Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Plymouth Prowler Issues

I bought the AMT Plymouth Prowler and wouldn't you know that as I am finishing it up I run into issues. It appears that the tires that come with the kit do not fit the back end. I followed the directions exactly and had no issues till I got to this point. It is incredibly frustrating to get this far and have some as major as the wheels not going on stop me from finishing.

post-14887-0-13708300-1432779425_thumb.j

post-14887-0-96684200-1432779427_thumb.j

So I figured that if I took the Dremel tool and cut on the dotted lines below it might just solve my problem?

post-14887-0-80735400-1432779445_thumb.j

I also have some questions about painting. It seems that no matter how long I let the paint dry (almost a month on this one) the littlest thing screws up the paint job and it never seems to dry. I wash my hands real good before handling, but somehow the paint always rubs off as I fiddle with trying to fit the body on.

post-14887-0-29475700-1432779473_thumb.j

post-14887-0-11794500-1432779486_thumb.j

post-14887-0-54594700-1432779492_thumb.j

(the hood looks the worst)

post-14887-0-17619400-1432779505_thumb.j

any ideas that anyone has would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Peter

Peter, you didn't say what kind of paint that you used. I always use lacquer and a month is plenty of time for the paint to "gas out" and for you to handle it.

Sorry I forgot to mention the paint type. i used a rattle can (don't have an airbrush yet). The red is Valspar premium finish gloss classic red and the black is Krylon Colormaster flat black. Both have two coats of gloss clear coat of Krylon on top.

Check the label on those paints, they sound like they are not compatible to use on plastic.

I have a built version of the Revell Prowler, the chassis should end at the fenderwell, looks like the transaxle is too far foward

Edited by 64SS350

Those rear tires are huge. I'd expect you really have to test fit the rear axle for tire fit on this one. I never built this but do have one and stole the tires for a '32 fendered Ford and it has been a constant grinding with the Dremel fitting them under those fenders. I expect you will have to do the same.

The name of this game is "test fit".

Enamels do not dry well in a humid atmoshere. I recommend switching to Testors One Shot or Model Master lacquers or an auotmotive lacquer like Duplicolor or Plasticote. Use the same brand clears.

As for the big cans, I've not had any luck with any brand but Krylon. I've used their primer under all sorts of paint with zero issues.

Sorry I forgot to mention the paint type. i used a rattle can (don't have an airbrush yet). The red is Valspar premium finish gloss classic red and the black is Krylon Colormaster flat black. Both have two coats of gloss clear coat of Krylon on top.

This is where an inexpensive food dehydrator really makes a difference! The relatively low heat of one of those (My Oster dehydrator runs at a constant--I measured that myself with a thermometer!) 125 degrees F, which does NOT damage styrene), and a couple of hours will cure out any enamel paintjob I have ever done since I got the thing. And it wasn't all that expensive--less than $30 at Walmart!

Art

Yep, that bit of the chassis gets in the way.

All the kits AMT produced around the time they did the Prowler have great detail and go together well 9although they cane a fiddle) until you find the flaw that drives you insane.

With the '41 Woody it's the fit of the interior into the body, with the '66 Olds 442 it's the bumpers and with this it's the rear tyres/chassis.

Did you prime and/or undercoat the plastic before you put colour on it?

Edited by zenrat