Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamels WIN!

Virgil, I have mixed the pearls in Future and then sprayed it on the kit. It works great in either Future or another clear. I've also expiermented with it by mixing it in the color but haven't had to good a result doing it that way. I also think that if you brushed it on it would just streak and look terrible. :) Dan

Edited by 59 Impala

Dan, yes, you are right and it's also what Donn warned me about, and that is NOT to mix it directly into the color because the color will swallow it up. It's best to apply with the clear, which is what I do, and it's the results you want. Glad to hear you re getting good results with Future. Best, DC

• 3 months later...

Despite the valiant efforts of Dr. Cranky and a few others, this thread still contains way too many words and too few pictures. I want to see some shiny colourful stuff, please.

Edited by Junkman

I've used Donn's method and had great results. Here's a pic of my results. I used the aluminum metalizer for the primer and Valspar spray paint (decanted). I didn't clear coat or color sand.

DSCF0024-1.jpg

Chris

PS I also won a small contest with this build thanks to Donn.

No ! I use the metallizer under the metallics and pearls only . Standard colors are shot directly onto the bare plastic . The metallizer acts as a reflector for the metallics and pearls which isn't necessary when using your basic colors .

Obviously it's hard to argue with your results, but I'm curious why you spray solid colors directly onto bare plastic instead of using a primer. If nothing else, primers have helped me spot body flaws I might've otherwise missed.