Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 MPC 427 Cobra

MPi-KM

I built this kit back in the 80's, and all in all with some work it makes for a nice model.

Be prepared to deal with some poor attachment points on chrome parts and be careful removing them from the sprue. With some extra detailing and attention to basics it will build nicely- wish I had one in my stash right now.

I have 2, one a neighbor gave me when she cleaned her son's stuff out of the garage. The other, a friend from my club gave me. Going to build one and cannabalize the other for another project. Overall it's seems like a really decent kit.

Edited by 58 Impala

This thread reminds me my Airfix issue I purchased new back in the early 80s is still waiting in my do do pile.

I have machined a few parts for it and recently got some Zero paint so I need to get serious.

This kit looks to me to be very well done and a step above what was being offered from the industry back at that time.

All of these kits ( all being the same kit) ARE great. Lots of detail and lots of room for more detail. The only caveat,one of the reissues had the whole clear tree tinted dark. B)

Yes, the tinted glass was in one of the MPC boxed releases.

I had two kits purchased about a year apart in the 80's that looked identical on the packaging with the tinted glass and quality of the chrome job being the only difference under the shrink wrap. I made one built model out of the two kits as one had a few broken parts on the chrome tree and some puddled chrome over excess clear under the plating.

• 2 weeks later...

I built a few of the originals back in the early 80's ( 2 for two different friends , 1 for my-self ) and was overall pleased with the kit . The biggest thing assembly-wise that sticks out to me ---actually , quite fresh in my mind some 30+ years later--- is the windscreen-to-frame fitment is horrible !

Other than that , it was a great kit :) .