Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamels WIN!

Funny all the varying respsonses. I used cheap lacquer thinner for all my paint jobs. I guess I should take pictures of the paintjobs Ive done over the last 3 decades. After all the color coats were applied, I thinned the paint, something like 75% thinner, 25% paint, blew it on, and I mean blew it on at 35 psi, and got super gloss. Not having a booth, the pressure seemed to blow any ###### out of the paint. Just my 2 cents.......

Yea, Doc, all I used for years was plain old Testors. Funny thing for me was painting without a booth, that high pressure seemed to blow bugs and ###### out of the paint. Ill take some pics and post em up. I have a 23 T done in Testors Jade green that came out gorgeous. I put it back in the box when the the lacquer putty ( not 2 part ) started shrinking.

Black paint job alert! I finally got my Chevelle in black, EXCEPT I made a dumb mistake and used Semi Gloss Black for the base instead of the regular Gloss Black. Well, I've learned to embrace happy accidents, and come to find out the Semi Gloss Black dried over night and I was able to sand and polish it to a smooth black coat, and then shot about 5-8 coats of clear, a little on the thin side . . . now I am looking at an onyx mirror on a model.

Of course, I am waiting for the whole thing to gas out and depending on how it finishes, I might not have to buff and polish at all. Stay tuned in for more.

LOL! Dan, you are in for a real treat. You will probably spend the whole day watching over 5 hours of great tips and techniques. Next thing you know you'll be painting 20 bodies back to back! Make sure your painting mask has new cartridges in it! Have fun!

Here are some of my oldies, all done in enamel. Theyve been bouncing around in boxes for years, and I notice in the pics I have a problem with sanding scratches. No lear or polishing on any of them, just right out of the airbrush. The green Tee did have some buffing with a flannel rag, but thats all. Sorry about the poor pics, that is a skill I still have to master!

DSCN1110-vi.jpgDSCN1111-vi.jpgDSCN1101-vi.jpg

And a few more. The AMX was done in Testors light purple with sapphire blue fogging in around 1974 or so. The yellow and black 29 was done in my cold garage at night, at 35 psi, for the final coat I think I thinnned it something like 80% thinner 20% paint.

DSCN1112-vi.jpgDSCN1106-vi.jpgDSCN1108-vi.jpg

George, those pesky dust particles can be sanded off if you let the coat dry. I think this looks wonderful for your first try. One of the most important things (one of the basic four Ps, as Donn class them) is preparation and controlling the environment. I usually will mist water on the floor and all around before I shoot the paint. Try not to wear sweaters or clothing that is heavy, although you still want to protect your skin. Long sleeve t-shirts are perfect, etc . . . also, make sure the jars you are mixing your paint in are clean and dust free, etc . . . I never use the jars where I am mixing pearls and or flakes into the clear with the jars where I mix the regular colors.

George ,

Start at 4000 under cold running water , sanding lightly until the debris in the paint disappears . If 4000 doesn't do it , step down to 3200 , work your way back up to 12000 .

You need to lightly sand overall on the body , this way your color will all be uniform to match the roof . After all debris is removed and the finish is smooth , wash it off , blow dry the body with compressed air , then begin applying your clear coats . After flashout , follow the steps in the DVD for polishing out .

Lmao !

So that's why my ears were burning ! I was getting yelled at .... Again !

I have far more control over that blade then I do a pair of tweezers .If the blade slips a tiny thin mark , tweezers slip , big gouge in the paint !

Give it a few days , let it flashout , patience is the key . Word of caution ... Anytime you are shooting with pearls or metallics , always keep full pressure during your passes . Otherwise the airbrush can spit and leave tiny blobs of color .

As time goes on , you'll find yourself painting more than a few at a time . It is addicting , just ask Virgil ! By doing so , you put yourself way ahead of the game and you can build at your leisure while the bodies flashout .

Boyds Dusty Rose Pearl on the body ? Nice work !

I've had Donn's painting DVD since last Friday but I've only had a chance to watch it once. I want to watch the paint application a couple of more times before I try it. I do have two bodies prepped to a nice shiny plastic with my polishing kit. I hope to get them both painted by Sunday. Thanks again Donn!

As time goes on , you'll find yourself painting more than a few at a time . It is addicting , just ask Virgil ! By doing so , you put yourself way ahead of the game and you can build at your leisure while the bodies flashout .

Donn, you'll be happy to know that your pictures and advice in this thread were the impetus behind my purchase of your Airbrushing DVD this afternoon. I'm hoping to get to the level described above. Do you think I'll have the DVD by Christmas?

Monty, don't do what I did which was camp out next to my mail box until it arrived (it took but a few days). You will make your neighbors think you are a bit strange. :lol:

They'd have every right to think I was strange if I camped out next to your mail box. <_<