Model Cars Magazine Forum

For the 30's era kits. Questions

gtx6970

I am having an interest in some of the early 30s kits to build somewhere down the road if for nothing but a change of pace. Such as Cadillacs, Packards, Duesenbergs etc.

Is there any particular version to avoid or that would be the 1st choice to build. ?

Edited by gtx6970

All of the Monogram/Revell classics build really easily and look good. The Jo-han kits are trickier but look great when done. The Italeri kits are very nicely done but not for beginners. They have multi-piece bodies. The MPC Imperials and Lincolns are fairly good but need some tweaking and lots of dechroming! The Hellers are a quirky bunch. They range from pretty buildable (Bugatti, Hispano) to utterly unbuildable (540K). Start with the Monograms and work your way up the food chain!

Thanks for the notes. I've always been facinated by and have always enjoyed seeing the Big touring cars of the late 20's to early 30's . And I bought a sealed MPC 1932 Chrysler a few years ago. But I would like to get several more while the mood strikes me for future builds someday. The 1/24th - 1/25th scales are a must.

Something like these have caught my attention, especially the Imperial. being a Mopar fan might have something to do with that

To be honest, I don't need high end detailed kits, but I want something that if it's supposed to be a 1933 Imperial kit, it darn well better look like that once assembled and on the shelf. So I'm not after the 'having wire your own wheels' kits, just something nice without taking out a second mortage

Edited by gtx6970

All four of those are excellent kits. The Imperial and Bugatti are both Italeri kits marketed by Testors and have very good detail. The only downsides to the Italeri kits are plastic tires and, at least in the case of the Bugatti, multi-piece bodies. The Monogram Packards and Deusies are absolutely outstanding kits, with beautiful chrome parts and vinyl tires with snap-in whitewalls. You really can't go wrong with any of the Monogram Museum Pieces- the Cadillac V-16 kits are breathtaking as well, and the Mercedes 540s. They also did a couple of Springfield-built Rolls-Royce Phantom II models with working steering. The Jo-Han Gold Cup Cadillac kits are pretty good, too.Just stay clear of the Lindberg/Pyro kits (Auburn Speedster, '48 Continental, Cord 812), which are primitive at best, and you'll be fine!

I have had the opportunity to buld every model of a CCCA (Classic Car Club of America) Classic in existance. If you want an extensive article I wrote about the topic for the CCCA Bulletin I would be glad to get it to you. As to my opinion, I agree with the posters above with the exception of the Chrysler Imperial by Testors. I have found that one looks a little "off" somehow and has never really captured the essence of the real car. That being said it is not a bad model, it just is not as good as the Monogram kits. The Duesenberg Town Car is a very good choice as is the Packard Phaeton. if you Google images of Packard 734 Phaeton you will find some good photos of several of the remaining 734 Phaetons, though you will find almost all of the correct 734's have rear mounted spares. The exception is the Jepson/Kerr car that is painted in a very nice color scheme; Blue fenders, red undercarriage/ silver body with blue reveals, blue interior, chrome wheels...though as you can see that one has already been done!

1930Packards-1.jpg

Good luch with these and if I can be of help let me know.

Eric

Last thing, and this is probably more than you ever wanted to know, here is the complete list (to the best of my knowledge) of all of the CCCA models ever made in 1/24 scale.

The 1/24 Scale CCCA Classic Models

Pyro/Lindberg (5)

1935 Auburn 851Speedster

1937 Cord 812 Phaeton

1948 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet

1929 Mercedes Benz SSK

1931 Bugatti Royale Victoria

Monogram (15)

1934 Duesenberg SJ Weyman Torpedo Pheaton

1934 Duesenberg SJ Murphy Town Car

1935 Duesenberg SJ Rollston Roadster

1931 Duesenberg SJ Murphy Speedster

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom II Roadster

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom II Phaeton

1937 Cord 812 Phaeton

1927 Bugatti Type 35B

1938 Mercedes 540K Cabriolet B

1938 Mercedes 540K Coupe

1930 Packard 734 Speedster Runabout

1930 Packard 734 Speedster Phaeton

1931 Packard 840 Custom 8 Phaeton

1932 Cadillac 452B V-16 Phaeton

1941 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet

Johan (5)

1931 Cadillac 452A V-16 Cabriolet

1931 Cadillac 452A V-16 Phaeton

1931 Cadillac 452A V-16 Town Car

1934 Mercedes Benz 500K Speziel Roadster

1934 Mercedes Benz 500K Coupe Limousine

MPC (4)

1928 Lincoln L 7-passenger Phaeton Locke

1928 Lincoln L Roadster

1932 Chrysler Imperial Convertible Sedan

1932 Chrysler Imperial Convertible Coupe

Heller (7)

1930 Alfa Romeo 8C Roadster

1929 Bentley 4 ½ Litre LeMans Racer

1935 Delage D8S Cabriolet by Chapron

1934 Hispano Suiza 6K Town Car Kellner

1932 Bugatti 57C Coupe

1938 Delahaye 135

1939 Mercedes Benz 540K Speziel Sports Roadster

Testors-Itelleri (8)

1933 Cadillac 452-C V-16-Joan Crawford Fleetwood Town Car

1933 Cadillac 452-C V-16-Al Jolsen Fleetwood Convertible Sedan

1929 Bugatti Royale Berline de Voyage

1929 Bugatti Royale de Villers Town Car

1929 Bugatti Royale Coupe Napoleon Town Cabriolet

1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom-II Maharaja Convertible Sedan

1934 Mercedes-Benz 500K Cabriolet C

1933 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton by LeBaron

Bandai (1)

1935 Duesenberg SJ Sedan

Heller also made a Bugatti T50 coupe. There are also several more options when you get into larger scales like 1/16 and 1/12, issued by Revell, Minicraft / Academy, Anmark, Gunze Sangyo, Entex, etc. (Many of them boxed under multiple labels.) Here are just a few builds by the late, great Martin Swire. Most of these are substantially more complex than 1/24-25 kits.

http://www.freewebs.com/martsmodels/

Edited by sjordan2

Many Many thanks for the list. I never realized how many kits were avail for these cars over the years.

My interest 'for now' are the big road cars, something with the long roof lines , long flowing fenders and such. The ones that when seen would have instantly told the world the owners had money.

The odd part is I mainly do race car builds for the 1962-1973 time frames,with hardly any interest in building replica stocks. Yet, on these older cars all I have an interest in are the stock replica builds with zero interest to do race cars of that period

I already have an MPC 1932 Chrysler (shown) but it's a 2 seater / rumble seat roadster. although I will probably build it at some point It just doesn't really have that 'POP' that the big long roof road cars have that I really enjoy looking at do.

This all started when I attended a local concourse show here in Cincinnatti 2 weeks ago. Even though I had been to this show multiple times in years past , this year the big cars just screamed at me to do a few for my model room shelf.

This is the show I was at that really peaked my interest this year. CCCA cars were well represented this year for some reason.

http://www.ohioconcours.com/

I've bought and/or built many of the above-mentioned kits over the years, at least one from each manufacturer and I also think a Monogram kit would "suit you sir".

The 32 Cadillac might most closely fit the bill and it's one of the most satisfying kits I've ever built. Relatively high parts count, plenty of detail, but it all goes together without drama and looks the bee's knees when finished. The Packards and Duesenbergs are of the same high standard.

Monogram 1934 Duesenberg built mostly box stock. The only additions are spark plug wires, exhaust tips, interior door handles and license plates plus some BMF. Duplicolor paint. These kits turn out good especially for 1960's tooling.

IMGP1916.jpg

IMGP1905.jpg

IMGP1913.jpg

IMGP1911.jpg

IMGP1908.jpg

IMGP1918.jpg

thanks to all, and that Duesy looks REALLY nice.

And I just might have to add one of them to the wish list.

I've got the Testors 1933 Imperial coming and would like to get a few more , A 1932 Packard is at the top of the list with a Cadillac right behind that

I stand corrected and I omitted one. The Heller Bugatti is indeed a Type 50 not a Type 57, however, the Type 57 is available as a burrago diecast. It needs a lot of work including a complete new set of wheels and tires but could be made into a respectable Type 57 as the shape of the model is about right. True enough my list is a mixture of 1/24 and 1/25 scale models but they all look pretty good together. My omission is I learned there is a '37 Cord Sportsman out there that was done by a Japaneese manufacturer. Anyone know who built it as I do not.

Eric

The 1/24 Bburago diecast (both built and in kit form), while crude, is somewhat authentic to the Bugatti Atlantic it's based on (except for the silver paint version and a crummy engine). While that car is today the black version of the Pope Atlantic owned by Ralph Lauren, it has gone through multiple paint jobs, including blue and red, sometimes with wire wheels.

Bburago's blue version (medium dark blue, not light blue) is close to what this Atlantic version looked like before Lauren restored it - blue paint, light biscuit interior, silver painted wire wheels (also once painted blue and once chrome). But there are many far better diecasts out there. In fact, there's only one other kit, the Gouel in 1/12 (over $1000 for a curbside). My plan was to adapt the Bburago body to the highly detailed Franklin Mint Bugatti Atalante, but that's a lot of metal bodywork to get it right.

Edited by sjordan2

• 11 months later...

Last thing, and this is probably more than you ever wanted to know, here is the complete list (to the best of my knowledge) of all of the CCCA models ever made in 1/24 scale.

The 1/24 Scale CCCA Classic Models

Pyro/Lindberg (5)

1935 Auburn 851Speedster

1937 Cord 812 Phaeton

1948 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet

1929 Mercedes Benz SSK

1931 Bugatti Royale Victoria

Monogram (15)

1934 Duesenberg SJ Weyman Torpedo Pheaton

1934 Duesenberg SJ Murphy Town Car

1935 Duesenberg SJ Rollston Roadster

1931 Duesenberg SJ Murphy Speedster

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom II Roadster

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom II Phaeton

1937 Cord 812 Phaeton

1927 Bugatti Type 35B

1938 Mercedes 540K Cabriolet B

1938 Mercedes 540K Coupe

1930 Packard 734 Speedster Runabout

1930 Packard 734 Speedster Phaeton

1931 Packard 840 Custom 8 Phaeton

1932 Cadillac 452B V-16 Phaeton

1941 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet

Johan (5)

1931 Cadillac 452A V-16 Cabriolet

1931 Cadillac 452A V-16 Phaeton

1931 Cadillac 452A V-16 Town Car

1934 Mercedes Benz 500K Speziel Roadster

1934 Mercedes Benz 500K Coupe Limousine

MPC (4)

1928 Lincoln L 7-passenger Phaeton Locke

1928 Lincoln L Roadster

1932 Chrysler Imperial Convertible Sedan

1932 Chrysler Imperial Convertible Coupe

Heller (7)

1930 Alfa Romeo 8C Roadster

1929 Bentley 4 ½ Litre LeMans Racer

1935 Delage D8S Cabriolet by Chapron

1934 Hispano Suiza 6K Town Car Kellner

1932 Bugatti 57C Coupe

1938 Delahaye 135

1939 Mercedes Benz 540K Speziel Sports Roadster

Testors-Itelleri (8)

1933 Cadillac 452-C V-16-Joan Crawford Fleetwood Town Car

1933 Cadillac 452-C V-16-Al Jolsen Fleetwood Convertible Sedan

1929 Bugatti Royale Berline de Voyage

1929 Bugatti Royale de Villers Town Car

1929 Bugatti Royale Coupe Napoleon Town Cabriolet

1933 Rolls-Royce Phantom-II Maharaja Convertible Sedan

1934 Mercedes-Benz 500K Cabriolet C

1933 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton by LeBaron

Bandai (1)

1935 Duesenberg SJ Sedan

Never see the kit you call "1929 Bugatti Royale de Villers Town Car" of Testors. it's not a french name of a Bugatti Royale. "de ville" mean "town", "de Villers" is a personal name. There is two Bugatti Royale town cars: The "coupé de ville Napoléon" designed by Ettore Bugatti son's, Jean; and the "coupé de ville Binder" designed by the parisian designer Binder.

so i'm quite interested to know what car is in this kit? perhaps the Park-Ward limousine...