Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 60 Pontiac Bonneville

wgflatliner

In a nutshell, the engine has some odd gaps in places you wouldn't expect it but otherwise it builds up OK (bar the PE hinges which will drive you insane) and any accuracy issues won't be a problem if you don't go looking for them (although the roof on the hard top does look short even if you don't know what you are looking at).

Buy one if you see one cheap.

198fscd.jpg

60Poncho03.jpg

The convertible definitely wins out among the pair . However , the convertible has this "Aftermarket " Rolled and Pleated interior . I don't have a clue as to what the tool makers were looking at back when these kits first appeared . The Hard top is abysmal though as it's so mis- shaped , I'm at a loss as to what they were using for measurements . The P. E hinges are best left in the box . As to the chrome issue , well, depends upon which issue Stephens International shipped that day. The very first issues had Dull Chrome . They were re called and a "Replacement " tree was shipped . Then too, a bunch of them got shipped with two Chrome trees , one dull , the other , correct . I certainly couldn't recommend any Trumpiteer kit regardless of subject . Theres way too much correction on anything they have ever passed out on us to make the high cost justifiable . This goes too for their Ranchero kit too..........

• 3 months later...

Just started working on mine alittle. Kudos to Trumpeter for the seperate chrome side trim but I'm glad I decided to glue it in place prior to prepping for paint. It's quite a bear to get off the chrome tree and cleaned up to glue in place. Need to be very careful with the glue as well.

Good move Jason. It's a bit stressful having to scrape fresh paint out of the slot to get them to fit if you do it the other way.

My issue with the hinges was that the wire they give you to use as pins is bigger diameter than the holes it is supposed to go through.

And too hard to successfully "mushroom" over to get it to stay in place if you do get it through.

If you want to risk insanity and build them I suggest using stretched sprue for the pins and smearing over the ends with a hot knife.

• 2 weeks later...

What a shame. I have two of these (a convertible and a coupe) in my stash and I have been looking forward to building them for some time. I was very impressed with the kit on first impressions, but inaccuracies as mentioned are a real turn-off. Maybe I will build them a customs or use parts as spares. Those PE hinges are a real nice touch, but of course they're no good if they don't work.

Got the Ranchero just last month thru a Squadron Shop E-mail sale.. Only paid 21.99 for it. Then i get the Monthly Catalog,and it's on SALE from 50.00 to like 48 or so.On close out or like this is the ONLY way I'll buy a Trumpeter CAR kit.I have each one they've sold so far,( except the fire engine)and EACH one of them has some goofy little thing ya GOTTA fix. Nope, not at the prices they're askin! They better be as good as Tamiya kits for THAT kinda cash. Their AIRCRAFT kits are just jewels!

Got the Ranchero just last month thru a Squadron Shop E-mail sale.. Only paid 21.99 for it. Then i get the Monthly Catalog,and it's on SALE from 50.00 to like 48 or so.On close out or like this is the ONLY way I'll buy a Trumpeter CAR kit.I have each one they've sold so far,( except the fire engine)and EACH one of them has some goofy little thing ya GOTTA fix. Nope, not at the prices they're askin! They better be as good as Tamiya kits for THAT kinda cash. Their AIRCRAFT kits are just jewels!

After seeing the first build-up on the net from the Falcon/Ranchero tool, I gave up on those guys...

They were dealt a great hand, but played lousy.

Oh well....luckily Moebius stepped up and they're much more receptive to customer feedback too.

Edited by Luc Janssens

• 1 year later...

Spotted an opportunity to pick up a convertible kit for cheap, not planning to build the whole thing, just rob some parts out of it. Upon seeing the dead satin chrome items, I thought I'd check the photos here to see if I was imagining things by thinking I'd previously seen shiny bumpers & such. Turns out that was a factory defect. One other handy thing I found elsewhere (or so it seems) was this German site's how-to on fixing the kit's defects:  http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/12-autos/1756-1960-pontiac-bonneville-sports-coupe-trumpeter.html

Google's English translation here.

1960-pontiac-bonneville-sports-coupe-trumpeter.jpg