#23 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

I've got the convertible.  The engine looks okay when built, definitely better than the Monte Carlo they did.  It builds up pretty decent overall.  There's a really nice PE kit for it available on Model Car Garage.  The main issue I had with this kit and most of their other ones is that the markings and logos that are normally etched onto the body are REALLY subpar.  The frame/chassis and suspension look really good. 

#24 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

A builder by the name of Dennis from Wiinnipeg, Canada had the '60 Bonneville convertible at the Milwaukee NNL last Saturday and it was "drop-dead-gorgeous."

#25 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

here's mine
layoff3003-2.jpg
layoff3002-2.jpg

Really nice model, Sam.  I like it a lot!

#26 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

In a nutshell, the engine has some odd gaps in places you wouldn't expect it but otherwise it builds up OK (bar the PE hinges which will drive you insane) and any accuracy issues won't be a problem if you don't go looking for them (although the roof on the hard top does look short even if you don't know what you are looking at).

Buy one if you see one cheap.

198fscd.jpg

60Poncho03.jpg

#27 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

From what I recall...

The convert is the best kit, though you will need the hardtop for the seats due to being wrong in the 'vert kit.

Also when buying these please check the chrome parts as the early editions have dull chrome.

#28 dino246gt

dino246gt

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis Ezmerlian

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

Here's some pictures of that one, I built it to see how "bad" the kit really was, and I'd say it's actually pretty good, aside from some innacuracies, but it's just a model, so that doesn't bother me at all!P1100783-vi.jpgP1100808-vi.jpgP1100835-vi.jpgP1100832-vi.jpg

#29 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts
  • Full Name:Ellen Shaver

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

The convertible definitely wins out among the pair . However , the convertible has this "Aftermarket " Rolled and Pleated interior . I don't have a clue as to what the tool makers were looking at back when these kits first appeared . The Hard top is abysmal though as it's so mis- shaped , I'm at a loss as to what they were using for measurements . The P. E hinges are best left in the box . As to the chrome issue , well, depends upon which issue Stephens International shipped that day. The very first issues had Dull Chrome . They were re called and a "Replacement " tree was shipped . Then too, a bunch of them got shipped with two Chrome trees , one dull , the other , correct . I certainly couldn't recommend any Trumpiteer kit regardless of subject . Theres way too much correction on anything they have ever passed out on us to make the high cost justifiable . This goes too for their Ranchero kit too..........

#30 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

From what I've read about this kit, it is highly recommended that you "anneal" the photo etched hinge parts before attempting to use them as it seems they are of a brittle nature as they arrive.

#31 wgflatliner

wgflatliner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Thompson

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

yeah i actually built the model.  the hinges are a must-not-have.  other than that, it went together.

for a person just getting in to the hobby, i'd try to avoid it..hehe

#32 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Sipes

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

Just started working on mine alittle. Kudos to Trumpeter for the seperate chrome side trim but I'm glad I decided to glue it in place prior to prepping for paint. It's quite a bear to get off the chrome tree and cleaned up to glue in place. Need to be very careful with the glue as well.

#33 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

Good move Jason.  It's a bit stressful having to scrape fresh paint out of the slot to get them to fit if you do it the other way.

My issue with the hinges was that the wire they give you to use as pins is bigger diameter than the holes it is supposed to go through.

And too hard to successfully "mushroom" over to get it to stay in place if you do get it through.

If you want to risk insanity and build them I suggest using stretched sprue for the pins and smearing over the ends with a hot knife.

#34 beeRS

beeRS

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Full Name:Sonny Quazi

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

What a shame. I have two of these (a convertible and a coupe) in my stash and I have been looking forward to building them for some time. I was very impressed with the kit on first impressions, but inaccuracies as mentioned are a real turn-off. Maybe I will build them a customs or use parts as spares. Those PE hinges are a real nice touch, but of course they're no good if they don't work.

#35 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,872 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

Got the Ranchero just last month thru a Squadron Shop E-mail sale.. Only paid 21.99 for it. Then i get the Monthly Catalog,and it's on SALE from 50.00 to like 48 or so.On close out or like this is the ONLY way I'll buy a Trumpeter CAR kit.I have each one they've sold so far,( except the fire engine)and EACH one of them has some goofy little thing ya GOTTA fix. Nope, not at the prices they're askin! They better be as good as Tamiya kits for THAT kinda cash. Their AIRCRAFT kits are just jewels!

#36 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Got the Ranchero just last month thru a Squadron Shop E-mail sale.. Only paid 21.99 for it. Then i get the Monthly Catalog,and it's on SALE from 50.00 to like 48 or so.On close out or like this is the ONLY way I'll buy a Trumpeter CAR kit.I have each one they've sold so far,( except the fire engine)and EACH one of them has some goofy little thing ya GOTTA fix. Nope, not at the prices they're askin! They better be as good as Tamiya kits for THAT kinda cash. Their AIRCRAFT kits are just jewels!

After seeing the first build-up on the net from the Falcon/Ranchero tool, I gave up on those guys...

They were dealt a great hand, but played lousy.

Oh well....luckily Moebius stepped up and they're much more receptive to customer feedback too.

Edited by Luc Janssens, 16 August 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#37 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Frankly, I won't do box art for Trumpeter any more because of the issues.
Yeah.... they do try to fix some of the errors.... but so many of them do not get fixed.