Model Cars Magazine Forum

My '86 Ranger is finally getting worked on

LDO

It has been in a shop for ages, but now it's "under the knife". It's a Supercab, which was only offered with a short bed. I found a donor first generation long bed, and the the frames both got cut and are being grafted together. The first step in a long journey. It won't be anything crazy, just a really nice street machine that has a 7ft bed.

post-636-0-21636700-1384665320_thumb.jpe

post-636-0-06563700-1384665344_thumb.jpe

Still at the same shop. I know it took forever. What really drove me nuts was the fact that the guy does such good work. I called every street rod shop in central Texas and nobody wanted to touch a 1986 pickup. I guess it just didn't fit their image. (Business must be great if they can turn away money). I had seen a few trucks modified by individuals, but they looked like garbage.

Yes. I have an '89 Mustang 5.0 donor car. It's an unfinished project with no title.

I would love to have a 4.6 4-cam engine, but they are just so wide. There are a few 4.6 Rangers out there, but none have retained accesories. I'd like to figure out a way to make that happen. Possibly a Toyota or fabricated front frame clip, with a couple of other space-saving ideas.

Yes. I have an '89 Mustang 5.0 donor car. It's an unfinished project with no title.

I would love to have a 4.6 4-cam engine, but they are just so wide. There are a few 4.6 Rangers out there, but none have retained accesories. I'd like to figure out a way to make that happen. Possibly a Toyota or fabricated front frame clip, with a couple of other space-saving ideas.

PM Sent

Edited by Skydime

... I was thinking single cab short bed (short wheelbase and lighter weight) with an aluminum block engine, C5 Corvette transaxle, and a chassis built for handling would be a wild ride...

Oh yes indeed...

Many many years ago, I started a chopped '53 Ford pickup build for a client. We had a burned Pantera as the donor for suspension and drivetrain, the engine going in the bed. Client ran out of $$, have no clue where it is now.

I got your PM, but it says it's deleted, so I can't respond. I'll look into what you mentioned.

Oops. Musta got flushed with everything else. Sorry man. You can always click the avatar and then hit send message if you need. But I'm tellin' ya, he's the man that can tell you all about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I found a different source for the drivetrain swap: a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. One-stop shopping. It has everything needed; pushrod 5.0, trans, and 8.8" rear axle. As a bonus, I get to pick through the rest of it. I do like that power driver's seat. It has an aftermarket stereo that will go into the Ranger, too.

00000_5duIGs0joP3_600x450-vi.jpg

a lot of people do v8 swaps into Rangers out here. They move the firewall back. The extended cab essentially turns into a single cap, but with the same wheelbase.

• 2 months later...

Another small step. I pulled the engine and trans today. My giant hoist is awesome. It let me remove them as a unit and cleared the fenders. no way a standard hoist could do that.

Not awesome: the guy who was going to buy the engine and trans flaked out on me. He canceled when he was already an hour late. If the parts don't sell within two weeks, they will go to the scrap yard when I turn in my brass and copper plumbing scrap.

post-636-0-26523100-1405913822_thumb.jpg

Not awesome: the guy who was going to buy the engine and trans flaked out on me. He canceled when he was already an hour late. If the parts don't sell within two weeks, they will go to the scrap yard when I turn in my brass and copper plumbing scrap.

Put it on Craigs List or eBay. Last engine/tranny I had I was all set to scrap and I figured what the heck, I'd try a free "Buy It Now" ad on eBay. I took a few photos, and posted it for $499. Just make sure you post that you won't ship, local pickup only. The next day I got an email entitled "You Made A Sale." Easiest $500 I ever made.