Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamels WIN!

I do know for a fact that Krylon just sits there and laughs at the brake fluid , thus my word of caution ! Far be it for me to lead you down a path of sin and degradation , that just ain't gonna happen !!!!!

It shrugs off Purple Power, Super Clean, and Bleach White as well. Krylon REALLY likes to stay put once it is applied.

Any particular brand of thinner?

I use the Sunny Side brand , others have had success using Walmart's , Home Depot , etc . As long as it's the cheap stuff you won't have a problem .

I will restate this , do not use any automotive related laquer thinners , you'll end up with a plastic puddle , regardless of it's " heat " factor !

Donn, just as you said in the vid: the fat fendered vehicles need to have paint in the seams . . . they paint pulled away and I ended up with light bands on the inside edges. The other thing that happened was that the flakes migrated toward the edges . . . the problem is I put too much paint on too fast. My fault.

It's a learning process like everything else. Which is why I am viewing your vids for the 14th time! LOL!

And you know, I only dropped the bodies into the Purple Bath because I had done a wonderful job of smoothing those puppies . . . normally I just get two new bodies and keep going, but I am running low on the 41 Willyses. Not throwing the out and not STOMPING on them either! ;):D

Here's a little vid I made that shows a variation of Donn's pipe nipple stand and some of the bodies that I have painted and are waiting the start of the building season! And other goodies too, including a cheers to all for a happy Holiday Season.

Enjoy:

And you know, I only dropped the bodies into the Purple Bath because I had done a wonderful job of smoothing those puppies . . . normally I just get two new bodies and keep going, but I am running low on the 41 Willyses. Not

throwing the out and not STOMPING on them

either! ;):D

Yep !

Kinda figured that's what it was ! You actually need to use an X pattern along with the normal horizontal and vertical sweeps to get an overall coverage .

Stepping on a Willys , Doc ? Sacrilege to the 10th degree , Virg , the model gods will have you spinning over a slow burning fire for that ! Lol !

Another nice thing about the enamels is that they strip off really easy . Into the pond while it's still soft and it's off in a matter of minutes . A good scrub up , wash down , and you're back to painting in no time at all .

Nah, I would never crush a model. I might feed it to the dogs! LOL!

I hope to be back in business tomorrow.

Tim, for a minute i thought I was looking at the fan on your ceiling, and then I realized it WAS your ceiling fan reflected off a mirror shine! Nice job.

There are some beautiful paint being splashed around in here!!! I have had an AB for a year now and am too scared to take the dive I guess. With the talk about safety.... where are you guys painting? Outside? In the cold? I see Virgil lives in FL which is nice just about all year round so painting outside wouldn't be a problem. Lonewolf however in PA, I know its cold up there!! For me in MD it gets cold and we have a lot of humidity throughout the warmer months. I've gotten pretty good at handling the spray cans regardless of outside conditions. I don't have an indoor paint booth and really don't want to put one in on account of safety reasons and I have three kids. Any thoughts or feedback?

Edited by JustBill

Bill, I paint in the garage with the door open and a couple of fans running. When it's nice outside, I paint outside. One day I would love to have a walk-in paintbooth and one of those space age suits to paint in. Right now I wear pants, long sleeves, latex gloves, a beanie, and the best mask I can afford. Safety comes first!

Donn, you'll be happy to know that both 41 Willys came out of the Purple Bath like new. I used a toothbrush to remove the residue, resanded and smoothed and I am back in business. Today I should shoot some more paint.

Did I tell you I've run into town for paint like 3 times this week? I wished Testors would put out a larger quantity bottle, like 2 ounces would be so perfect.

Bill ,

You just have to take the plunge ! Prep in the winter , get a bunch of kits ready , paint in the spring and early fall when humidity is low . In the summer , pay attention to the weather report , low humidity coming on , get out there and paint !

As for safety , I raised three daughters , no adverse effects on them . All three are crazy but they came out of the womb that way , just like their daddy !

Set up a booth in the garage , use it when the temperature is ideal for painting. , 68 to 72 degrees , low humidity . I installed a heater in the shop , now I can paint year ' round .

Once you start with the airbrush , you'll fall in love with it ! You just have to take that first step !

Yep !

Kinda figured that's what it was ! You actually need to use an X pattern along with the normal horizontal and vertical sweeps to get an overall coverage .

Stepping on a Willys , Doc ? Sacrilege to the 10th degree , Virg , the model gods will have you spinning over a slow burning fire for that ! Lol !

Another nice thing about the enamels is that they strip off really easy . Into the pond while it's still soft and it's off in a matter of minutes . A good scrub up , wash down , and you're back to painting in no time at all .

Donn.....would primer solve this???

Mike, I think a way to resolve it (or at least it is how I'm going to try to resolve it) is to thin down the paint and then spray into those tight areas a couple of times first and then start the general mist coats . . . candies work in this way. I think the enamel paints tend to have the consistency of candies, and I should have known better, but hey, a dip in the Purple Bath over night and the bodies are like brand new.

No , Mike , it wouldn't .

It simply boils down to a coverage scenario . Misting light coats into the tight areas first will solve the problem . If you don't , those areas will be lighter , any attempt to try to " catch" them up with the rest of the finish will cause these areas to pull and trap the metallics and pearls .

When this occurs , you have a buildup which forms a heavy band that sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb . What I usually do to avoid this is simply shoot the base color into the recessed areas and then let it sit for a day or two . Once it's flashed , I continue with the paint job like I normally do .

The Willys are a bit tricky , once you've painted a few , it gets easier , you learn that you have to do almost a 360 degree sweep from every which way to make them look just right . It's definitely not your average horizontal / vertical airbrush approach .

As many of these that I've painted , I still screw one up on occasion . Like Virgil , I'll be sure to throw one or two into the brake pond while learning how to apply the Pearl X on them . Like I always say , it's a continuing educational process , one that I have never lost my love or curiousity for !