Model Cars Magazine Forum

As if I needed another project!

2002p51

Got the idea for this yesterday and started to work it to the mock up stage.

Challenger01-vi.jpg

This will be an unlikely Saturday night short track style car. I say unlikely because I'm not going for the vintage look but more of a modern late model type car which, because of the Dodge Challenger body, would be impractical and uncompetitive, if not completely illegal in just about any sanctioning body in the country. Regardless, I'm charging ahead anyway. :D

Challenger02-vi.jpg

The body is an MPC original eBay glue bomb special that I've had for years. The hood is resin from Modelhaus. The paint came off pretty well with some Easy Off. The right side headlight bucket is broken, which won't matter since I'll just plate over it with "aluminum". i.e. Evergreen.

I won't be able to open the wheel wells until I get the chassis almost done and up on wheels so I can see exactly where the tires will hit. I plan on using a set of the wide five hubs and wheels from a Revell ASA Thunderbird kit.

Challenger04-vi.jpg

The majority of the chassis is an AMT Chrysler Kit Kar. I didn't want to use the Chrysler style torsion bar front suspension so I grafted on the front clip from an AMT GM NASCAR Winston Cup kit. I was thinking about also using the truck arm style rear suspension but decided it would be more work than it was worth so I'll stick with the kit leaf spring set-up. (See, I told you it would be impractical and uncompetitive with today's cars!) :D

Challenger03-vi.jpg

The upper hoop and it's supports are made from .080" Evergreen rod. Haven't sourced an engine yet but I have a one or two AMT Duster 340 kits around that would make nice donors.

Anyway, don't know if my modeler's ADD will kick in before I finish this or not because, like most of you, I always have a couple or three or six things going on at once. But if I do make anymore progress I'll be sure to post it here.

Comments and critique are welcome and encouraged even it's just to tell me I'm an idiot for even trying this! :lol:

...This will be an unlikely Saturday night short track style car. I say unlikely because I'm not going for the vintage look but more of a modern late model type car which, because of the Dodge Challenger body, would be impractical and uncompetitive, if not completely illegal in just about any sanctioning body in the country....

You mean something like this?

600812_3381911790038_449521590_n.jpg

Drew, this isn't as far fetched as you might think. Several organizations have sprung up for racing not only restored vintage race cars, but vintage type bodies using modern parts. I was told that Studie up there currently runs in a regular street stock division somewhere in Indiana. They use modern parts, but have no rules on the vintage of bodies, other than they must look stock.

There was also this Hudson that ran in Illinois a couple years ago...Hudson body, jig chassis, small block Chevy engine, modern running gear....

017.jpg

So don't say your Challenger will be impractical.....it could very well run with these guys!

Is that contraption going to be dirt or asphalt? Looks awesome so far!

Yea Tommy, I know about organizations like that. I shoot the Carolina Vintage Stock Car races which runs cars very much like those.

scv02-vi.jpg

scv01-vi.jpg

scv03-vi.jpg

There's mostly not much "vintage" under the sheet metal on these cars.

But what I'm going for is a very different look, albeit the differences may be somewhat subtle.

So, here's the chassis up on all four wheels so now I can start test fitting the body and get the wheel wells opened up.

Challenger05-vi.jpg

And after a half hour or so of Dremel work finishing up with sandpaper wrapped around a paint bottle, this is where I'm at:

Challenger06-vi.jpg

I still need just a tiny bit more clearance around the top of the front tires but the fenders are now paper thin right there. I really want to avoid a bubble in the fenders so I may have to raise the front up a 1/32" or so. We'll see.

I'm not much into racing, (and frankly want to cry seeing all that vintage sheet metal all hacked up)

How do you feel about the same thing in plastic? :D have you seen what these vintage MPC Challengers are going for on eBay lately! :o

The basic engine is a 340 from the AMT '71 Duster.

Challenger07-vi.jpg

The intake is from an AMT Winston Cup car which also gave up it's headers. (They will have to be installed once the engine is in the car.) The valve covers came from my parts box as did the air cleaner. Those little breathers are from Monogram.

I debated with myself about adding the plug wires or not as they will be nearly impossible to see in the final product and as it turns out, it really was a waste of time. The headers will completely obscure them on the sides and the distributor will be mostly hidden under the cowl. Oh well.

(and frankly want to cry seeing all that vintage sheet metal all hacked up) but I'm enjoying this. Looks great.

X2. It's tragic to see the classic bodies get scrapped into the short term gratification of racing. BUT if I was in that crowd I would be enthralled to see them race. I guess I'd just have to drink beer and drown the guilt.

Exciting build you've got. You nailed it about mopars and racing, they're just meant to look scary mean in race garb. Your Challenger looks exactly right. Keep pushin' cuz now you owe us the finished piece :) . Love it.

• 4 weeks later...