#61 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Anyone familiar with an early 80s Cadillac police package? All I know is in the early 80s Oakland, CA got a batch of Cadillac police cars. They turned out to be a nightmare for the department, the media attacked them as a waste of money (luxury police cars) and they had terrible performance making them poor pursuit cars. They didn't last long and caused the department to completely redo their procurement methods. I can't find a single piece of information about them except for my memory of the newspaper articles trashing them. 

#62 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Oh, I'm ALL in for a 77 Nova ... AND an 80-81 Malibu 9C1!  Two awesome bowties.

I had a Nova patrol car ... rang rings around the mainstream mainstay big Mopars.  Any time, any where.  It was a rocket sled that cornered.  Truly a Z-28 on steroids with four doors!  Loved it.  Other than being a little snug, it was one of the very best squads I ever hustled.

#63 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:05 AM

Anyone familiar with an early 80s Cadillac police package? All I know is in the early 80s Oakland, CA got a batch of Cadillac police cars. They turned out to be a nightmare for the department, the media attacked them as a waste of money (luxury police cars) and they had terrible performance making them poor pursuit cars. They didn't last long and caused the department to completely redo their procurement methods. I can't find a single piece of information about them except for my memory of the newspaper articles trashing them. 

I wonder if those were Cavaliers Cimmerons ! Ha ha ha ha !

Early 80's ... the end of Brown's dark reign over the state .

Oops ! He's back again ! My dad still curses him on a daily basis , as do I .

#64 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

In 1980 the city of St Charles Missouri went one better and used Citations!

Rumor was they had to shorten the barrels of their shotguns so they would fit in the vertical rack.

We had a few years of Malibus, but the scout cars were ordered with 6 cylinders.  Traffic got the 350's.

We kept Novas in the Academy EVOC fleet well into the 80's. It was then realized these babies out performed anything on patrol, and none of the lessons learned applied to FWD cars. They still laid rubber all over the lot.

Believe it or not the Celebrity was not bad as an urban patroller. Snug is an apt term, but better than some.

G

#65 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

When my uncle saw my 1972 Coronet for the first time ---I've had it for eight years now--- he said , "Seventy-two , huh ? I'll never forget this year [of these cars] as it was the first year that the [LASD] finally got air conditioning !"

Whittier ( Ca.) , LAPD , LASD , etc. , always had mid-sized cars from as far back as I can remember . LAPD tested and had a small group of 1976 Valiant A38's ; but , they were hampered by a single exhaust / cat con , which whittled the 360's output to 195 hp .

Most were either 318's or 225's ; some had the 360 .

By the way ; the 1978 Fury from Colors (1988) was parked under US 101 Hollywood Freeway at Bushard (across from the main LAPD vehicle storage / repair facility in Downtown ) . Last time I saw it was in 2001 . It was still in that yellow colour ; 360 four barrel. I was stunned when I saw it , caked-over in dust , just sitting under the freeway overpass !

#66 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

I wonder if those were Cavaliers Cimmerons ! Ha ha ha ha !

Early 80's ... the end of Brown's dark reign over the state .

Oops ! He's back again ! My dad still curses him on a daily basis , as do I .

No not Cavalier, these were big like the Ford LTD, so Sedan de Ville or maybe the 1st gen Seville (not the one with the funky truck). Very short period because I was in Jr High so somewhere between 79 and 83.

#67 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Anyone familiar with an early 80s Cadillac police package? All I know is in the early 80s Oakland, CA got a batch of Cadillac police cars.

I remember that the Deerborn Police had a few Lincoln Town Cars donated by Ford.  Also, Montvale, NJ, home to Mercedes Benz of USA  had a couple Mercedes SUVs, all with a donation slogan across the back panel.

Volare-  A while back Randy of Perry's Resin said he had the 4 door sedan ready to cast since they were big cop cars in Canada. I guess he never got around to casting them.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 17 April 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#68 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Revell had a small display with some test shots and boxes of their upcoming releases at the Milwaukee NNL last Saturday. They had the box for the '57 Ford Police Car and it looked pretty good.