Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Hemi Dart - They're Finished

Len Carsner

Well, it's time to kick this buildup into gear. Lots of people have been asking about this kit and are eager to know what it's like, so follow along as we dive into the Revell 1968 Hemi Dart.

A1template-vi.jpg

I referenced a number of photos of 68 Hemi Darts and decided to create my own rear wheel opening template shown here made from card stock. I did allow some influence from a past build. Back in 1969-70 timeframe, I built my first HD using a Charlie Allen Dart FC body and the interior/chassis etc. from a 69 Barracuda.

A2drillholes-vi.jpg

Here I’ve transferred the final opening shape to the new HD body shell. Using a small diameter drill bit I carefully drilled a series of holes tightly spaced along the pencil line as shown here.

A3fenderscribe-vi.jpg

Revell has been rather innovative on their new Hemi Dart body shell providing a scribed line to help in opening the rear wheel opening. Note that my version of the wheel opening differs slightly with theirs. One of us could be correct, both of us could be wrong or maybe there were slight variations in the over 100 Hemi Darts built for Chrysler by Hurst Corporation in Detroit.

A4cleanup-vi.jpg

Once the tiny holes were drilled, it was a simple matter of slowly bending the piece of fender until that piece was removed. Using a combination of a jewelers file, sanding stick and medium grade automotive sandpaper the new fender opening was cleaned up to my liking. Could be I’ll tweak both openings a tad before I move on to primer and paint.

A5removeemblems-vi.jpg

Using the hand tools shown here, carefully remove the engraved GTS emblems ahead of the door on both front venders. You’ll need to also remove the GTS emblem on the leading edge of the rear deck lid.

A6swaptrans-vi.jpg

As Len stated earlier, Hurst built four-speed HDs and Torqueflite racecars as well. The Revell HD kit included both the 440 cid BB engine and a brand new Super Stock 426 Hemi. The new release gives you a choice of a Hemi with a four speed attached or if you’d like to build an automatic car like I’m doing, you’ll need to carefully remove the stick tranny from the back of the Hemi block and transplant the TF from the 440 as shown here.

A7enginecomparo-vi.jpg

If you’ve wanted to build a four speed 440 version of the kit, you’re in luck. Simply move the tranny taken from the Hemi and attach it to the back of the 440 block.

A8engtranAlum-vi.jpg

Once the engine/transmission combo was cleaned up, it was treated to a few coats Plasti-Kote T-235 sandable primer. That was followed with a couple of generous coats of Testors Metalizer Aluminum Plate. I decided to do the extra transmission while I was at it.

A9sprayblocketc-vi.jpg

Once the Metalizer AP was thoroughly dry, the tranny/bell housing was masked off using BareMetal foil. At this point the exposed engine block etc. was coated with Testors Bright Red spray paint.

continued in next post.....

Edited by Len Carsner

more of the Dart...

A10seatcomparison-vi.jpg

The standard Dart GTS bucket seats (shown here on the left) once painted matte black will work for the HD for many folks. But, if absolute authenticity is your forte, Model Car World has added this set of Dodge A-100 pick up seat to their fine resin parts line.

A11resinseats-vi.jpg

The A-100 buckets rode on metal rails from reference photos we’ve reviewed. I used narrow strips of .020 in sheet stock, ½ in long to make rails. Each rail was lightened with a series of holes along their length as shown here.

A11adetailsforresinseats-vi.jpg

This close up shot gives a better view of what the A-100 seat rails look like and how they were made and attached to the undersides of both seats.

A12removehardware-vi.jpg

Removing the standard GTS door panel hardware (window cranks) can be accomplished if you’re careful. I used a No. 11 blade held horizontally and slowly sliced away at each crank until it was pretty much gone. Careful and deliberate work with sanding stick, emory board and medium grade automotive sandpaper cleans up what residue is left.

A13makeshifter-vi.jpg

Since I’m building a Torqueflite HD the Revell kit doesn’t present a corresponding floor shift for this application. Once I found a photo of a Hurst Dualgate floor shift on the net, I made my own. The housing is approximately ½ in long by 3/16 in. tall by ¼ in. wide. I then laminated piece of .020 in sheet stock together followed by some sculpting with a hobby knife and jewelers file to get what was needed as shown here.

A14sprayblackparts-vi.jpg

Here I've gathered parts that will be painted with the same shade of black. Masking tape holds them in place on scrap cardboard.

A15tires-vi.jpg

Shown here are the big n little front and rear tires provided for the Hemi Dart drag car. The Cragar S/S wheels are obviously of Revell linage but at this point I’m not for sure of which kit they came from.

A15aMHslicks-vi.jpg

Unlike what we’ve come to expect from Revell when it comes to tire sidewall markings, the Hemi Dart kit is a departure from the recent past. The sidewall lettering is clearly seen in this close-up photo.

A16paintsforHH-vi.jpg

Since the time when this HD kit was announced I’ve been acquiring the stuff to build one special version. Fortunately, I had a choice for the GM Hugger Orange color I needed. On the left, from the Testors Custom Lacquer System is the base color and the necessary Ultra Gloss Clearcoat. On the right, is a 2 oz. bottle of the required color custom-mixed from MCW.

A17decalscomparo-vi.jpg

Shown here at the top is the kit’s extensive water-slide decal set. You only have the option with these marking of doing a generic graphics scheme. At the bottom is a water-slide decal set (from an unknown source), for my target build.

That's all for now, folks! Hopefully we'll be posting again around the first of the week.

See you then,

Bill and Len

Edited by Len Carsner

Why red for the engine? Correct color would be Race Hemi Orange, which is still available through Chrysler and just about any of the restoration companies catering to Chrysler products. Not knocking your build; just an honest question when the correct color is available.

Wheels* and tires look really good. I was half expecting the solid slicks from the Thunderbolt or those wimpy hollow slicks from the 68 Firebird and 69 Nova.

*edit - now that I've re-read the original post I think Bill has swapped the kit wheels for wheels from another kit.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Very nice progress so far. Lots of great info. being shared by so many. I plan on picking up a few of these kits to do multiple versions, of old and new. If no one minds me adding on here I'd like to provide some inspiration.

Plenty of doable paint schemes for both old and new versions of Hemi Darts.

Indy2008_IMG_3748vi-vi.jpg

Indy2008_IMG_3745vi-vi.jpg

How about a Super Stock Dart with side pipes?

15612117-vi.jpg

2017325yankee-vi.jpg

2017208landy5-vi.jpg

1995159HPIM1784-vi.jpg

HemiDart-vi.jpg

Good questions Bart. I for one am happy that it is being released because I can now have some A-bodies without having to resort to E-Bay. Also, the chassis can be used for a myraid assortment of updates to earlier MPC and AMT kits, along with some of the Revell earlier released A-bodies. That is why I AM excited about its' release.

Edited by whale392

Thanks for the pictures and review of this kit, is very welcome and show us what exactly comes in the box.

I had two of Dick Landy Darts in the early stages of conversion to a Hemi Dart, when Revell show pictures of the real Hemi Dart car in "naked/from the factory" look as the next incarnation of this kit, I put on hold my projects and waited with a lot of patience and expectations...BUT...

I was one of the many modelers waiting for this particular Hemi Dart, unfurtunatly it was a disapointment in terms of what was made...or reissued/modified...with all the wrong/missing detail...important and particular details to that car, it made me reconsider my desire to buy this "new" kit, as other members have pointed out, the wrong seats,interior panels and lack of "steelies" wheels as an option among other things is quite a lot to consider before buying one for my model project...in my VERY personal opinion and view of course.

The good thing is that all those who wanted to build more models of this car, can do so without paying collectors price fot the originals realese of the Revell Dart, I would have been one of them but the price tag of $25 dollars plus the added charge for correct aftermarket parts like seats,wheels,etc make the deal a little expensive for me...again in my personal view and opinion only.

Edited by Plasticfanatic

Revell probably should have played up the "Stock"/2'n 1 aspect of this kit a little more, rather than calling it a Hemi Dart.(well actually they call it a "68 Dodge Dart Hemi")

Like - "Hey, we made a "Stock" GTS (albeit one with a 440, but IIRC all it takes to make a 383 is an air-cleaner decal) and steel top, and oh yeah, we threw in some Hemi stuff to make a killer drag car. In fact it wouldn't take too much extra work to make a real Hemi Dart."

It wouldn't be as disappointing, maybe? Seems a lot like the "Black Widow" 57 Chevy. If they had just not put "Black Widow" on the box that would have been a great kit, and I feel that way about this one. I'm going to buy one (I don't have any Darts) but I'm thinking more and more about just building it as a nice streetable Hemi Dart clone.

Thanks for the pictures and review of this kit, is very welcome and show us what exactly comes in the box.

I had two of Dick Landy Darts in the early stages of conversion to a Hemi Dart, when Revell show pictures of the real Hemi Dart car in "naked/from the factory" look as the next incarnation of this kit, I put on hold my projects and waited with a lot of patience and expectations...BUT...

I was one of the many modelers waiting for this particular Hemi Dart, unfurtunatly it was a disapointment in terms of what was made...or reissued/modified...with all the wrong/missing detail...important and particular details to that car, it made me reconsider my desire to buy this "new" kit, as other members have pointed out, the wrong seats,interior panels and lack of "steelies" wheels as an option among other things is quite a lot to consider before buying one for my model project...in my VERY personal opinion and view of course.

The good thing is that all those who wanted to build more models of this car, can do so without paying collectors price fot the originals realese of the Revell Dart, I would have been one of them but the price tag of $25 dollars plus the added charge for correct aftermarket parts like seats,wheels,etc make the deal a little expensive for me...again in my personal view and opinion only.

This is the only pic I've seen circulated from Revell - lrmxs4217-vi.jpg

Note that the wheels are not actual wheels, but 1-dimensional cardboard cut-outs of real Cragars! (You can find the same phenomenon on the box-top of Lindberg's 66 Chevelle.)

Edited by Brett Barrow

I'm jealous... :lol: .. I tried to order this kit. was told maybe in september.

oh, there are a few '69 & '68 Darts in my stash. I bought them because I have owned acouple of 1:1's.

still looking forward to getting the half dozen I pre-ordered.

and they will add to the pile of previously purchased Darts.

Yeah, it will take some parts-box scavenging to get what I want outta this kit.

but that happens so often now, I'm sorta used to it.... :lol:

I'm jealous... :( .. I tried to order this kit. was told maybe in september.

oh, there are a few '69 & '68 Darts in my stash. I bought them because I have owned acouple of 1:1's.

still looking forward to getting the half dozen I pre-ordered.

and they will add to the pile of previously purchased Darts.

Yeah, it will take some parts-box scavenging to get what I want outta this kit.

but that happens so often now, I'm sorta used to it.... :)

Bill and Len are building production samples of the kit. When the kits reach production Revell sends a few of the first kits over from China via courier to send to magazines and test builders, while the rest of the run of kits are put onto a container ship and sent to the US (the trip usually takes about a month, unless Customs decides to inspect the container, which happens a lot when they contain kits of "tanks" and "missles"). RPP shops should get the kit around the 3rd week of August, while the non-RPP retailers should get them around the 1st week of September.

This is the only pic I've seen circulated from Revell - lrmxs4217-vi.jpg

Note that the wheels are not actual wheels, but 1-dimensional cardboard cut-outs of real Cragars! (You can find the same phenomenon on the box-top of Lindberg's 66 Chevelle.)

The first time I saw this "new" offering from Revell, the promotion picture shown was from a real car with the black fiberglass front finish, it was in one of the big Model/Toy expos exibits in the "coming soon" category.

You mean like that "Fairlane 427 Street Machine" kit? I think that would have created the impression this kit is another of those "neither fish nor fowl" deals, like that one was ... which it's definitely not.

Yeah, that was a "let's stretch the last little bit we can outta these molds" kinda kit, but it also shows how they can paint themselves into a corner if they try to go too all-out accurate on a kit of a super-rare factory lightweight racer. I won't mind cutting the wheel arches, sanding off the GTS emblems, or removing the window cranks on this kit, but I'd have been peeved if they'd done the Hemi Dart first and to make an accurate stock version I'd have to un-do all that stuff. A stock 68 Dart is way farther up my list than a stock 64 Fairlane, but I'm sure others feel differently.