Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bondo

Ryan S.

So I went to the auto parts store to pick up some primer and some paint and thought I would get some Bondo to try on one of the cars I'm working on. I've never used Bondo but never thought to figure there was more than one type. For modeling purposes, what do you guys use? I want to get the right stuff. Thanks!

Ryan, I myself use EverCoat. It's a Polyester Plastic based type of putty. It works GREAT and sands an feathers easily. It IS kinda expensive I payed about 15 bucks for a 1lb.can. It's a 2 part resin/hardener type of putty that's REAL easy to work with, an to me it's worth the price. I'm SURE there's ALOT more stuff out there, but this works best for me! :lol::lol:

I use Bondo brand, body repair kit, I like it for big jobs, like filling the pannels on my '65 grocery getter, build that I have on here some where, anyway its a 14oz can, comes with a tube of hardener, the hard part is mixing it, getting the right amount to work with, and for small jobs I use the bondo brand, glazing and spot putty, to me both are easy to work with, I used both on Reapers Ride, and have no issue's up to this point, you can get both from walmart, and just about every parts store

Regular Bondo is a bit grainy and is a bit harder to sand than spot putties.

Evercoat glazing/spot putty is nice, but it is expensive.

Regular Bondo spot putty (red stuff in a tube) has to be applied in very thin coats and shrinks a lot (it dries without a catalyst). The polyester putties like Bondo and Evercoat are much better/stable because they cure quickly, and you can start sanding much sooner.

Recently I noticed a new Bondo product at Pep Boys. Right next to the old-fashioned spot putty they have a new 2 part spot putty in a tube (with a separate small container of catalyst). It's about $8, which is about 1/4 what I paid last time for Evercoat.

That would be my suggestion...find the tube of catalyzed 2 part Bondo spot putty...mix it up as directed, apply, and it should sand down quite nicely. Spot putties are more finely ground than old-fashioned Bondo, much more suitable for models.

I use the red glazing and spot putty. It is similar to Squadron or Testors putty but much cheaper (for the same price I get 2-3x as much putty). It does shrink so you have to work in thin layers. Besides the shrinking issue using too much putty at once can melt plastic because of the solvents in the putty.

The 2 part fillers don't shrink or at least shrink very little, but they are harder to work with. They also get warm as they cure, it may be a myth but I have heard some have had some issue with the heat warping the plastic if too much is used.

I use the red glazing and spot putty. It is similar to Squadron or Testors putty but much cheaper (for the same price I get 2-3x as much putty). It does shrink so you have to work in thin layers. Besides the shrinking issue using too much putty at once can melt plastic because of the solvents in the putty.

The 2 part fillers don't shrink or at least shrink very little, but they are harder to work with. They also get warm as they cure, it may be a myth but I have heard some have had some issue with the heat warping the plastic if too much is used.

That is very true. I have ruined bodys in the past when using to much bondo, its best to glue the piece on first, then let it dry for at least a day, then sand down the glue and plastic, then apply very thin coats of putty. For my type of stuff,big or small, i use bondo brand glazing putty. Its alot easier to use than the two part stuff. you can litteraly take it out of the package and use it when you get home, as to where with two part puttys you have to mix it just right, usually about an inch line of hardner to a golfball size of putty. Then you also have to worrie about the temerature of your state when using any type of putty, its best to leave it in your bathroom with the fan on, you can also use this method for letting paints on bodies to dry! It all comes down to preference though, hte old school guys will tell you the two part for everything, the mid school guys will tell you the two part stuff for big jobs, and the glazing putty for the small jobs, and some people just dont like using putty at all.

Make sure your in a well ventillated room when using putty though!

Jeff.