Model Cars Magazine Forum

In Search Of: 1/24 Maserati Bora. Update-Got 2 of them!

[Vinnie Barbarino voice ON] I'm so confused![Vinnie Barbarino voice OFF]

I bought a a builtup Bora on ebay a while back. It showed up and appears to be 1/28. It's a motorized kit. I believe it was made by Edai (it's at my house, 200 miles away). I really want 1/24 or 1/25. I saw a Crown kit, but the box art is a painting. I don't like gambling. There's a Bora on ebay right now made by MPC. The pics appear to be a different molding than Edai. Is it? The front bumpers and louvers/vents at the rear appear different.

[Vinnie Barbarino voice ON] I'm so confused![Vinnie Barbarino voice OFF]

I bought a a builtup Bora on ebay a while back. It showed up and appears to be 1/28. It's a motorized kit. I believe it was made by Edai (it's at my house, 200 miles away). I really want 1/24 or 1/25. I saw a Crown kit, but the box art is a painting. I don't like gambling. There's a Bora on ebay right now made by MPC. The pics appear to be a different molding than Edai. Is it? The front bumpers and louvers/vents at the rear appear different.

I have an MPC Bora; I don't know it's exact origin, but it's a decent enough kit in the correct 1/24 scale. IIRC Revell's Bora is also a decent kit, perhaps it's full detail.

Bob-

I'm just going on memory, since I can't compare my Edai glue bomb to the Ebay MPC pics. Is the MPC kit motorized?

I saw a pair of Revell Boras on ebay not too long ago, but they appeared to be Edai reissues. It looked like the same chassis with a battery compartment.

Bob-

I'm just going on memory, since I can't compare my Edai glue bomb to the Ebay MPC pics. Is the MPC kit motorized?

I saw a pair of Revell Boras on ebay not too long ago, but they appeared to be Edai reissues. It looked like the same chassis with a battery compartment.

Perhaps the one on Ebay is in the wrong box? The MPC kit is not motorized, mine is molded in red w/black interior and chassis. It may have been motorized in it's original Japanese issue; but for MPC there's a simple flat chassis w/no battery box. There's a slot above the right rear axle locator that would be a logical place for a gear, but otherwise they've hid any indication of an electric motor. The steering mechanism has front and rear tierods for strength. It's in proper 1/24 scale; 1/28 would be a very small model. The body engraving is nice and crisp on the MPC kit, the interior compartment doesn't look compromised either, though the area over the engine is has fairly simple engraving. The wheel centers are a prone to a central/rounded sink mark, not a crisp convex cone w/central point like the 1:1 has. I'm going to use Maisto Maserati Trofeo wheels which look great on it w/their 5 spoke "trident logo" design. Otherwise it'll be built in a stock color scheme w/ BMF or metalizer stainless roof.

I just found the one on Feebay; it looks just like my MPC kit. I bought mine from the 'bay a few years back on the advice of respected builder who recommended the MPC kit as a very good rendition of a Bora, and they don't sell for all that much $$ so they're a relative bargain.

Hey I'm at a friend's house and I can get on Ebay again. I believe I found a built up MPC Bora. Check it out- Item # 170092853332

Anyone need a Corvette Indy, Porsche 935, or Monogram Testarossa???

Ya just gotta love sellers who don't know what they've got 8)

I figured the unbuilt kit on ebay would be too expensive. I logged in to ebay and saw it only had a few minutes left, so I watched it. The price was still low, so I sniped it for 37 bucks. Not too bad, IMHO.

8dea_12.JPG

I also got the "junkyard" car.

5c5d_1.JPG

Cool!

BTW can anyone identify the manufacturer of the 935?