Model Cars Magazine Forum

''OLD 16'' 1906 LOCOMOBILE RACER in 1/16 scale

GOOD GOD- I thought it was the real thing!!!!!! from the book-no kidding. then I realized the size of the leaves. that is Exceptional work.

I think I just came to the conclusion that you are a better builder then I. truly the best 1/12 LeMans Bentley I have ever seen.and SPOT ON !

a fellow showed one out here at the NNL 2 or 3 years ago that was superb however it was not as ''correct'' as this one- I will see if I can dig up those images...... INCREDIBLE WORK SKIP!!!!!! BRAVO

Thanks, I just used the book photos as a guide for painting and adding some details like real mesh. No way I'm even close to being as good a builder as you.

Thanks, I just used the book photos as a guide for painting and adding some details like real mesh. No way I'm even close to being as good a builder as you.

The tonneau cover and boot look real. and you say it was built in 1973. is it still around?

The tonneau cover and boot look real. and you say it was built in 1973. is it still around?

Yup, it's in my stereo cabinet. I just took those pictures last summer (BTW, the tonneau is made from a Glad leaf bag, and hasn't survived well -- the dullcote is wearing off and you can see the separate sections of card stock now). This is the only finished kit I still have, though many unbuilt kits await me to to do something. If you haven't built the Bentley, I can't recommend it enough. The current Airfix reissue is exactly the same as the old ones, except for a change in the original registration number now owned by Ralph Lauren – a change dictated by Bentley because one of their executives owns the new number. For more on this, go here (several more pictures of my kit on page 1):

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/large-scale-cars/43479-1-12-airfix-bentley-returns-does-2.html

Edited by sjordan2

Yup, it's in my stereo cabinet. I just took those pictures last summer (BTW, the tonneau is made from a Glad leaf bag, and hasn't survived well -- the dullcote is wearing off and you can see the separate sections of card stock now). This is the only finished kit I still have, though many unbuilt kits await me to to do something. If you haven't built the Bentley, I can't recommend it enough. The current Airfix reissue is exactly the same as the old ones, except for a change in the original registration number now owned by Ralph Lauren – a change dictated by Bentley because one of their executives owns the new number. For more on this, go here (several more pictures of my kit on page 1):

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/large-scale-cars/43479-1-12-airfix-bentley-returns-does-2.html

after looking at the others I still like yours the best- it has that patina only achieved by time. I hear in Britain they still run the xxxx out of these! and show up at the Bentley Drivers club meetings Mud spattered and smoking.

I have an old Airfix in my kit collection-Hmmm.....................

after looking at the others I still like yours the best- it has that patina only achieved by time. I hear in Britain they still run the xxxx out of these! and show up at the Bentley Drivers club meetings Mud spattered and smoking.

I have an old Airfix in my kit collection-Hmmm.....................

That old Airfix kit has been through lots of stuff. It started out as motorized kit with the motor inside the engine block, with gears attached to the flywheel, and the batteries under the rear seat (the parts for all that are still in the kit), then the motor became a mail-order item, later dropped altogether. It's really a very simplified kit, offering untold opportunities for anal detailers. I spent about a week on it, mostly waiting for paint to dry. The only real complaints I've heard are that the Bentley badge is placed too high on the radiator shell, and like all antique car kits, the wire wheel spokes are a bit too thick -- but I find them better than most. I did nothing to my wheels, but I'm using needle files to thin out the outer spoke halves on my 1/16 Jaguar SS 100. I should have done that on the Bentley.

I think you could add more detail than I did (I didn't add the mesh stone guards over the carburetors next to the supercharger, or around the gas tank), without going freaking batty like John Teresi did on his kit. Just be sure to add typically British oil leaks on the oil pan like I did.

Edited by sjordan2

Back to the Locomobile and a question I've been trying to figure out but can't.

What was the idea with chain drive?

I mean, think about it. The engine spins the driveshaft... that in turn spins the axle that the front sprockets are connected to... that spin the real wheels via chains and rear wheel sprockets.

Why didn't they just move the shaft that spins the chain sprockets back and connect the rear wheels directly? What purpose did adding the chains into the equation serve? Did it have something to do with lack of a differential and the chains somehow flexed enough to allow a car to make a turn without the rear wheel skipping? I don't see how that could be the case.

I know there has to be some mechanical reason, but I can't figure out the concept of chain drive. What am I missing?

I mean, think about it. The engine spins the driveshaft... that in turn spins the axle that the front sprockets are connected to... that spin the real wheels via chains and rear wheel sprockets.

Why didn't they just move the shaft that spins the chain sprockets back and connect the rear wheels directly? What purpose did adding the chains into the equation serve? Did it have something to do with lack of a differential and the chains somehow flexed enough to allow a car to make a turn without the rear wheel skipping? I don't see how that could be the case.

I know there has to be some mechanical reason, but I can't figure out the concept of chain drive. What am I missing?

I would assume it has to do with the tradition of bicycles at the time, and the fact that the original Benz Motorwagen used it. So subsequent manufacturers were just vamping on what went before.

Edited by sjordan2

Interesting Question-you really did not see chain drive after about 1914- except on big Trucks.

I think that the universal joint had not been perfected yet and differentials were not yet of the hypoid type.[high speed] and so I would say because of the tremendous torque that the engine put out-16+liters- the engineers were afraid of a driveline failure.also a dead axle would be easier to straighten than a live axle in the event of an accident.

prior to 1908 it was ''bigger is better'' and so 1908 was the last year for these huge displacement monsters. by 1910 the Vanderbilt had mostly ''stock '' cars running -still fast but of lesser displacement.and chain drive was almost gone by then.

now that you spurred my interest about this I will have to find out- Ill bet David Greenlees knows! Hes a Locomobile Man.

Edited by f1ford48

well it looks like the chain drive offered more vertical axle movement- was simpler in design than a rigid driveshaft . and the car would have less unsprung weight at the rear wheels affording the suspension to react to the bumps more efficiently. [ I assumed and was maybe partially correct] im sure there are more reasons- like the ratios could be changed quicker via sprockets.

the cars that Locomobile offered to the general public had differentials at this point.

the Honda 600 of the mid 60s was the last production car to run chain drive-Thats new to me-

and of course there was Frazer Nash.

Edited by f1ford48

well it looks like the chain drive offered more vertical axle movement- was simpler in design than a rigid driveshaft . and the car would have less unsprung weight at the rear wheels affording the suspension to react to the bumps more efficiently.

Yet with all of these benefits, it was phased out. :D

ok, dumb question...

When a car takes a corner, the outer rear wheel has to travel farther (and rotate faster) then the inner. The sharper the turn radius, the more pronounced the difference has to be (simple geometry). If both rear wheels were driven by identical chains, obviously this flexibility in wheel rotation speed was impossible.

So how did these cars react in a tight corner? One of the rear wheels must have hopped or skidded or something. Not exactly confidence-inspiring handling characteristics.

Yea- and dont forget the messy constant oiling and sprocket wear and slack adjustments!

And getting your pant leg caught in the chain! :lol:

But seriously, folks... I imagine those drive chains had a very short life, with all the grit and dirt and stuff that was constantly getting in them.

ok, dumb question...

When a car takes a corner, the outer rear wheel has to travel farther (and rotate faster) then the inner. The sharper the turn radius, the more pronounced the difference has to be (simple geometry). If both rear wheels were driven by identical chains, obviously this flexibility in wheel rotation speed was impossible.

So how did these cars react in a tight corner? One of the rear wheels must have hopped or skidded or something. Not exactly confidence-inspiring handling characteristics.

the gearboxes [or transmissions] had differentials also -like a 3rd member on a normal car.

But seriously, folks... I imagine those drive chains had a very short life, with all the grit and dirt and stuff that was constantly getting in them.

I cant stand it when that happens!!!!

again check out- if you have not yet-youtube-----''locomobile old 16 at old car festival'' at the beginning observe as Malcolm starts the car..he cranks the lever just enough to charge the cylinders with fuel then walks back to the dash and turns the battery on.-the car starts from the explosion in the cylinders by itself- an old timers trick from days long gone.....

this was the last time that OLD 16 Was run- it is on static display only as they found a crack in one of the heads.

again check out- if you have not yet-youtube-----''locomobile old 16 at old car festival'' at the beginning observe as Malcolm starts the car..he cranks the lever just enough to charge the cylinders with fuel then walks back to the dash and turns the battery on.-the car starts from the explosion in the cylinders by itself- an old timers trick from days long gone.....

this was the last time that OLD 16 Was run- it is on static display only as they found a crack in one of the heads.

I have not yet, but will watch the video, but thats wild about how you said he started Ole 16, I remember my Grandfather, he stood well over 6', bending his tall frame over, grab the start crank, give it a couple of turns, and just as you pointed out, flip the switch on the mag and the ole Ford Truck would spit to life, ever single time. He would stand and listen to that motor roar to life and could @ a moments notice tell you if the timing was off, if the carb was loading too much fuel or if a plug was fouled. Now days we hook'em to a computer! :blink:

Rick B)

The crazy practice of drag racers driving 5:1+, locked-rear cars on the street (when I was a teen) was such a spectacle. They hopped and chattered sideways. But they were 'BAD'... :blink:

I think part of your answer is that these brass cars slid sideways a bit or a lot (depending on speed) due to the miniscule tire contact patches and rock-like compounds. Lot of old paintings and film show the tails stepping out.

dont forget -they were on dirt roads .........

The crazy practice of drag racers driving 5:1+, locked-rear cars on the street (when I was a teen) was such a spectacle. They hopped and chattered sideways. But they were 'BAD'... :blink:

I think part of your answer is that these brass cars slid sideways a bit or a lot (depending on speed) due to the miniscule tire contact patches and rock-like compounds. Lot of old paintings and film show the tails stepping out.

For you Frank............. :lol:

Thanx Rick -the painting should be on the boxtop of ''POCHER 1/8 Scale'' OLD 16'' Locomobile Racer'' would that not be cool?-I'll take 3!!!

love the grandstand action shot too......

Rick- I saw some amazing MERCER footage last night on youtube-so check it out- one is the Peter Helck car in action''mercer therapy''....

''springtime mercer ride''-thats my white 1/8 model-my favorite your car is on ''starting a 1911 mercer at pumpkin run'' and a MERCER Reunion on ''mercer mystique'' it doesnt take but a few minuites to check out- now I want a real one HA!!!

The painting is now my screen saver. Why would one want to say such things as a 1/8th Pocher Mercer................ :(

Rumors flew around wildly about what Pocher was going to do next, but I knew a Hobby Shop owner (Bamberg FRG), who was in w/Pocher and he always got the news from them 1st hand, so one day I walk in and spie the large box w/the Orange Rolls on it, he is smiling from ear to ear, says, nobody has that, I am the 1st to get one. Opened the box, was loaded into my car as I left. Now, he always let me know what was up w/Pocher and here he was with that big grin from ear to ear..........Ok, whats up.......Pocher is tooling for a new kit........really, what is it.........his reply, American! From that point rumors flew as to what was to come, but alas, a Fire would stop that from happening and then a few years later, a death would spell the end to the company ever producing a new kit, now don't get me wrong, the factory would churn out kits for awhile, but they never did come out w/that American whatever? I was told once a Dusey, a Caddy and you got it a Mercer! But again you know how it goes, everyone has the poop........... :o

Oh that Hobby Shop owner, seems he was involved somehow w/the guy that started Pocher, WWII Germany/Italy......really never knew the story behind it........but the fella was a honest Joe and I believed him when He said he was best friends w/the then owner of Pocher.....sometimes in fliers, that was his daughters in the photo's assembling Pochers.

Rick

Edited by Pocherphile

That ITALA was never really a Pocher mark kit, but was designed by him and marketed thru another mfger, this would launch him into the world of making kits. I saw one with Fiat parts, resin re-pops and a few of the orignal parts sell @ a swap meet f/$4000.00, was a pile of parts in a box.......... :blink: .

I have only seen one other in EU and that was complete in a case.................many many years ago.

Rick B)