Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Jeepster25

This is my next project, it is a resin Jeep Grand Wagoneer from RMR that uses the Revell Jeep Honcho as a donor. I wanted the wheels to look authentic so I had them made by 3 Dimension Design on their 3D printer. My plan is for this Jeep to look like the 1987 model so I have to modify the grill, dashboard and bumpers. Also I have to make decals that replicate the wood paneling. It should be an interesting project.

DSCN2523.jpg

DSCN2524.jpg

DSCN2526.jpg

DSCN2527.jpg

Edited by Jeepster25

Now there's something you don't see everyday. Brooks Stevens would be proud. He designed the original in '62 when it was a Willys product and had an OHC six. A year later Kaiser scrubbed the Willys name from it and it became the Kaiser Jeep. AMC purchased Jeep in '70, and Chrysler bought AMC in '87. How many other vehicles have a thirty- plus year run among four different companies? Keep us updated. :D

Jeepster, are those wheels available for sale? The only way I will buy the resin Wag is if I can get the wheels to build a replica of my old Jeep. Perhaps RMR could also get a set to cast?

Thanks for sharing!

MYWAGONEER-vi.jpg

I have an extra set I can sell you. They will need sanding as you can see in the pictures (I painted them thinking the paint would make them look smoother but it didn't). I will send an email to RMR seeing if he would like to cast them in resin. The ones I have are made from a composite infiltrated with epoxy so they are fragile to work with.

If they ever did a sequel to National Lampoon's Vacation, a modified wagoner would have been an awesome Griswald machine. "The Family Jeepster". Sorry been thinking about watching Christmas Vacation lately. Hehe... Happy building.

Christmas Vaction what? The "Wagon Queen Family Truckster" was from "National Lampoon's Vacation". should be pretty cool project I'm a big fan of the SJ Body style of pickups, and Jeeps.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update on my progress on the Grand Wagoneer. I've painted the body with Jeep dark blue metallic and clear coated it. The conversion of the grill to the later model is almoast complete, I just need to add the black areas of the grill openings. The dash & steering wheel have been modified to the later model and painted, I'm planning on repainting the dash because I'm not happy with how it looks. I've been working on the woodgrain decals, the test print is shown.

Next up is installation of the all the chrome around the windows, I'm not sure if I will use paint or chrome foil since I've never used chrome foil before. After that I need to make the black rubber bumper parts, hitch, windows and decals of the license plates.

Here are some pictures of my progress.

DSCN2530.jpg

DSCN2532.jpg

DSCN2533.jpg

DSCN2534.jpg

I like it! Is the Honcho a J-10, by chance? I know at least a couple of those kits were made over the years. And how hard are they to find?

I'll be watching with great interest.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks! The Honcho is a J-10, the body has the J-10 logo. I've found several of these kits on ebay. From my experience Revell made at least 3 kits, a red Jeep Honcho Dude #7319, a black Jeep Honcho #7313 and one called Pink Poison #85-2146.

I'm really liking how this is turning out! What program did you use for the woodgrain? It looks very convincing!

Thanks! I used a picture of the Grand Wagoneer I had for the woodgrain. I had to do some stretching to get the door seams to match up with the panels. I used the Microsoft paint program.

Now there's something you don't see everyday. Brooks Stevens would be proud. He designed the original in '62 when it was a Willys product and had an OHC six. A year later Kaiser scrubbed the Willys name from it and it became the Kaiser Jeep. AMC purchased Jeep in '70, and Chrysler bought AMC in '87. How many other vehicles have a thirty- plus year run among four different companies? Keep us updated. B)

In THIS country, not to many. In the ex-Communist countries... THAT'S another story!

Glad to see you got some wheels that would work- to me, the weakest parts on the old Honcho J-10 kit were those toylike turbine wheels, that only looked remotely like the real thing after you'd had a few beers!

I saw this transkit in Resin Talk, and it really peaked my interest- I'll have to keep an eye on this thread!

Here is a quick update, I decided to try indoor pictures this time. I got all the chrome painted and finished the grill. The grill isn't as accurate as I wanted but for my limited modelling abilities it's close. Also I started to detail some of the under hood areas. Next up I want to finish the interior and windows so then I can just concentrate on the outside details.

DSCN2537.jpg

DSCN2538.jpg

DSCN2539.jpg

DSCN2540.jpg