Model Cars Magazine Forum

like to know if anyone has tried nail tape for pin striping

sort of stumbled on this in amazon. i was searching pin vise and they showed a small dremle like drill used in nail salons .i clicked on it and if you use amazon you know they show other shopping suggestions at the bottom of the listing...nail tape showed up...this is 1 mm colored tape used for womans nails..comes in 10 or 12 colors...was wondering if anyone used it for pin striping?....almost all the listings were from china and i didn't want to wait..so i picked up a set off e bay 22 colors for 4.99 free shipping from the U.S...for $5.00 i thought i'd try it....here is a link to show what it looks like...real curious if this would work for models or did i just waste $5.00

http://www.mynailproducts.com/fostta.html?gclid=CMi9lYqKhbcCFYPd4AodBygAyA

Edited by BubbaJoe

Line O Tape makes adhesive pinstriping in metallics and basic colors, ranging from 1/64" to 1/4". I haven't applied mine yet so I can't vouch for longevity, but the chrome and brushed silver tapes look very nice. But $5 for 22 colors? Maybe for 2.

http://www.hobbymasters.com/line-o-tape-pinstriping-tapes.aspx

Edited by sjordan2

i stopped in sally beauty supply and asked about the nail tape.woman looked at me like i had 2 heads, never heard of it.there happen to be some sales rep there and said it was pretty new to the market and that most stores are a couple of years behind the times and amazon was my best bet...i was very quick to point out i wanted to use it for modle cars :blink: best pricing is on e bay..amazon had better pricing but they were all being shipped from hong kong or china w/a 2 to 3 week shipping time...i should have my order here by friday.

Very interesting material, good lateral thinking to recognize this as something that might be great for our hobby. Next time I'm in the beauty supply store for nail polish (for the models, you know?) I'll see if anything like this is available there.

I've got some, in chrome/silver. was gonna use it for clamps on radiator hoses-heater hoses. I could not get it to stick at all !! Forget about gluen' it, that just made a big mess!! I've haven't tried it since for anything!! Not sure how long it would stay for pinstriping?

Whats the thicknes on that Line-o-tape? Would it work as a break between two tone paint work?

Rob , I measured the Line-o-tape I have and it's between .003 " and .004" thick .

If you mean to use it as a pinstripe to separate two colors it works great ! It's flexible enough for curves but not too tight , similar to other tapes I've used . The one time I used it ( my '72 Ranchero ) , it stuck just fine and is still staying put . Maybe wrapping around a radiator hose is too small a diameter for it .

the nail tape showed up ...applied it to the bed of the 56 pickup i'm working on...i still need to trim it and finish the rest .it's very thin and static makes it want to cling rather than stick.i used a toothpick to press it into the bed.i still need to trim it and finish .doesn't look bad. i did get 22 different colors ,which surprised me. i was told i may get 22 rolls but only of a few colors.not sure how well it would work for pin stripes but for the price it would be worth a try.

IMG_4422.jpg

Edited by BubbaJoe