he'll outgrow that and start taking better care of his toys.

Thanks a lot guys. It is really appreciated to see the encouragement. He is at school right now, but I'll show him the thread when he comes back. I hope it pumps him up and motivates him to keep going.

As for glue bombs at this age - this is where I come in in this project. Not as much doing stuff, but showing him how to do them the right way himself.

This is by far and away the best post on this forum in a long long time!!!!

Love seeing this guy building ---

Thanks for sharing!!!!! Keep us posted please!!!! (That last photo of him --- in the red shirt---just says it all!!!!)

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

I went to my buddy who owns a paint shop and asked him for some paint for the model. We looked at pictures on the net and then he came up with some paint that is basically just a base coat called starfire.

I gave my kid an introduction to all the parts of an airbrush and then explained to him how everything works. Then loaded it up and let him have at it.

si9c.jpg

wm6m.jpg
I had to guide his hand a couple of times to show him how to make smooth passes, but he did pretty great actually. This is the body mocked up
1xeg.jpg
Later when dry, he applied semi gloss black to the curtains and gold to the trim. I had to touch it up here or there, but over all he handled it like a champ.
zpn2.jpg
2bqm.jpg
i5ec.jpg
nmpn.jpg
Oh…and by the way, I was not that happy with the color, so I took just the second part of giallo tristrati (a Ferrari tri-coat pearl) and sprayed it over the starfire base. It gave it a goldish tint, as it is basically a clear yellow pearl. I think the color is dead on now.
Edited by mrm

Ryan,

You are quite a talented builder, your paint job came out great. This is a pretty hard model to build and you are doing a fantastic job on it. I look forward to watching it progress and to see it finished. Are you enjoying building it, and better yet, spending time with your dad? One more question, do you plan to build more models? If so, what do you think will be your next project?

Michael,

Great job on bonding with your son, I wish when I was a kid that my father showed any interest in my hobbies or interests. The pic of the body mocked up on the chassis, is that before or after the yellow pearl was added?