Model Cars Magazine Forum

That is very cool. I'd send photos into the show website.

I just started watching this season and it's interesting how they retired their original Mercedes Sprinter van and now the show is pretty much an hour long commercial for the new Ford Transit van.

One of the few vehicles I've seen on a reality TV show I'd actuallly like to own. Love it.

hey chuck just shouting out to you as a about to be "2nd time" Dad in October I really don't agree to your avatar...... one should never "punch" a Baby As i'm a little opposed/ offended by it just figured i'd let you know before someone else pays more attention to the avatar then I do And takes more offence..... just letting you know (sorry i'm a parent) I do however when i see how some other peoples children behave (mostly due to poor parenting) i do agree with the statement from a movie(forget which one) "I will hit a child" I would never do so but seeing the way some peoples kids act in public you think that in your mind...... :huh:

Thanks for all the great replies. This build would have to be one of my favourite ones that I have done.

There was a comment made that (not sure who it was now) that Mike and Frank drove a Mercedes Sprinter van. True BUT Mike has this VW as his ride and its usually in the background shot at the LeClaire shop. He has been seen driving it in a couple of episodes, particularly when Frank was going to race him with the Fairlane that they bought.

Australia must be far behind in this series as we are yet to see Mike and Frank driving a Ford Transit???

As for the neon sign and its lack of damaged neons, was removed very carefully, there are NO tubes on the reverse side!! Ha Ha

No seriously, thanks for all the comments and keep looking as I put more pics up of my builds.

There was a comment made that (not sure who it was now) that Mike and Frank drove a Mercedes Sprinter van. True BUT Mike has this VW as his ride and its usually in the background shot at the LeClaire shop. He has been seen driving it in a couple of episodes, particularly when Frank was going to race him with the Fairlane that they bought.

Australia must be far behind in this series as we are yet to see Mike and Frank driving a Ford Transit???

You are correct, they did have a Mercedes Sprinter van AND Mike has your VW that is seen in many episodes. The Ford Transit is new this season, accompanied by several ads throughout the show. Actually pretty good marketing by Ford.

Does anybody market a Transit kit?

I don't think so. It would be cool to have a Mercedes / Dodge Sprinter, Transit and Transit Connect as kits or diecast. I remember a while back someone in Europe said there was a toy of the Sprinter that was close enuf for 1/24. Diecast would be the most likely for these subjects.

I don't think so. It would be cool to have a Mercedes / Dodge Sprinter, Transit and Transit Connect as kits or diecast. I remember a while back someone in Europe said there was a toy of the Sprinter that was close enuf for 1/24. Diecast would be the most likely for these subjects.

Pretty much what I thought, but I figured I'd float a query.

T'anks, Tom.

Can't stand the show, Really, Really Love your VW Pickup. Just the right amount of Stock and tasteful Modifications to make it believeable.

Incidentally the reason that the VW Single and Double Cab pickups are so rare here in the U.S. Is that the Detroit Big Three felt threatened over the sales of "the Peoples Car". When VW started importing the then cheap Type II pickups cutting into domestic truck sales Detroit lobbied and got a signicant tariff applied to all import pickups.

No! No! Time for a little history. Detroit did not lobby for the tariff. The tariff came about because parties in Europe were upset with the price of cheap chickens coming over from the United States. So they started imposing a tariff on chickens brought in from the States. The Johnson administration counter by putting a tariff on several things brought in from overseas. One of the things was commercial trucks. That is part of the reason when Japanese started bring pickup trucks into this country, they came with the box separate, to be bolted on here. This tariff is still in affect. A couple of years ago when Ford started bring in their new Transit commercial van built in Turkey, they sent them here with extra bench seats, so they could be classified as a passenger vehicle. They seats were removed when the truck hit our shores, and the seats ground up. This is still known as the Johnson Chicken Tax. It effects more than just commercial vehicles. I can't remember what else. But there is plenty of info on the web and elsewhere about this crazy tariff.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

A couple of years ago when Ford started bring in their new Transit commercial van built in Turkey, they sent them here with extra bench seats, so they could be classified as a passenger vehicle. They seats were removed when the truck hit our shores, and the seats ground up.

True. They also had side glass panels on them that got replaced with solid ones once here too. Now the funny thing... everyone has been up in arms waiting for vehicles from China and India... and one from Turkey snuck in and nobody noticed? It's on the window sticker and all, but I read new car reviews that didn't even mention it! I thought it would be big news.

As far as from the Turkish side, I lived in Turkey in 1967 when they manufactured their very first car, the Anadol. That was a big deal to them back then. And I'm sure they're very proud to be exporting trucks to America!