Model Cars Magazine Forum

test painting on plastic spoons

Ok so im sure some of us wondered "How will this paint react with this clear" or "How can i try a new tactic without killing a body". Well while at wally world i was thinking the samethings as i picked up some paint. So i went looking for something cheap to test on. In the party isle and also in the paper goods(plates,towels,cups) i found some plastic spoons that you would use for a unformal get togeather. So instantly it popped in my head these might work then i noticed the price was only three bucks so i said why not and grabbed a box. I came home and instantly went to work practicing new tactics. I tried the lace, marblizing,and a old idea using cheese cloth. Heres my first results.

cheese cloth

151.jpg

155.jpg

marblizing

152.jpg

154.jpg

lace

153.jpg

then i thought why not put a candy over them

lace

157.jpg

cheese cloth

158.jpg

marblizing

159.jpg

Then i figure why not see what all three look like togeather

160.jpg

161.jpg

So if your trying to figure out what to test paint on go grab some plastic spoons its cheaper then a doner body and in the end you can toss them instead of keeping them.

its a trick that is like a public secret

most of the older modelers know about it and every once in a while it pops up in a WIP but i dont recal it ever being 'introduced' as a trick

i do like the way your lace and marble comes out, would look good on a 70s drag racer, specially in a rainbow colour scheme

its a trick that is like a public secret

most of the older modelers know about it and every once in a while it pops up in a WIP but i dont recal it ever being 'introduced' as a trick

i do like the way your lace and marble comes out, would look good on a 70s drag racer, specially in a rainbow colour scheme

lol well i let the cat outta the bag (prepairs for morter fire). And thanks for the good words.

I use them slightly differently. I use them as a 'pallet' of colors.

When I start a project, I make several finish choices, spray the spoons with them and hold them next to subassemblies like chassis, interiors and wheels. This gives a much more accurate idea what the finished project will look like rather than trying to imagine a color chip, the cap or bottle color in three dimensions.

The colors I don't use are available for other projects where the spoons help out again. :angry:

Far as I know, I was the first to come up with the spoon trick. Posted it years ago when I was on the SAE forum and it was published in the magazine in the "tips and tech" section. I think there's a couple members here who'll remember that ,, VW Dave for one.

Hey, I don't have that many original ideas so at least give me credit for those ones I do have. LOL :o

sorry bro not trying to step on toes

been doing it since I starting airbrushing about 8 yrs ago ,,, I got it from a magazine or someone else ,, so yeah it's not like a new tip but worth bringing up for those who might find it useful ... it's very useful no doubt !.. almost all my painting experiments involve spraying spoons.

I think there's a couple members here who'll remember that ,, VW Dave for one.

Hey, I don't have that many original ideas so at least give me credit for those ones I do have. LOL B)

I don't recall it from SAE, but from one of your posts on another forum. I started painting more spoons than models in 2006, and that's when I created this Fotki album:

TAMIYA PAINT TESTS

I also do the Sharpie thing like Dave mentioned, as it can be hard to keep track otherwise

Those spoons proved invaluable when working on my craft store acrylic paint experiments too.

DSCN9974_edited-vi.jpg

Did someone mention spoons ? Steve,this has got to be one of the best ideas to ever happen to the modeling world.I like to think of it as going to a big time car show and seeing the color display by House of Colors,you know the painted little computer mousy looking things they use.Here are a couple of examples of my spoon rack.

004-vi.jpg

008-vi.jpg

very cool bro i need to do mine up like that right now they are on a snap ring with a hole drilled in the base

why do people quote the entire post w/ photos directly above them? ...aside from eating up bandwidth .. never understood that

that spoon rack is awesome

Because they don't realize that when you click on the reply button that's right below the post you're actually quoting the post. To reply without quoting the post you need to click on the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page (as you did).

Kevin,

I invented the spoon trick after a bad nap in kindergarden (the teacher referred to it as the kool-aid incident). Then Larry came along right after the holidays (the teacher referred to it as the Christmas Eve incident) and stole my idea for his light bulbs. Then, I was strumming my guitar one night in Tennessee, and, well....you get the idea. Hey, at least when I invented post-its nobody tried to steal my thunder!! :angry:

Ok, seriously, how did you do the marble effect? Very nice, show us more!!

Mike

B)

classic case of old skool kitchen table modellling....

"use what you got" came for the eara of,,,, what ever you could find in the house hold to do the Job.

good friend uses the handle of the spoons for transmission tunnel,,for his scratch built stuff(resin bodies)

I walked out of my local Euro shop(Dollar store) a fewe months ago..with 3 bags of 100 plastic spoons.. ;)

great idea whoever came up with it.... just keep thinkin what you can use in the home. ;)

Edited by Boreham

That was funny, Mike.

I think the marble effect comes from putting a piece of Saran Wrap over wet paint and then lifting it off. A friend of mine did it on his Harley gas tank and it looked terrific. If I remember correctly, he sprayed a base coat and let dry, followed by a different color with retarder added so the paint wouldn't set up so quickly. I'd like to know how it's done in scale, too.

About the "invented" part. I "invented" the use of washes consisting of thinned black paint for grilles back in the 60s. (Hah.) :P

I even "invented" the use of fingernail polish for body paint (double "Hah.")

That was without the benefit of good model magazines or the Internet at that time; without question, many other modelers were doing exactly the same thing then, but I wasn't aware of it, which doesn't mean that I was some kind of genius (my school transcript will prove that). Necessity (and lack of resources) is often the mother of re-invention, and I think it's nice that the discovery of the spoon thing was shared with us and that it could stimulate our members to share their means of using it.

I only say this because there were a couple of posts that I thought were unnecessarily derisive of the OP's claim to have invented the spoon test, and I don't think he meant it that way at all.

Edited by sjordan2

I didn't invent anything in the hobby....BUT I will steal all YOUR good tips and ideas in a flash!!!:) :)

So thanks for all past and future ideas!!B) B) :P

I think the marble effect comes from putting a piece of Saran Wrap over wet paint and then lifting it off. A friend of mine did it on his Harley gas tank and it looked terrific. If I remember correctly, he sprayed a base coat and let dry, followed by a different color with retarder added so the paint wouldn't set up so quickly. I'd like to know how it's done in scale, too.

Same way...HOK does have the marbleizing paints in the book

http://www.ecsvr.com...cat=MARBILIZERS

Edited by Stasch

That was funny, Mike.

yup thats the way i did it bro.

I shot silver and let it dry and gas out for about 30mins. Then shot satin black over it while the paint was wet i took a piece of cling wrap and made sure there was some ripples in it. I covered the wet black coat and pressed it on the paint surface till the silver base started to show in some places. I then removed it and let it all dry for a hour.Shot the candy over it and presto i got a marble paintjob. Oh yeah there was no retardner or hardner added all the colors came from a can :lol: