Model Cars Magazine Forum

McQ's '73 Trans Am

mrmike

on pontiac engines there is a water passage from the backside of the top of the water pump to the intake manifold (if you feel like doing that) it would take just a short piece of small evergreen rod to replicate this.

Thanks for that tip, Mike!

I paint detailed the wheels tonight.

McQ19.jpg

I cleaned the tires of the white letters and installed the wheels

McQ20.jpg

Then I installed the wheels and tires onto the chassis.

McQ21.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Well Charlie, I stripped the wheels of their chrome plating and painted them accordingly to match Pontiac Rallye II wheels..

After doing more research and listening to some sound advice, I have pulled the engine apart and repainted it with Model Master Big Bad Blue, which looks close to the GM corporate blue used in '73.

McQ22.jpg

I washed the front and rear windows and the interior and seats. The interior will be repainted and I may use embossing powder on the carpet.

McQ23.jpg

McQ24.jpg

More to come...

Thanks Carl, but I can't take credit for the tip. That came from The70judgeman.

At this point, I cannot go any further with McQ's Trans Am. I am still waiting for paint to arrive, and so I'll continue working on my Mercedes SLS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I sit here waiting for my paint to show up at my door. The first can never made it probably because the shipper put the wrong address on the box. Now, another can is suppose to be on the way and should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. We shall see...

I paint detailed the wheels tonight.

McQ19.jpg

I cleaned the tires of the white letters and installed the wheels

McQ20.jpg

Then I installed the wheels and tires onto the chassis.

McQ21.jpg

More to come...

This is going to be one cool looking Poncho! Your wheels are really nice. I used to see all those Pontiacs with all sizes of those Rallye II wheels, Hated them at the time, they were all over the place. But now, I kinda like them quite a bit. Same thing for the Corvette type rally wheel!

Edited by BigBad

I finally got my paint on Tuesday and I sprayed this afternoon. I must admit, this is nice paint as it sprayed thin even coats. The paint came from Automotive Touchup.

McQ31.jpg

McQ33.jpg

McQ32.jpg

I'll let this dry and then hit it with some Testors Wetlook Gloss Clear.

More to come...

The build is looking good. I agree that perhaps a good outdoor shot would help (this week will be good- mostly filtered sun with lowish humidity, especially Friday), but either way, I know it'll be another one to be proud of when you're done, Mike.

Will this one be debuting in October?

Charlie Larkin

• 4 weeks later...

Looks awesome! And the paint you used is the Tamiya British Green? Reason I asked is because this looks like the perfect green for my current build.

No, I did not use the Tamiya British Green paint. I used Brewster Green paint from a company called Automotive Touchup. I split the cost of the 12 oz. can of paint with a friend.

The build is looking good. I agree that perhaps a good outdoor shot would help (this week will be good- mostly filtered sun with lowish humidity, especially Friday), but either way, I know it'll be another one to be proud of when you're done, Mike.

Will this one be debuting in October?

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, I'm not sure when I'll finish the T/A. Life has been kicking me really hard for the past month and I have little to no time or ambition to work on any of my projects. And, I hate trying to push myself to finish a project since the end result is usually less than spectacular.

It's been awhile since I have done anything with this T/A and since it is raining outside, I decided to spend a little time on it. I clearcoated the shaker hood scoop this morning. I painted the scoop a couple of weeks ago after I stripped the paint when I discovered a major flaw in the paint on top of the scoop.

McQ34.jpg

McQ35.jpg

McQ36.jpg

More to come...