Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima Super Beetle Cabriolet

Dale W. Verts

Ya'll probably already know this, but I'm still getting back up to speed...

Jost got a Super Beetle Cabriolet in the mail that I bought from China off of eBay. Man, oh man. The kit is by Aoshima and it's a pile as compared to (every) other kit I've had. It might as well be a snap-together kit. In fact, I just checked to make sure it wasn't...

Almost everything here is a facsimile instead of actual parts. Sad. The BODY looks okay- I won't worry about it until I'm ready to mess with it. Nice fat tires (nowhere near stock, but I like 'em FAT). And that's about it.

My wife's dream "fun" car is a Super Beetle convertible. It may be easier to go buy her the real thing than to attempt a scratch-build. Which is exactly what I'll do do some day.

Dale

That's it (except mine's a convertible of course). Thanks (still need to find my camera, hmmm..)!

The first thing I saw was that, er... pan. Or whatever. It was just wrong. Then I realized why. Because it IS. Wrong I mean. Anyway, lesson learned. I will use the body for something.

Anyone ever do a Pro- Street Cabriolet?

Dale

what are the characteristics you are looking for to distinguish a "Super Beetle"? Curved windshield? certain boxy kinda bumpers? rear deck shape? not sure what exactly defines them though I know there are certain things.

heres the rally version I have, has a bunch of extra parts though body etc is probably the same as the Aoshima one you have. this one includes metal parts for the motorize version junk toy.

v1y2.jpg

a look at the box full of parts...none particularly spectacular

9hvs.jpg

Everything you said, plus the deck/hood is a few inches longer than the standard beetle. Also, they came with a McPherson Strut front suspension instead of the link-pin. Made it hard to street-rod one or maybe build a Baja Bug.

My wife likes the Super Beetle. That's what she wants me to build, and darn it- she knows the difference. I'll get it done- I have an Exacto knife. Heck, I have a torch and a hammer, too.

Dale

Who is the manufacturer? I just bought a Chinese kit off of ebay Honda CB900 F in 1/8 scale.

Pleeease don't let it be the same company!!!!!!

joe.

Don't let one kit fool you. This VW is a vintage mold of a motorized toy. Many Aoshima kits are superb...

But I am not aware of any Aoshima kits in 1/8 scale.

Who is the manufacturer? I just bought a Chinese kit off of ebay Honda CB900 F in 1/8 scale.

Pleeease don't let it be the same company!!!!!!

joe.

Would that Chinese company be "Lee"? If so it's even worse, it's a perfectly good Tamiya kit that's been "reverse engineered" so that every bit of Tamiya goodness has been erased and replaced by the mojo of illegal copying.

Aoishima kits are super! Imai is a mixed bag. When Imai went out of business, other companies bought up their molds.

That body is kinda wonky. The windshield looks like a Super, but the front end does not have the telltale curvature at the bottom of the fenders and hood. 71 & 72 Superbeetles (1302) had a flat windshield, just like a standard Beetle. 73-79 Superbeetles (1303) had the curved windshield, which caused the fresh air vents to be moved from the hood, to the front of the windshield.

All Superbeetles have an elongated hood and front fenders that curve under the body. The front valence is rounded and most have vents to accommodate an AC cooler.

The boxy bumpers are shared by all Beetles, regardless. 68-73 had larger bumpers that replaced the old style. 74 and up have even larger bumpers with an impact absorbtion system.

The taillights are also shared by both Beetles. 68-70 had small tombstone shaped taillights, then larger ones for 71-72. 1973 introduced the huge round taillights nicknamed elephant's foot. The rear fenders were also changed to accommodate the big round lights.

Edited by Zarana-X

Would that Chinese company be "Lee"? If so it's even worse, it's a perfectly good Tamiya kit that's been "reverse engineered" so that every bit of Tamiya goodness has been erased and replaced by the mojo of illegal copying.

TaiZhou TongXin Toy Co. The kit is enroute to me now. Should know for sure by Monday.

Joe

I've had some requests for more details so I took some pics- hope they explain why this kit is so bad (in my opinion).

The third and fourth picture is the "before" and "after" of the motor installation. By far the fastest I've ever done. About, oh, maybe two seconds. The body is the best part of the kit, and it still will require a lot of sanding. That part's fine with me.

Dale

post-13207-0-60510300-1393255370_thumb.j

post-13207-0-91845700-1393255391_thumb.j

post-13207-0-40465400-1393255412_thumb.j

post-13207-0-53220900-1393255429_thumb.j

post-13207-0-89509200-1393255447_thumb.j

I've had some requests for more details so I took some pics- hope they explain why this kit is so bad (in my opinion).

The third and fourth picture is the "before" and "after" of the motor installation. By far the fastest I've ever done. About, oh, maybe two seconds. The body is the best part of the kit, and it still will require a lot of sanding. That part's fine with me.

Dale

Hey look at least it's a separate piece! Also it's not sharing the uniform front engine/RWD chassis blank that most of the "Best Car Vintage" kits do. I assume you can feel the sarcasm, but it was a different era. I bought the version of this kit with a roof about 20 years ago because I wanted to build a homage to the one my parents owned, this kit was the only Beetle I could find back then and ironically - considering how much I import directly from Japan these days - really soured me towards import kits for a long time.