Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Charger project!!!

cruz

Marcos, I know that you have found something that works for your top but Testors has a 2 part Vinyl top

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2625

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2626

Wow Clay, thanks, I will buy it and compare it with the one I am doing. Didn't know this thing was out! Don't you just love this forum? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

that is going to look awesome

cant wait to see it finished

the only way ive ever heard before for vinyl roof is to get the really thin toilet paper (swipe a sheet or two from a gasstation) and put that on the roof after you just painted it

then once its in place you paint the paper.

never tried it on a roof but i used it on the front seat of my 40s ford coupe

i wanted it too look like it was torn so i painted a little triangle in brown (hoping to make it look like 50 year old seatfoam) and put a tiny piece of TP on it

then i painted the TP and folded it back so it would look like the seat was ripped.

i was very pleased with that outcome and i do think it would look preety decent as a vinyl top.

very interested to see the progress on this kit though.

Thanks for all the great ideas guys, today I got some progress done on the engine. Installed the gas line, distributor wires and some hoses here and there. Still have a lot to do to finish this thing but all in due time...... :lol:

68Charger-2001-1.jpg

68Charger-2007-1.jpg

68Charger-2004.jpg

The decal on the top of the engine was a pain to put in place, I had to cut it and install it in phases, no way you can get this thing to lay flat on that kind of uneven surface. Other than that, everything else went smoothly. Thanks for looking!!! :lol:

Dang, this is shaping up nicely Marcos. :lol:

The motor looks ready to fire up, just be sure not to redline it for the first 1000 miles, ok... :lol:

Great progress mate.

I have a 69 Charger with just a couple of small details left to add..I'll post some pics in the finished section later...

Just finished installing the vinyl trim. I was kind of afraid that the corners weren't going to match and give me the "V" look I was going for, I think I am happy not to mention lucky!! :D Next I will be placing the ones on the roof, should be easier so I hope to have the same luck there!! :D Just tell me if I am boring you guys with this, I am kinda yawning myself!! :blink:

68Charger-2010-1.jpg

68Charger-2008-1.jpg

68Charger-2011.jpg

It all looks good to me Cruz! Your trim looks very symmetrical from both sides which can be hard at times when hand applying it.

One thing that's nice about the Plastruct styrene is that it's a bit denser than the Evergreen stuff. Meaning if you're trying to bend it around corners and such, it won't snap and break as easily.

It all looks good to me Cruz! Your trim looks very symmetrical from both sides which can be hard at times when hand applying it.

One thing that's nice about the Plastruct styrene is that it's a bit denser than the Evergreen stuff. Meaning if you're trying to bend it around corners and such, it won't snap and break as easily.

Thanks Bill, that's what I found to be true also, as a matter of fact the hobby store had both but I opted for the Plastruct brand. I will also keep you in mind in case of any questions around this build, I still remember your Daytona Charger. As a matter of fact, can you do me a little favor??? Can you please post several pictures of the undercarriage of that model in my thread here? I want to make sure I get most of the chassis detail painting right. Thanks in advance my friend!!!

Thanks for all the great ideas guys, today I got some progress done on the engine. Installed the gas line, distributor wires and some hoses here and there. Still have a lot to do to finish this thing but all in due time...... ;)

68Charger-2001-1.jpg

68Charger-2007-1.jpg

68Charger-2004.jpg

The decal on the top of the engine was a pain to put in place, I had to cut it and install it in phases, no way you can get this thing to lay flat on that kind of uneven surface. Other than that, everything else went smoothly. Thanks for looking!!! :huh:

Man that car is going to be awsome!!! I wish I could build a model car half that good!!!

Engine looks awesome Cruz. What paint did you use for that? I bet you went through a bit of work trying to get that decal on top of the engine to conform to that surface! :lol: It's gonna look awesome when you place it in the engine bay at the end of the build.

Engine looks awesome Cruz. What paint did you use for that? I bet you went through a bit of work trying to get that decal on top of the engine to conform to that surface! :lol: It's gonna look awesome when you place it in the engine bay at the end of the build.
Thanks Jay, I used Chrysler engine blue from the Testors Lacquer system, had to airbrush it, they don't come in a spray can. What I did with the decal on top of the engine was cut it in phases similar to a pie, no way that thing is going on there without a little bit of cheating!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, finally took a bit of time off my busy schedule and decided to paint some details here and there on the Charger. One of the parts that require a little bit of attention is the steering wheel, I took some time off to remove some plastic off the spoke that holds the wheel and decided to Alclad the whole thing since I wanted the spokes to come out chrome.

68Charger-2001.jpg

68Charger-2006.jpg

Chargerproject003.jpg

Chargerproject015.jpg

I mixed 2 different shades of brown that I had in my paint rack and decided to use it for the steering wheel to simulate the color it had in '68. It came out a bit too glossy so once dry, I will dull it a bit more.

These are all the interior parts painted in semi-gloss black. I will also be adding some scratchbuilt carpets.

Chargerproject001.jpg

Chargerproject002.jpg

This is a picture of what the steering wheel is suppose to look like!!

charger1i.jpg

Chargerproject010.jpg

I was not too crazy about the scale look of the stickshift in the kit so I did what I usually do and broke out my needles to simulate the one in the kit. I followed the contours more or less and these are the results. I also detailed the console with some BMF and installed the stickshift.....

Chargerproject016.jpg

Chargerproject017.jpg

Chargerproject013.jpg

Also detailed the pedals w/ some Rub and Buff!!!!.More on this build a little later, hopefully.....

:D WoW Marcos, That bad boy is REALLY lookin good! The spokes on the steering wheel were brushed aluminium and the shifter ball was the same oak-ish color as the steering wheel rim. I've still got pics of my 69 440 R/T 4spd, but I know I'll remember that Monster even when the pictures are long gone!Your build is comin out GREAT! :lol:

:blink: WoW Marcos, That bad boy is REALLY lookin good! The spokes on the steering wheel were brushed aluminium and the shifter ball was the same oak-ish color as the steering wheel rim. I've still got pics of my 69 440 R/T 4spd, but I know I'll remember that Monster even when the pictures are long gone!Your build is comin out GREAT! :lol:
Thanks George, I will see if I can somehow make that chrome look a bit more like brushed aluminum, the ball on the shifter will also be painted later. ;)

Hey Cruz, this build is really getting super-detailed, and showcasing how far your level of expertise has come. So, you'll have it done by Saturday? :unsure: Hey, just bust some critical bones, and you'll have plenty of bench time! That shifter's cool, and it may be the very rare 'blue knob' shift handle option, so you might want to leave it in that color B) See ya.

HEY MARCOS, LOOKING GREAT

QUESTION, THE INTERIOR FLOOR

THAT TEXTURE, DID YOU PRAYED IT WITH THE SAME STUFF

THAT YOU USE FOR THE VINIL TOP OR IT CAME LIKE THAT

BECAUSE I PROPLABLY USE THAT SPRAY TO DO INTERIOR

RUG LOOK IN CASE THE KIT NEEDS IT, OR TO DO

MATTS FOR PROJECTS.......I AM CHECKING THIS BUILD

AND PICKING UP IDEAS WHEN I DO MY BOSS 429 MUSTANG.