Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamels WIN!

Oh, one more thing, when you sit down to watch the DVD, I recommend some popcorn, a nice soft drink, and a comfy chair. You are in for a real treat.

After say, the 3rd viewing, you might want to do what I did, which was get my little workbench notebook and take notes too! Because the ideas are going to start flying!

I have been reading this string with some detachment because i usually do lacquers. However, with the release of the Meyer's Manx imminent, i have purchased Testor's Green Metalflake in the square 1/4 ounce bottles. Do the tips in this topic apply to that paint?

thanks,

joe.

Thanks Donn!

Also, Dr Cranky......after I started watching that last video I thought you were gonna show everyone how to properly clean that airbrush. I remember I was always trying to find something like that when I got started. If you haven't already, you might throw one together. I'm sure there are quite a few out there that would love to watch it.

Great thread guys!

Hey Gang,

This has by far been my favorite topic on the forum to date, I think I like the painting and the end results as my favorite part of the build, although I have so much to learn. I hope Santa brings Donn's videos, I left Santa notes everywhere I could think of!!

Two quick questions.......when you are just doing one car at a time, what do you do with the airbrush when you are waiting for the coats to flash a little bit? I don't want to keep emptying and spraying the cleaner, then putting in paint over and over, any suggestions? (I have the same Iwata as the good Doctor, so detaching a bottle is not an option.)

Also, still wanting some more advice on the acrylics I bought, (Testors) I know Cranky uses a lot of acrylics, any tips for thinning, etc.? I just hate to waste the paint, won't buy more, just use the ones I have.

Hurry up Santa!!!! I want my videos!!

Thanks. Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

I have been reading this string with some detachment because i usually do lacquers. However, with the release of the Meyer's Manx imminent, i have purchased Testor's Green Metalflake in the square 1/4 ounce bottles. Do the tips in this topic apply to that paint?

thanks,

joe.

Testor's green metallic works. This was my first try. The bug was painted directly on the styrene and left to dry. The Merc was painted with primer and lacquers, sanded, and polished.

pO9XD.jpg

End score: 0 minutes for the Beetle, 3 Hours for the Merc. I'm sold.

Edited by rhs856

Donn, the How To Airbrush DVD I ordered from you arrived yesterday. Thanks! As you said, it's a whole different technique than the magazine experts have been preaching, but I think I'm going to like it.better

Any chance I can talk you into a brief, written tutorial on how to do two-tones with enamels? I'd be specifically interested in your thoughts on the correct amount of drying time before applying the second color, which masking tape works best, preventing ridge build-up along the edge of the tape, and anything else you'd think would be pertinent.

Monty ,

With all that's going on right now , maybe after the New Year . As to the flashout time , there really isn't a timetable . Reason being , temperature and humidity play a large part during the paint process which in turn affects flashout .

My shop is kept at 68 degrees when I'm airbrushing , this way , I have the same results on a constant basis , in other words , very few surprises ! I can depend on a three day window for flashout , then it's onward for clearing , polishing , etc . Temperature control is an integral part of controlling your paint environment .

Hey Don,

You ever experiment with changes in humidity? Spring and fall here are fine for any type of paint, yet summer was reserved for enamel with thinner only. After I switched to a medium drying cheapo laquer thinner, my enamels and Tamiya acrylics spray just fine now in 5% humidity. MM Acryl, and Lifecolor acryl, are still a no go in summer.

When I lived in the midwest, summer was "building time" as the humidity was so great I've had enamel spray can paint bead up and bounce off a body. In my shop, in the basement, with a dehumidifier.

No fun.

G

Mike ,

Wait for the DVD , you'll see what happens in between coats , you keep on misting it on ! Lol !

G

Ayup ! Me and Lady Trial & Error were bed buddies for too many years not to know about 'Ol Humidity . I always preach , paint early spring , prep in summer , paint early fall , build in the winter !

Two things I have to get....New airbrush...I checked the ones out at hobby lobby and with a 40% coupon I am getting a iwata neo gravity fed gun. Also I have to get that Dvd, to bad my wife has already got all she is going to get me for christmas.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic topic, I have Don's dvds and they rule, hands down, no doubt about it. I know some say with enamel you don't have to polish and wax but I know Don does this with Novus and the Car Treatment Wax. I live in Ontario Canada and have searched high and low for these products and forget it, lost cause. So, is there not any other products that can be located in the average car store like Canadian Tire, Parts Source whatever that you can use to polish and wax without hurting the enamel paint finish?

There probably is a similar product with a different name available in our neck of the woods, Michael. Try a Napa store, or other auto shops. CTC (which also owns Parts Source) doesn't have the same selections, but their name brands are probably similar. It may take some experimenting. Name brands, like Maguiar's, Turtle Wax and such would be a good place to start.

Ok, just read all 216 (ish) posts and WOW. Am I excited about getting my airbrush! I can't wait till I get a few more bucks and will get Don's DVD's. He really seems to not only know his stuff but also GENUINELY care about what he does and how he teaches it. You can't ask for much more than that. I'm ready to start NOW, just need to wait a bit more. Hell you'd think at 34 patients would come easier. LOL