Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lets see some mini's

sports850

Too easy , Pendle slot cars make a variety of bodies and their website seems to change fairly regularly , I can only see the van , pickup , clubman sedan and riley elf (mini with a morris 1100 boot) there at present .

http://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/html/body_body_kits.htm

I don't suppose there's any chance of getting the broadspeed and traveller bodies copied in resin before you use them , I've never seen any scalekraft bodies down here .

Damir , that's an excellent job there , especially getting the (modified) plastic roof to match the finish on the die cast body , normally they look different .

Joe , I have a really early version of the Tamiya front wheel drive car , the front suspension is a horizontal spring right across the top of the front so instead of one front wheel rising independently one wheel goes up and the other is pushed down . It works well in some situations but others causes massive wheelspin . They are a hell of a lot of fun though and handle abuse well . I also have the Kyosho .049 rwd mini (1992 or thereabouts) , very fussy thing to keep running , the much later Kyosho .12 fwd mini (2000 or thereabouts , built bubt never fired) and a mardave ministock which is elecctric rwd , slower than the Tamiya and with solid suspension and foam tyres but is brilliant fun . Yes , I am obsessed ..... I also have 5 full sized mini's and variants in various states

Mine is Tamiya's M-03 chassis that uses upright shocks and is powered by a Castle Sidewinder with a 4600kV motor and a 4000mAh 2s li-po, even detuned as far as it will go, it's still shockingly fast! Had it at work in November and took it for a quick blast across the lot with a beater body and went to take a couple passes across the lot. A customer came up and asked if I "wanted to race for pinks", and I said "Sure", and crossed 2/3's of the lot in less time than his real car would with the front tires spinning like mad for about 1/4 of that distance.............next thing I heard him say was "never mind........." :D

• 3 weeks later...

Love seeing your mini builds Shawn , they are just so clean and sharp (I'm about to finally start a replica of my sports850 too , I've actually been too scared to use your grille and wheels , they are too perfect and I didn't want to stuff them up ...) .

Nice car cartpix , if only they'd given the rest of the world a body with the suicide door on the other side (RHD markets have you opening that door to put people in the back seat from the traffic side) , How long have you had it for and what's your impression of it ?

Finally got all of the light and new wheels and tires on my R/C Mini last week!

20120210_175045.jpg

20120210_175145.jpg

20120210_175118.jpg

I can toggle the lights on and off at will, the wheels are supposedly based on a design that BMW used on some of the new style Mini with some sticky tires that are close copies of a Yokohama Autocross tire (AE or AO 32's IIRC)

Nice , I'll get some photo's of my RC ones this afternoon if I remember them :) So how many chanel RC are you using to be able to do the lights as well ? I'd love to put magnets in the rear wheels and an electro magnet on the hub to have a semi working handbrake .... but I have way too many bright ideas ;)

I'm using E-Flite's LED Flying lights, y-harness', and control unit through channel 3 in a 4 channel Traxxas 2.4ghz TQ Link radio system. They're designed for aircraft, but work nicely on cars and trucks, but isn't waterproof (I do think that is possible to do though ;) ) I just upgraded this one to the uprights and steering knuckles off a M-05 with the tierods in the rear most holes and I swear the turning radius is about 25% tighter than it was before :huh: Haven't tried moving the rods to the inner hole on the knuckle in an attempt to tighten the radius more yet, but I'll bet the only way to get it to turn tighter at low speeds is to figure out how to add Dig or Cutting Brakes to it too.

Here's the lights from the earlier pics being clicked on and off.

I'm into R/C Rock Crawling too, so please pardon the cross terminology B)

Edited by Joe Handley

You're way above my level so I didn't notice the cross terminology :) I dragged mine out of storage today as they've been there for several years due to an ex wife not being very mini friendly :D

Kyosho .049 rwd mini , this is from somewhere around 1989 or 1990 , very basic and a bit of a pig to get running right . The 049 engine doesn't have a carb as such , just a mixture needle and a butterfly valve on the exhaust to slow it down . It also has a brass band that tightens on the flywheel for brakes but since the flywheel gets coated in oil from the exhaust ( along with everything else , hence kyosho tyres don't like being stored after being near nitro fuel , they stuck to the box ...) all the band does is smoke when applied . It ran great when in tune , not the best handling but sounded good .

kyosho1.jpg

kyosho2-1.jpg

Kyosho 15 fwd mini , never fired this one up , haven't got a smooth enough , big enough area to try it and besides , it just looks too cool to get dirty :D I got this one somewhere around 1998 from memory .

kyosho3.jpg

kyosho4.jpg

Mardave Ministox rwd electric , this is a very basic , low powered suspensionless mini but is a lot of fun , it's built like a tank and is modeled on a British class of speedway mini so can handle a lot of bumps . It's great fun against faster cars as it will handle hard hits when they try and overtake , it's also fun for tripping over monster trucks . It's from somewhere around 1988 .

mardave.jpg

mardave1.jpg

Tamiya electric fwd , LOT of fun and takes a lot of abuse , this is the real early version (1992 I think) with the horizontal spring across the front for front suspension that didn't do much , later versions had independent shocks . It's primarily standard , has gone through more sets of tyres than I could count and just gets thrashed and comes back for more .

tamiya-1.jpg

tamiya1.jpg

That first Kyosho car just looks basic, I barely rmember the second one, but I was just getting into the hobby then, the Mardaves are still available from what I've seen on eBay. That Tamiya is definately an early one, I think mine might be a second gen FWD chassis and it does have upright shocks on it. Looks like the tires, wheels, body, body posts, motor, and MSC were the same as mine (and other than the MSC, the same as M-05 too.) Wouldn't mind getting a M-05 or M-05 Pro, but would probably go with the Fiat 500 Abarth Alsetto Corso body (that would suck to try and fit on a DMV Title) to go with the Mini and my Traxxas Fiesta.

Oh, and thanks on the lights too!

Basic is an understatment for it :D I remember using it on a section of highway we were building (closed to traffic) and the nut holding the butterfly valve on the exhaust vibrated loose , instant full throttlestraight down the highway till it ran out of radio range . Found it further down the road on it's side still screaming and doing donuts spinning on the top edge of the A pillar from the top of one wheeel touching the ground ....

Lol! That's one thing I've discovered that is kinda neat about the Tamiya FWD M-Cars and the Traxxas "1/16" "Rally" platform. If you manage to lay one on it's side and that front tire is still close enough to the ground, turn the front wheels toward the ground and punch it and the little things will right themselves!