Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building costs

In scanning several threads on the forum, I find one person using 11 different kits to build one car. Another spending around $40.00 for a set of rims. Resin engines at $20.00 each. Multiple PE kits for a bunch of bucks. Same with special metalized paints.

Now, I confess, I did invest in a food dehydrator because I hated to watch paint dry. And yes, I did follow the advice of many here and purchased a paint booth instead of doing my spray painting in a closet. These will be pro rated over many builds. But my question is...How much is the cost of your builds?

I understand that if you are building for a judged contest you would be inclined to spend the big bucks. But, how about your average build, done just for fun?

My budget:

Kit $15.00 to $18.00 (cheaper if I can find one on sale).

Primer/paint $10.00 (if I use the small expensive cans, less if I use the big cans)

Glue, detail brush paint, thinner, etc.. $5.00

Total: About $30.00

I would be interested in knowing just how much you guys spend to complete some of the great works that I see posted here.

I never put a price on my builds never have. When buying after market parts I buy what I like and put it away. When I start a build i go through the parts and get out what I want and go. Buy stuff over time instead of for a particular buildweighes easier on me and my pocket in the long run..

I like building highly detailed cars and may build two or 3 cars a year. I have a budget like everyone else and I try to stick to that budget "try".

In scanning several threads on the forum, I find one person using 11 different kits to build one car. Another spending around $40.00 for a set of rims. Resin engines at $20.00 each. Multiple PE kits for a bunch of bucks. Same with special metalized paints.

Now, I confess, I did invest in a food dehydrator because I hated to watch paint dry. And yes, I did follow the advice of many here and purchased a paint booth instead of doing my spray painting in a closet. These will be pro rated over many builds. But my question is...How much is the cost of your builds?

I understand that if you are building for a judged contest you would be inclined to spend the big bucks. But, how about your average build, done just for fun?

My budget:

Kit $15.00 to $18.00 (cheaper if I can find one on sale).

Primer/paint $10.00 (if I use the small expensive cans, less if I use the big cans)

Glue, detail brush paint, thinner, etc.. $5.00

Total: About $30.00

I would be interested in knowing just how much you guys spend to complete some of the great works that I see posted here.

I must admit, I'm a real cheapskate when I'm building. I have recently bought a few more tools which have really progressed my build quality. But I generally only add what details are cheap or free. For example, I make ignition wires from jewellry wire or bead wire, rather than buy purpose-made stuff.

Military modelling seems to be the big spending genre. I've read articles where somebody will typically use:

Tiger tank kit - £20

Cast metal tracks - £12

Turned metal gun barrel - £5

Photo-etched detail set - £10

Resin stowage/stores set - £10

That's £57 ($100) on a 1/35 tank, without paint or consumables. Don't get me wrong, they often look stunning, and if you take into account the hours which will be spent building it, it works out relatively little (e.g. compared with drinking beer at about £6 per hour :rolleyes: ).

I suppose it depends where you want to go with the hobby - a bit like the previous 'how much detail is too much' discussion. Sometimes I might want to improve on what the manufacturer has done, other times I just love throwing together a kit and seeing it finished!

I never set a budget for what I build. I'll pick up aftermarket parts, paint and supplies at shows or locally. I probably have enough paint supplies on hand to do 50 cars. In aftermarket parts, I have loads more than most hobby shops have in stock.

I am cheap and try to make things last or find a less expensive source to get what I need. I'll make things rather than buy them when possible. Plus some resin parts like master cylinders look crappy, I can make my own from a few pieces of styrene that looks more realistic.

I did add up a few recent build costs, this came up on another board months ago. My recent costs for a moderate detail build run around $45-60. Which is not that bad, I've has some that topped $200 and in the end I wasn't that happy with them.

Bob

I've found over the years that I can achieve a bit of extra detail and effect without the higher PE/resin costs. Takes a bit of imagination and time/patience but it works for me. As an example: on a recent 1:48 scale Corsair F4U-1D :o:blink: I wanted to "spruce up the cockpit" but did not want to pay the high photoetched price. Ended up adding about ten extra details that really enhanced the "office area" with nothing more than tiny bits of wire, wire insulation, tiny solder, and .010 inch thick styrene. Same with my car models: bead wire, small diameter insulation, guitar string, etc. As Bluesman Mark said, paint and sandpaper are a given. Nothing special in the way of paints, just LHS or hardware items. This gets me where I want to go and I'm a happy camper...er, modeler...with more money left over to entice those newborn model puppies from the hobby shop to follow me home :rolleyes: !

How much I spend to complete a model varies widely...it all depends on how much the kit itself costs.

Paints, glues, sanpaper, filler, etc. are used on more than one model, so their costs are amortized over time.

But the cost of each individual kit is the real variable. I've spent as little as a few bucks for a single kit (clearance rack at Hobby Lobby!) and I've bought kits that cost many hundreds of dollars each. There's no preset "spending limit" for me...I go by common sense, taking into account how badly I want a particular kit and how much enjoyment (bang for the buck) that particular kit will likely provide. (or in the case of Pochers, how much torture I'm willing to endure... :rolleyes: )

Edited by harrypri

I've built a few models for friends who were curious on how much it cost to build their kit. Needless to say, without adding in time both were around $200. Although this counted paint, glue etc...

Again, I'm like everyone else. I buy what I like, what I want to add to it and go from their. I've spent as little as $3.50 recently for a kit, and as much as $175 for one.

I think where the cost increases is when you decide what you are going to do with the build.

I buy lots of foreign kits with the corresponding photo etch. I would say I pay on the average of about $45 for kit and p.e.. The kit isn't even open yet. Most of the kits I buy need carbon fiber decals, that's another cost. I know I'm not the only one to use after market decals! :rolleyes:

I also buy window paint masks for the kits that don't have them and if they are made for a kit I have. Otherwise I go through a lot of Tamiya tape to make my own.

It all ends up as Mark and the others have said. You buy and build whatever you like and you determine how much your going to spend. A phrase I hear a lot is, at least your family knows where you are, you could be sitting in a bar, and what have you got to show for yourself then?

Chris

Like most, i don't put a budget on my builds. I buy a model whether it be unbuilt new issue, vintage unbuilt, vintage rebuildable or whatever. The price invested in the model it'self already depends on how i bought it. If it's a new kit, obviously i spent about $20 or less to buy the kit. If it's a vintage unbuilt kit, i might spend $20-$100 (no i build, so anything more is insanity) and if it's a vintage rebuilder it might cost $5-$70 (yep some rare models cost that even built up).

Everything i buy, i build....no collector greed on my bench, i will shave, cut and GLUE anything!

Now take any of those given builds i might do at anytime and add "what i want to do with it". I have been keeping it simple lately, because i got burnt out on detailing. On top of the price of the kit, tack on $5-$15 or more for paint, primer and clears. It's hard to say how much is spend per car for foiling, wax and paper. I use decals a lot that don't come in the current kits, so there might be another $5-$10 for those and quite often i don't use wheels that came in a kit. I might buy some wheels from Modelhaus (anything in between) and Bob Dudek. The cost of wheels can vary from $10-$120 or more.

If i build a simple car with only paint and wheels....i guess i would have about $30 or so invested. I have a detailed car that i have been working on for a couple years that has easily over $400 invested and maybe i am a little low on that. The motive for that car was to "push myself" and WOW people, but other than that.....i don't build for contests. I don't let contests rule my building. Half the time i don't take my best stuff to shows just because i don't care if i win and i don't want to haul delicate stuff with me.

Don't get me wrong, this probably sounds like i have rubber gloves on when i build or that i have scientists working with me to put on a distributor cap. That is not the case, i am a builder and just like anyone else, i build my models to suit my "current inspiration". I would also like to add that putting a ton of after market parts on my model, doesn't mean i am going to compete....(referring to your comment)

I think there are a lot of guys that really enjoy putting all the fine details on. I personally just do what i feel like doing and more than half the time i don't finish the model before i have another one started haha!

EDIT: PS... i don't ever have that kind of money to spend all at once, i buy stuff over time and save stuff up for a build. Being married , i DO have a budget lol

Edited by awbcrazy

lets see, I'll do my current project for costs. it changes for every model I do

model, AMT 1970 Coronet stock kit. I got it three years ago for $20, long before the new AMT announced the reissue.

$18 is resin parts. to convert it to an R/T convertible (PSF hobbies pitchfork hood, RT tail panel and side scoops, Boot from the Modelhaus)

not much PE, maybe $10 worth, but most is from the "P.E." spare box

$10.00 (bought using coupon from Michaels a few years ago) Revell 69 Charger for some parts. like the RT emblems, single carb intake, carb, and some other minor parts

$6.99 AMT 71 Charger, for air cleaner (although this one doesn't technically count because I bought it for the chassis, to use under an AMT 74 Road Runner)

maybe $20 in paint, although I haven't chosen a color yet.

with the math thats $84.99 so far, but I've been planning this project for several years. and parts have been bought over a three year time plan

I don't keep track of $$$ when it comes to achieving the end result I want; if I did I'd probably go crazy! Heck! I start out thinking I'm going to have a nice, easy quick relaxing OOB build, and suddenly, without realizing it, I've spent $100 or more to do it up right!

Case in point: currently I'm working on the Monogram/Revell '39 Chevy Coupe, retro-built as a factory stock model; I always buy at least two copies of my base model, but in this case also had to buy an additional copy of the Sedan Delivery kit for the factory stock hood. Spent another $20 for the Jada Toys '39 Chevy Sedan Lowrider for the factory-stock-correct bumpers and tail lamps (the front bench seat was also used for the coupe after I cut it down to proper height). I used the scalloped steel wheels, inside door handles and window cranks and the gear-shift lever from the Revell '37 Ford Panel Delivery Truck, wide white sidewall tires from the R-M '57 Corvette roadster, stovebolt six engine from the R-M '53 Bel Air, gas tank from the R-M '37 Ford Sedan and a Preston's pre-wired distributor, cut down from 8 to 6. Probably the most outrageously extravagant expense was $20 for the Stevens International re-issue of the AMT '37 Chevy coupe just for the factory-stock hubcaps and radiator fan!!!!!

I will be scratch-building a new exhaust system from aluminum tubing and will be purchasing a bunch of bending and cutting tools in addition to the tubing. I've already done a fair bit of scratch-building using plastic strip and sheet as well as painted masking tape to simulate interior upholstery. To get a presentable underframe I will be scratchbuilding new engine mounts and cross members, and have decided to get myself a set of digital calipers and several other tools to do this job up right.

Add cost of Tamiya TS 14 Gloss Black paint, several shades of Polly Scale and Citadel paint, a smidgeon of Bare Metal Foil, allow for the fact that some of these costs will be spread out over several different projects, and you can see how it all adds up. . .but I'm having FUN (especially now that my ex-wife isn't around to nag me about $$$!!!) so who cares????? :rolleyes:

Edited by FactoryStock54

I mainly have been doing resin lately. It ends up costing quite a bit more.

The price breakdown:

$90 - 200 for model kit (I mainly do racing cars which are more expensive than a standard resin kit.)

$10 - 50 for paint (I usually order a custom mix to match the cars I'm doing.)

$10 - 20 for PE (Most of the photoetch is already in the kit.)

$10 - 30 for after market parts (such as antenna mounts and decals)

The totals would be $120 - 300.

But a lot of these kits I'm building for other people, not just myself. The cost doesn't usually end up all on me. If I'm doing a plastic model, like a Tamiya kit, it's usually half of the price of the resin.

How much I spend to complete a model varies widely...it all depends on how much the kit itself costs.

Paints, glues, sanpaper, filler, etc. are used on more than one model, so their costs are amortized over time.

But the cost of each individual kit is the real variable. I've spent as little as a few bucks for a single kit (clearance rack at Hobby Lobby!) and I've bought kits that cost many hundreds of dollars each. There's no preset "spending limit" for me...I go by common sense, taking into account how badly I want a particular kit and how much enjoyment (bang for the buck) that particular kit will likely provide. (or in the case of Pochers, how much torture I'm willing to endure... :rolleyes: )

I kinda tend to get carried away. Most of the kits I build are cadillacs ,therefore I have to use either old Jo-hans, or resin.

My current project has me up to about 200.00, as the kit itsef was 75.00 ( bought it mint/sealed)

then you factor in resin motor-20.00, wheels 10.00, etc, etc,

DSCF6249.jpg

man i usually go in mw lhs sayin fifty$$$$$ is max then i end up spending 200$$$$$$ and walk out sayin now how the F@#$ did that happen

my average boils down to this

KIT=18.00

PAINT=5.00(PER CAN)

DETAILS=60.00-200.00(DEPENDS ON THE MODEL AND WHAT I WANT TO DO)

TIME=2-6 MONTHS

SOME DAYS I HATE THIS HOBBY ITS THE ONLY ONE THAT EATS UP MY PAYCHECK LOL

For me building a model used to cost me on average around 3 to 600 dollars. But now since I machine most of my aluminum parts and make my own resin pieces and cars it’s still around 250 bucks per car. That’s not including my time buying the raw aluminum, resin, styrene, paint, glues and other stuff I need to get the job done. But just for the hobby in it self I spend a few thousand dollars each year attending most if not all the shows. Flights, hotels, food, taking time off from work, rental cars, and buying a lot of stuff from each show. Thank god at least my gas is free.

I don't get to build much, but that is changing with some time off coming up. As soon as I can get a few house projects done, I'll be in good shape this summer and winter. I try to limit myself on buying. I really try to stick with only a couple of subjects like Porsches, Ferraris, and LeMans racers. If I like it I get it. If I come along a particular item I want, I'll try to get it or save up for it. I've spent anywhere from $3 to $280 on a single kit not to mention other pieces to enhance it. It really depends on what I want. I have learned that if you don't get some things now, it will cost you three or four times that later. A very good example of that is a Porsche GT1 from 1998. I have a scale productions kit, which would probably fetch $200 or more on evilBay, whereas I paid about $60.

Nic

Quote: 11 different kits to build one car.

I'm going to guess and say this part he is asking is because of my building style, I normally buy two kits of what I'm building one of because when I was in to the RC stuff back in the early s I learn that you can buy the same two things and have only one good one. So when I did the 56 "New Age Pimp'n" Chevy from GSL that is when I bought a lot of kits to do one car. Now for the new one I'm doing yes I have about 6 kits invested into it. When I'm done I will have extra parts to use on other builds later if I like. I do not buy PE stuff as I'm not to good into working with that. I make my own distributors and exhaust out of aluminum tubing and all my gages are turn aluminum. The biggest thing I spend money on are paints. I spend any where from $100 to $-- Sky is the limit.

Kit- Two min $16 to $18 each

Rims - $10

Gal, primer every 6 month- $40

Paint--Du Pont Hot Hues -- $30 to $160

Clear Coat-- Hot Hues- $65 every 6 months

Chrome Plating--Chrome Solutions $300 for the kit (new but looking at about 6 months or more)

Chrome Plating--Chrome Tech USA--$75 and up.

Evercoat Body filler--- $18 year.

Extra stuff tools and so on about $300 a year

Now I'm not sure how you can brake that all down to what I spend but I do know I spend the sky limit on one car a year or two as it is build special. (Next car is taking till 2015 and it will be my first build from a scratch built body and chassis)

It's like most everything else, Once it becomes a matter of who can do it better, there are always people with more money than I who will pay for the honor. But where do you draw the line? When I started competing, there wasn't a whole lot of aftermarket beyond the AutoWorld catalog. The big expense was the kits bought for parts. This led to an entire mindset of seeing model car parts in everyday items, a talent I still hone. I also work in an industry that uses a lot of stuff that can be adapted to model making (I made a perfect, 3D, 1/8 scale '56 tag for my Lindberg T with an industrial laser). I quit competing about the same time the aftermarket really picked up. I was a successful competitor, 22 comps with 17 firsts and five second places, plus a few "best" awards, back when you could only really do about three or four shows a year. I just hit a burn-out point trying to compete with guys with more money. It's definitely a sour grapes thing with me, kind of like saying I'd never really want to own a Ferrari. Hell yes, I would, but I don't really think it's gonna happen, so I stick wth that story and my allegiance to Detroit. It was frustrating to compete with cars that were "professionally" painted and overstocked with pre-assembled after market stuff. But that's the way it goes. If I could afford it, I'd buy the stuff too. My salvation is that i have a 40+ year accumulation of parts to dig through and a huge stash of paints and tools. In some schools that could be considered an unfair advantage. I build constantly. I've been that way through thick and thin since the 60's. Now I'm building just for me and I'm really liking it.

Here's that tag I mentioned.

56tag002.jpg

Edited by samdiego

Nic, you really hit the head on something I do. I try not to collect kits, but eventually we all become collectors. If I like it I try to buy it as soon as I can because waiting will only make the cost go up. Especially true of Japanese kits and almost anything racing.

That of course drives your initial cost up. I'm kicking myself now for not picking up a dart when I had the chance. Now you pay two to three times more for them. It's not something I really need, yet....

Chris

'How much to spend?' is a very subjective question IMO; it cannot be answered in an easy fashion, as each model brings challenges and special needs to the bench. More money doesn't automatically make a better model. My philosophy, if I had one, would probably be: spend what you need to in order to build what makes you happy.

As a rule I try not to think about how much my hobby costs me per model, as it could be very depressing.....I do have a couple of examples that spring to mind, now that I'm on the subject:

I have an original AMT Meyers Manx that I bought off Ebay a couple of years ago, and it is the most expensive unbuilt kit I've ever purchased: 75 beans :P . I've also spent at least 30 more on paint to test for accuracy; matching the 40-year old metalflake gelcoat finish on my 1:1 original Manx is no easy task. If it weren't for the fact that I'm using it to build a replica of my Manx, I would not have laid out that much green.

I'm backdating a pair of Hasegawa/Revell VW Bus models(a '67 and a '63) to the '50-54 'Barndoor' era; Between 4 or 5 Bus kits, 2 PL 'Herbie' kits, a Hasegawa Kübelwagen, a Bus reference book, supplies and some 'horse trading' for resin parts, I've got over $200 in the lot.....and there's no paint on anything yet.

It's easy for me to justify the Bus and Manx money in several ways - in both cases the 'investment' will ultimately be spread out over a few years, and my finished models will be unlike anyone else's.

Edited by VW Dave

Since I usually like to build bigger kits, the kit price is usually $20-$35. Paint and clear usually around $10-$20 a kit. Have not done any detail until now. Have not polished yet and glue is about $4 a bottle. Now recently my wife got a 29 RPU and we had a hard top left over so I bought two parts models for $15, parts pack motor for $10 with shipping. Everything else was a trade and left overs. However I must admit after the recent show I have decided to put myself to a test for detail. a 1970 1/2 Baldwin motion Camaro. Two kits and Resin chassis and a kit I found at the swap that had some after market details. So initially I already have spent $64. Need to get many more details, I figure $100 and paint I figure $20 and this time polishing stuff, about $10 so should be around $200. However this is a first and I want whole hog with opening doors and removable parts,bolts wires, hood pins, door handles fans hose clamps, the whole nine yards as this will be a competition car.Thanks. Jody