Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/10 scratch built Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

prestonlal

Spent the last couple of days hunting dashboard pics on the interweb....couldn't find a pic of one that was out of the car, laying on a table or even on the floor....

So...I'm gonna be using various pics of dashboards that were taken while they were still in the car...various angles, slightly different versions of the same overall dashboard...some memory from like 15 years ago and a lot of guess work with dimensions and shapes and angles...piece a' cake...lol! ;) managed to get started with the dash....

Some pics...

imagejpg3_zps7cf706dc.jpg

imagejpg6_zps090883b9.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsa72f60b0.jpg

imagejpg4_zps7ca0ba48.jpg

imagejpg5_zps80f59796.jpg

Still need to putty and file in some places...but getting there I think...lol! gonna start adding the lower pieces to the passenger side now and see if I could get the glove box done as well as the vent area above it...will like to at least finish this part of it tonight....

Anywho coupla pics...

imagejpg3_zps8b732723.jpg

imagejpg2_zps4d9f33db.jpg

Managed to make a rough styrene template for the GTS instrument panel...:blink: so now I have a better idea of what size the holes should be...lol!

Also keep in mind that this panel is tiered, so I will have to cut off the bottom area , just above the steering wheel slot, as this entire bottom piece will be recessed below the upper piece...not sure if I explained it correct ha! It's 1:45 am after all...hoo boy...lol!

So will have to pick up either the relevant sized bits or a stepped bit...the larger holes are 10mm, didn't bother to check the smaller holes as the reamer didn't make them properly round...lol! Once I get the bits I will try to make a proper template and will order up the tubes...

Anywho some pics...

imagejpg1_zpsf0ee7d15.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsae3ab734.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsdbf036c4.jpg

Really diggin' this build,..

The details in the scratchbuilding look great!

And the best thing is, when your done you can actually drive it!!

Mnfctr's must have really downsized those servo motors,..

I built the Tamiya Baja bug,..... years ago,... you couldn't fit those under the 1/4 panel lol

Keep on it, I'll be watching!

Cheers

Really diggin' this build,..

The details in the scratchbuilding look great!

And the best thing is, when your done you can actually drive it!!

Mnfctr's must have really downsized those servo motors,..

I built the Tamiya Baja bug,..... years ago,... you couldn't fit those under the 1/4 panel lol

Keep on it, I'll be watching!

Cheers

Hey thanks Belugawrx!

In case you wanted to pick one up... It's the micro servo that operates the front disc brakes on the venom motorcycle...I used the cable and some of the fittings to adapt it to operate the hood latch! Same servo and and calipers that I modded for the working front disc brakes on the MK2...! Lol! Which reminds me to get cracking on setting up that build thread here...lol!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys....small update!

Managed to get some work done on the instrument panel...! Still need to build the vents and install them. Also need to finish the lower half of the dashboard!

Got some shots of it in the car, but will need to make some adjustments to the upper firewall where the dashboard sits...

Hoping to get the lower half done tomorrow...!

Anywho...some pics...

imagejpg1_zps1e714469.jpg

imagejpg2_zps2dfd4dc9.jpg

imagejpg3_zps28149e54.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsa5f7c0c6.jpg

imagejpg5_zps66f0d5a0.jpg

imagejpg6_zpsf7213983.jpg

imagejpg7_zps92ee565a.jpg

Hey guys...another small update!

Still working on the dashboard...getting there slowly .......so many angles and curves....still have some areas to putty some more and sand some more...:huh:

Was really tempted to make the glove box functional, but decided not to...lol! Still need to make the steering wheel and column as well as the piece that goes below the steering wheel column, at the bottom of the instrument panel...also need to adjust the area where the dash board sits ..... Also need to make the vents for the instrument panel...lol!

Anywho....some pics...watcha think?

imagejpg1_zps4c6a7dde.jpg

imagejpg2_zps30fe583b.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsa66a19cb.jpg

imagejpg4_zps7a131bd6.jpg

imagejpg5_zps949c1165.jpg

imagejpg6_zps7e1803c0.jpg

Been trying to wrap my head around the flooring...:blink:...lol! Eventually decided to rebuild it with a 'step down' at the sides of the chassis so the outer sides lines up with the bottom of the body. Couldn't figure any other way of doing it without having that section raised over the chassis...

I was planning to do bucket seats as the Sandman is outfitted with them, but I think I will try to make the bench seat instead, as it will probably hide most of the raised area. This means that I will also have to consider making it a column shifter :blink:

Anywho, some pics.... Will try to wrap up the flooring tomorrow and start on the seat. Will also try to properly fit the dashboard in as well...

imagejpg1_zps06a8d893.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9d8e9275.jpg

imagejpg3_zps827113db.jpg

imagejpg4_zps31b49c7a.jpg

imagejpg5_zps536ec64b.jpg

imagejpg6_zps2198feb2.jpg

imagejpg7_zpscddc8a66.jpg

imagejpg8_zps5f3653f7.jpg

imagejpg9_zps88256273.jpg

imagejpg10_zps9cf62c1b.jpg

Edited by prestonlal

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just a small update..! lol...just so's you see I ain't been slacking much..:lol:

Picked up the white gorilla glue....works pretty good! Just need to use it sparingly...it expands a lot..

Managed to get one bucket seat done .... Well almost... Still need to complete the bottom of the seat where you see the styrene, and glue some foam to it and shape it a bit...haven't done that as I will need to cut part of the bottom area to fit the 'step down' area on the flooring.

Still don't think I have the correct sand paper, been trying several grits....so it's not perfect...I may re-do them though...maybe after painting them I'll be able to putty the imperfect areas to get a better finish!

Anywho...some pics... Will try to complete the bottom piece as well as the back area tomorrow and then start on the other seat...!

image.jpg5_zps3rqtqccm.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsfbb41jfg.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsm72hwxyx.jpg

image.jpg2_zps8j1np2kc.jpg

image.jpg4_zps13b53ink.jpg

Think I'm gonna borrow Cato's leather upholstery idea, if he doesn't mind...it's just too cool so I want to attempt it! Lol...! I ordered up some 1mm thick sheepskin leather and some tan colored dye...gonna be a major learning curve here ...lol!

Also gonna start working on the couches for the Shaggin interior...lol!

Edited by prestonlal

Another small update..kinda!

Been working on the bottom of the seat where it will fit on the chassis...kinda looks like a component for something else ehh? And it's gonna be covered up....ha!

Well....some pics...you kinda get the idea ....right? Still need to shape and file it to match the seat...lol!

image.jpg1_zpsua0x8g4c.jpg

image.jpg2_zpspwudpag7.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsooy63b48.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsbjfkrwkr.jpg