Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro-touring style C3 vette

exesivefire

Andy, VERY cool build and your flares make the car. Regarding the splitter and the vertical vanes that support it, they look way too thick for the car and makes the front end look "heavy". Maybe only half or 1/3 as thick as you show them now? Constructive criticism I assure you as I really like the build you've started. And this from a Ford guy. Cheers, Tim

Andy, VERY cool build and your flares make the car. Regarding the splitter and the vertical vanes that support it, they look way too thick for the car and makes the front end look "heavy". Maybe only half or 1/3 as thick as you show them now? Constructive criticism I assure you as I really like the build you've started. And this from a Ford guy. Cheers, Tim

Only thing you have to consider is the amount of force that would be holding

Edited by exesivefire

Looks fantastic. More and more Vettes like this are starting to turn out at the autocross events on the Good Guys shows and at events around the country. I personally love the look of it.

Can't wait to see it finished. What color is it going to be?

Looks fantastic. More and more Vettes like this are starting to turn out at the autocross events on the Good Guys shows and at events around the country. I personally love the look of it.

Can't wait to see it finished. What color is it going to be?

Thinking a darker silver

Love the stance and the flares worked out perfect without making it appear gaudy, it doesn't have to have the front splitter to look really aggressive, but might add some winglets on the ends to the flares, would serve to strengthen the splitter and keep air from spilling off the ends and direct it over the flares for a little more downforce.

One very good thing about the design and execution of the flares on this model is that they enhance the original design, look like they belong there, and don't scream for attention. Raising the wheel arches on this car to allow for a lower stance is a natural, and you've done a fine job on the proportions and contours.

FYI, this is similar to Chip Foose's design philosophy. He likes to do mods so that you see there's something different about his cars, but you don't quite know what...only that they look somehow...better.

You've hit that golden spot with this model. Still instantly recognizable as what it is, but just a whole lot better...without any tacky overblown garbage.

One very good thing about the design and execution of the flares on this model is that they enhance the original design, look like they belong there, and don't scream for attention. Raising the wheel arches on this car to allow for a lower stance is a natural, and you've done a fine job on the proportions and contours.

FYI, this is similar to Chip Foose's design philosophy. He likes to do mods so that you see there's something different about his cars, but you don't quite know what...only that they look somehow...better.

You've hit that golden spot with this model. Still instantly recognizable as what it is, but just a whole lot better...without any tacky overblown garbage.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to do, stuff that makes you try and figure out what exactly was done. That splitter was tricky because it pushed the edge there, but I really didn't want to do your traditional "chin"

funny you ask Pat...

So I had been fighting this thing for days, I sacrificed a C6 chassis trying to graft the front clip to the C3. I was having mild success, but I wasnt "feeling it". I took a day off, and came back at it today, thought I would just start from scratch, Ive had this hair brained idea of using a C5R drivetrain... I had the box open (kit I got cheap at a swap meet) and it hit me...

3326F79B-C5E0-461A-B40B-D5D1D220825B_zps

The suspension was the PERFECT width front and rear by pure dumb luck, the holes in the spindles were even already the same miss match sizes for the pins I put in my wheels already. I Had to try it, after all I was stealing the drivetrain anyway...

Started hacking... Rear came off, then re worked the roof line.

48D0E5DA-6B2A-464C-A193-F8822ED9A861_zps

Floor braces are temp, Don't pay a ton of attention to them.

B3FBC941-FA8E-4F42-B844-B2D7D1D47103_zps

this was almost too easy

624EDA90-2E02-4D85-8DB1-9F62EB591F52_zps

E61490AC-5E5E-41E8-A4A2-81921359C299_zps

364FA3D1-04C0-4454-9314-F47B886BD543_zps

Need a bit of work to the rear, but I can manage that.. This thing just got a bit more nutty....

• Like 2